Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
addict
addict
F
First I must say how great it is to see the bold red handle of wordsmith appear on the board, and how happy I am to respond.

As far as access to a dictionary goes, I imagine most of us here have our own list of favorite reference sites, but perhaps other users would appreciate a reasonably short list of suggested dictionary/thesaurus/etymology/etc. sites. One that leaps to mind is the one at Max's great AWADabilia site, so maybe a link there is all that is needed (or we could see if Max wouldn't mind wordsmith.org stealing the list so it would fit the new design scheme). I'd hate to see the site endorse (officially or just by association) one particular reference site (unless it provides some much-needed operating expenses, I suppose!)

Good luck with the new look!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

Thanks for that walkthough, OT - good to know we're in safe hands with a pair of T-ITs to lead us

Maverick, I have a feeling that you'd follow a good pair of T-ITs anywhere. [giggle emoticon]

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Oh gosh, if we're fantasizing here: links to dictionaries and thesauri (?) would be terrific. And how about a spell-checker? An informal chat room?

Thank you so much for this site.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a while back I had an exchange with some other logophiliac(?) webmasters regarding a 'web ring' for verbivores (and I mentioned this in an aside to jazzo). I got a warm response from kevin johnson (of Spizzerinctum) and mild interest from Mike Quinion. what do you folks think of this idea?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a second to tsuwm's suggestion of links to other word sites (but a pop up window-- warning them they are leaving AWAD-- (good sense too, since new google type browsers look for how well linked up you are..)

and what i would like is

1) a copy of sent mail not just recieved
2) a utility for forwarding my mail (both sent and recieved) to my (home/business) email address..

a third thing would be some sort of Add functions (limited--) to Aenegma.. so that YART would be added.. and maybe even that other word...

some more mark up would be nice..
so that we could make horizontal bars (rules/lines) instead of doing this..
* * * * * * *...or ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ or what ever
graphics, and up loading files, well that get scary.. there are lots of viruses.. but maybe some more emoticons? and color..

I had fun with Mavericks "blank subject" line.. and enjoy color.. (even though its a pain to do all the mark up) how about some secret options -- for use to find, if we can.. easter eggs if you will...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
- Sent mail copies? I second the motion.

- Expanded emoticon list? Suggestions anyone?... Confused? Melancholy? Drunk?

- Spell Checker? I like the "random" spell checker we have (can we make it more so?). It has forced me to look up those words I am not confident spelling, and in doing so is has become a tool which heals the wound, not band-aid over the cut. A flavor of the east in a overly western meal.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Ok, y'all, I have a second design possibility for your perusal now. It's at http://home.att.net/~lovelandjazz/wordsmith/layout2.jpg. It's just a giant image, because I haven't written it out in code yet, so it may take a bit to load and none of the links work. (You can't click on it.)

It has all the same information, just organized in a different manner. This version would only require six images to load as opposed to ten.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> I like the "random" spell checker we have (can we make it more so?). It has forced me to look up those words I am not confident spelling, and in doing so is has become a tool which heals the wound, not band-aid over the cut. A flavor of the east in a overly western meal.

I agree. Don't get rid of Aenigma, please! Which site can boast of an almost-human spell checker?
--
Jazz.. I like the new design very much .. it does not draw attention to itself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jazz, I want to add my thanks for your wonderful initiative. I think I prefer your second version, though I'll go with the consensus.

Two requests:

a. Please keep it as simple and fast-loading as possible, for us modem-challenged ones.

2. Please get rid of the signature line option when you get around to architecting® the 'Edit Profile' section.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
architecting®

and please give us an alternative to the {tongue} that is much more explicitly and graphically a BIG FAT RASPBERRY

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith