About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31532 06/08/01 12:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I used an inflected form of the transitive verb "to slather" while enjoying lunch with a woman from Japan today and stopped her in her linguistic tracks. I used it correctly -- to describe butter smeared thickly on toast -- but could not respond when she asked me from whence this interesting verb came? Etymologists to the front, please.

#31533 06/08/01 02:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OED says Of obscure origin.

looking around a bit more, I was rewarded with this sidebar on the noun form of slather:

Daring hypothesis: English words for “mud”, “near-mud”, “dried-mud”, and “mud like” outnumber Eskimo words for “snow”, “near-snow”, etc. etc.

Can this be true? Let’s have a look! (GJV)
Sludge, muck, slush, rile, slut, slime, bog, stabble (mud made by footprints), marsh, swill, ooze, slip, morass, slunk (a muddy or marshy place), mere, pulk, swamp, cay, blash, baygall, quag, quagmire, sump, slosh, sludge, squash, wichert (white, chalky mud, Bucks.), sleech (mud deposited by a river), clart, fen, humus, slough, bauger, slabber, warp (a moist bed of alluvial sediment), mush, chaitia (dried mud), gumbo, slumgullion (a muddy deposit in a mining sluice, US), slop, wallow, squad (dial., soft mud), slurry (thin mud or cement), parafango (a mixture of mud and paraffin), sludder, stodge (thick, tenacious mud), quicksand, schlich, slake (mud left by the tide), soss (a slop, Sc), cloam (potter’s mud), sinkhole, gunk, goo, clay, slob[Ir], palus, mire, slather (thin mud, Yorks.), sewerage (street mud), adobe (dried mud), limus, silt, loam, smirch, clag (mud entangled with wool on sheep), and this is only a start. Source: OED2

#31534 06/08/01 02:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Since lather functions in the same descriptive way (i.e...lather it on), perhaps the addition of the "S" is a colloquial exaggeration? Maybe even brought about by the contraction of the term "lots of lather"? I tend to use "slathered it on" or "slather it on" when I mean "coating it extra-heavily in a sloppy sort of way."

#31535 06/08/01 10:22 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I agree that it seems very likely 'slather' comes from lather Whitman, especially considering the Old English meaning of lather, 'to cover with'. Maybe 'lather' has been combined with 's' because so many words with similar meanings start with 's', e.g. slap on, slop. A portmanteau? An odd onomatopoeic invention from lather? Either way it's is great sounding word.

aside: Any Aussies remember 'Slip,Slap,Slop'

#31536 06/08/01 01:36 PM
S
S
I always suspected (without reason or support) that is was a portmanteau of 'spread' and 'lather,' or something similar. Probably goes back a long time.

#31537 06/11/01 05:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Slather is a really good word when you want lots of something, like marmalade or jam on your toast ... if you're dealing with someone who tends to be mingy with the spread!

That said, how come we slather only onto flat things ... you don't slather hot fudge on ice cream but you can slather whipped cream on the cake ... or slather paint on a wall.

Glad you're back with us Father Steve ... all moved in and settled?

#31538 06/11/01 05:44 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
how come we slather only onto flat things

I feel that slathering involved a flat instrument used to spread the stuff, like a knife, for butter, or a putty knife, for polyfilla, and so on. Anyway, you don't use a knife to put hot fudge on ice cream. However, that might be just my interpretation! (mmm...getting hungry...)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith