OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I think the word "gaming" suggests a range of tactics that is hard to match with a more conventional word such as "playing".

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I am so flabergasted all I can say also is AAAARGH!

chronist

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wordcrazy: Being "flabbergasted" suggests you could see a preferable alternative conventional word.
I challenge you to suggest one that conveys the desired meaning in a more acceptable way. wwh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
always up for a challenge, I am.

They don't help matters by going and carving each other up on a personal basis every day," Mr. Davis said. "Kerns and Buyer are gaming this in an inappropriate fashion. Each one of them has come to me to try to get the other guy out. It ain't going to work that way."

we don't have the entire context, but it seems clear that Kerns and Buyer are each trying to *manipulate the outcome of the situation. thus we could eschew obfuscation by saying: "Burns and Keyer are maneuvering in an inapropriate fashion." gaming makes it sound (at best, benefit of doubt) like they're involved in some Think Tank which is tooled (:-Þ) with Gaming Theory.

if I really felt the need to make a games analogy, I might go for "jockeying" or "finessing" or (taking a closer look at the context) "end-running".

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I must humbly admit that I don't see using gaming as a verb in this sentence as butchery so much as I see this as a sentence once begun needing an end.

Speaking for the record, as it were, is devilishly difficult. The back of the mind is concerned about saying something out of turn, the sub-conscious is worried about looking and sounding like an idiot, and the mouth must move. Finally, the general rush media people are always in does not allow for reflection and artful choice of words on the part of the interview victim. I too have butchered my share of quotes and hoped the next day that my friends and family don't read the newspaper I was quoted in!

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Thanks to all the time I have spent on AWAD I have begun to recognise Butchery. From the help menu of Dreamweaver:
"The Layers panel is a way to manager the layers in your document."

R
R
Perhaps the writer was aware of the word gamesmanship and was trying to evoke that sense. Whatever the motive, however, I don't like it.

J
old hand
old hand
J
"The Layers panel is a way to manager the layers in your document."

R is next to E on the qwerty keyboard. That could be a legitimate typo.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Here's a fine one I heard today -

From a letter of recommendation:

"We hardily recommend .... for an award."

Ack. Just goes to show, once again, that (IMHO) anyone who relies on spell checkers should have all his/her (!) toys taken away. (grump grump)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith