Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3300 06/04/00 01:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a pet peeve:

Why, in the US, do we have an Eastern seaboard but not a Western one? Why an upper tier of states but not a lower? Why a Pacific Northwest (pleonasm aside) and not an Atlantic Northeast?

#3301 06/04/00 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While there may be some inconsistency to these, the nomenclature that makes no sense geographically is Midwestern (divided into upper and lower) -- at the extreme we have Ohio and Indiana as Midwestern states. I suppose there is a historical explanation, but the map tells me they are "mideastern".

It may be that the Pacific Northwest is so named to prevent confusion with the Northwest Territories. As to the Western Seaboard, that would be California. :-)

#3302 06/05/00 05:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, the term "midwest" befuddles me, too. Ohio is due north of Georgia, where I live, and this is definitely East Coast. Perhaps "midwest" was coined by early cartographers, when wagon trains were still rolling westward, ho!

#3303 07/14/00 07:23 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Would it really be that interesting if the US were named so symmetrically? The "Atlantic Northeast" is referred to as New England because it was heavily settled by people from England, and it was their new home so they called it, oh my gosh, New England. It's really no different than New Jersey, New Amsterdam/York, New Hampshire, or any "new" geographic names.

As for the Midwest, it was once called the Northwest because when the US was young and relatively small (pre Louisiana Purchase, 1803) Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois were the northwest. Congressmen from these young wippersnapper states were called warhawks in the war of 1812 because they wanted to experience a war like their fathers got to in the Revolutionary war. Yes, these new western states were represented by young, immature politicians. But anyway, when the Louisiana Purchase was made, this area became known as the Old Northwest, because it was no longer the northwest. I would assume that when these states became the middle of the US, they wanted to retain the "west" so they took the moniker "Midwest".

#3304 07/15/00 11:49 AM
P
addict
addict
P
I recall that in Alastair Cooke's BBC TV series "America", he was filmed in his library in front of a huge wall of books about America, and he told us that the books on each state were in approximately the same place on his wall as the states were on the map of America. As a former librarian, I wonder what his classification system was called?

#3305 07/15/00 03:16 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
not really u.s. geography, but i sometimes wonder about the old upside-down map thing. since maps are showing us what we can't see with our eyes, how do they affect our vision of where we see ourselves. the upside-down map shows australia on the top and europe on the bottom. this is a bit of fun for australians (reminds me of barnum barnum claiming england in 1988), but it makes me think further away into space and if we map space in the same way. growing up in the southern hemisphere is lonely. when we are taught about the northern hemisphere being the top of the world at least it feels that way. i want to ask if the nomenclature of the west in the u.s. has something to do with image and distance from "civilisation" rather than compass direction?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 569 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith