Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
>But the thought is you don't "eat" lipstick.

I read somewhere not too long ago that the average US'n woman inadvertently ingests something like 8 pounds of lipstick over the course of a lifetime. So much for not eating lipstick...

S
S
How about bat poop (called guano) for mascara. Now you know why I hate make-up!

#31874 06/12/01 07:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Since the only sizable deposits of bat guano are in large caves inhabited by vampire bats as well as insect eating bats, the droppings may be heavily contaminated with rabies virus, of which vampire bats are often carriers. Not merely a yucky ingredient for cosmetics, a potentially lethal one!

#31875 06/12/01 08:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh the things we women do for beauty!--

I did't know about the guano connection-- does it have to be bat guano(Satin)? I didn't think there was much of a market left for guano-- NY South Street Museum has an old 3 masted sailing ship that was a guano carrier-- and it hasn't carried any cargo for 30 years or so, and had has been cleaned and painted.. and it still stinks! -- I would not have wanted to be a crew member when there was a fresh cargo aboard!

And Dr bill is the rabies vaccine found in excetia? I know it is found in saliva, and tear ducts (there was a case about ten year ago of a out doors/free lance lumberjack who was killed in a car accident-- he had signed a donor card-- and his cornias were transplanted.. the recipient later died of rabies.. Its thought the lumberjack had contracted rabies (which lead to his car accident) unknowingly..

and most makeup compounds are sterilized as they are made... I hope the ones that use bat guano are!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: I have read that bat urine can have rabies virus in it, and since it is in the saliva, I would expect it to be in feces. I have read about spelunkers (cave enthusiasts) getting rabies presumably from contact with bat droppings. I can't see any justification for making cosmetics from loathesome materials. New England was free of rabies fifty years ago, and so was Canada. But occasional bats were found to be rabid, and it spread to animals that lived in same caves, presumably. The biggest threat now is from racoons, who can be carriers without any symptoms. I also read of a corneal transplant patient dying of rabies. The donor was said to have been a forest ranger, who died of rabies which was not diagnosed until after the corneal transplant patient died.
I saw a bunch of URL's about bat guano and rabies virus, but none were suitable for including here.

#31877 06/13/01 03:06 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
If you don't mind a non-word digression, I can tell you some things about guano. In the late 60's, I acted as a ship's husband (vessel and charterer's agent) for ships importing guano from Chile. It was sold by a huge company called Chilean Nitrate Corp. Back then there were literally mountains of guano deposited by birds on the shore and islands in Chile. It was dug up with bulldozers and cranes with huge clamshell buckets and loaded in bulk in ships and brought here, when the process was reversed. It was a dry whitish-grey powder with very little odor. We also took care of ships importing fish meal, also from Chile. Fish meal was made from the small fish which the birds ate to produce guano, and was a brown coarse powder also with very little odor when dry, imported in 100-lb. bags. But if fish meal was allowed to get wet, not only did it smell to high heaven, it would also catch fire by spontaneous combustion, like a manure pile. No one wanted to get within 2 blocks of our dock when fishmeal was being worked in rainy weather. One of my coworkers took a bag home to put on his roses and by the next day had at least 50 cats digging up his garden. Both of these industries were done in by El Niño, which caused a shift in the ocean currents so that the vast schools of anchovies, which were used for fish meal and eaten by the birds, moved away from the coast of Chile and have never returned.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not to argue with a doctor about this (and at the risk of incurring the "Wrath of AnnaS"® for getting off word-topic) but I would question the ability of the rabies virus to survive any appreciable length of time out side the host.

#31879 06/13/01 03:48 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
hmm, it only just now occurred to me to look sempiternal up, to see if it can stand on its own as an adjective, and the etymology (from Latin sempiternus : semper, always + aeternus, eternal) suggests that the word is self-redundant

I don't think that's quite right, though I can't be sure what did happen in Latin. The long vowel of aeternus would (I think) contract to a long I in sempIternus (cf. -cIde from caedo 'kill'), but it's short. So it's presumably the same suffix as in ae-ternus (< aevi-ternus) and hes-ternus 'of yesterday' (related to the English). I suppose the R of semper was lost by dissimilation in sempiternus, but it's not a regular form so I'm not sure what happened.

Before I researched this I assumed diurnus and nocturnus contained the same suffix, and the lack of T in the first was confusing me: but it seems that they're unconnected.

The Latin dictionary (on-line Lewis & Short) glosses sempiternus as existing day-by-day throughout all of time, whereas aeternus transcends time, or exists age-by-age.

#31880 06/13/01 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Latin dictionary (on-line Lewis & Short) glosses sempiternus as existing day-by-day throughout all of time, whereas aeternus transcends time, or exists age-by-age.

Hmm. Both words are used in the Mass. It might be instructive to see in what context they are used. I know we have requiem aeternum in the Requiem Mass. I can't think of any specific instances of sempiternus but I'm sure it won't take too much research.

#31881 06/13/01 05:20 PM
H
addict
addict
H
In reading something the other day about Elizabeth I, I came across the following on the use of various odd and hazardous compounds to enhance womanly beauty:

"[Elizabeth] whitened her skin by applying powder made of ground alabaster. She also used lotions consisting of beeswax, ass's milk, and even the ground jawbones of hogs. It is likely that she took even more drastic whitening measures, which included application of a substance compounded of white lead and vinegar and another mixture consisting of borax and sulfur. To redden her lips in pleasing contrast to the artificial pallor of her complexion, she may have used a popular concoction of red ocher and red crystalline mercuric sulfide, as well as cochineal, a red dye made from the ground-up bodies of the scaly red cochineal insect....Renaissance women routinely bleached freckles and other "blemishes" with a mixture of birch tree sap, ground brimstone (sulfur), oil of turpentine, and sublimate of mercury. In time such preparations left the skin almost in a state of mummification."

None for me, thanks.

(I thought I'd given up commenting on the vagaries of Ænigma, but for ocher the mad beast proposed Oconomowoc! 'Zlids!)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith