Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#30942 - 06/05/01 07:03 PM Re: Anyone game for more butchery?
Rapunzel Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania
"We hardily recommend .... for an award."

Ugh. I also detest the frequent confusion of pore/pour, as in "she poured over the book." [teeth-grinding e]

#30943 - 06/05/01 08:18 PM Re: Anyone game for more butchery?
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"We hardily recommend .... for an award."

It seems obvious that "hardily" should have been "heartily". Not clear what the mistake should be called. It is more than a typo, and unlikely to be a double typo.

#30944 - 06/06/01 03:56 AM Re: Anyone game for more butchery?
rodward Offline
addict

Loc: Portsmouth, United Kingdom
"... after 14 days it will automatically be effectuated".

I read this yesterday on a newly installed system. I think it will give me nightmares for a while.

Rod

#30945 - 06/06/01 07:41 AM Re: Anyone game for more butchery?
maverick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"she poured over the book."

Ah. You've seen my wife's skill with a wine bottle?

#30946 - 06/06/01 08:21 AM Re: Anyone game for more butchery?
of troy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: rego park
It might be one one writer has called "sonic errors" a case of having heard an expression, and not quite understanding it, but using it... similar to mondegreens... like hares breathe (not hairs breadth), If you don't know the the words or expression.. a firm recommendation --might be misconstrued as a hard-- and then Hardily seems to make sense..

I sometime feel at the cusp-- i am very bright-- but not well educatated-- but somewhat well read.. but if i were less well read-- or less educated. or less bright.. and passed throught the "education mill"..

Jay Leno, the comedian, has a weekly special.. "Jaywalking" where he goes out and asks "simple questions"-- and see the kind of answers he gets-- recently, with the US release of "Pearl Harbor" he asked questions like-
"When was Pearl Harbor bombed?" , "Who bombed it?" "Who was the war between?", "When was the beginning of WWII?"-- the anwsers included 1924, 1967, the Hawaiins (bombed it) we were at war with the chinese.

Obviously, right answers don't get on the show... but the there is no shortage of people providing wrong answers.. and they don't all seem to be faking... I like to think its not just the average american who is this uneducated!

#30947 - 06/06/01 09:04 AM Sonic errors
Bean Offline
old hand

I like the name sonic errors, Helen! My husband has one that he always does - I can't remember it offhand - he knows the right word but now he's been saying the wrong one too long...I guess it's not a big deal. But I hate to think of someone hearing him and thinking nasty thoughts, like "Boy, what an uneducated lout!" when it's really just one little ingrained mistake, and of course he's quite un-lout-y!

#30948 - 06/06/01 12:39 PM Re: Sonic errors
tberg Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
"I like the name sonic errors, Helen! My husband has one that he always does - I can't remember it offhand - he knows the right word but now he's been saying the wrong one too long...I guess it's not a big deal. But I hate to think of someone hearing him and thinking nasty thoughts, like "Boy, what an uneducated lout!" when it's really just one little ingrained mistake, and of course he's quite un-lout-y! "

Bean, This reminds me of one my boyfriend always does. Spanish was his first language. He speaks perfect English but he has a problem with the English conjunction "so" used to mean "therefore". He uses "for" instead of "so", as in "we cross the street with the light so we won't get flattened by a semi". I believe this is because in Spanish the word "por" can mean somewhat the same thing as "therefore", but is translated literally as "for". I am guessing at this. I have always thought it was kinda cute, but the man even writes "for" in the place of "so"!

texasteri

#30949 - 06/06/01 02:58 PM Re: Common Errors
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
We have a travelling game we play - the word "accommodation" is one of the most used and most mis-spelled words in tourist areas both here and elsewhere. We look for signs which have it spelled either "acommodation" or "accomodation". There are no points and no prizes, but, hey! who needs 'em?

#30950 - 06/06/01 03:43 PM Re: Common Errors
nikeblack Offline
journeyman

Loc: City of Brotherly Love, no not...
I think "sonic errors" nails it. I also think many usage errors, especially in spoken English, stem from the fact that (alert, generalization ahead), many people don't read much and if they do read they're reading attrociously written prose. Another of my pet peeves (yes, I am often peevish ), is idiom butchery. Naturally, I can't think of a good one just now, but I'm sure y'all know just what I mean!

#30951 - 06/06/01 04:19 PM Re: Common Errors
AnnaStrophic Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: lower upstate New York
written idiom butchery:

speak my peace
one in the same
blessing in the skies

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8748 Members
16 Forums
13809 Topics
215563 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
grannygoose, BondNickles, bobwar, Johnreed28, Lakshman
8748 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 96
endymion6 92
wofahulicodoc 88
A C Bowden 54
Tromboniator 11
tuhin 2
Jorg 1
chicablanca 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10523
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
LukeJavan8 6608
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith