Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3066 - 09/08/00 06:06 AM Re: Attitude to Expletives
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
In fact, Martha's Vineyard, Mass., had an extraordinarily large deaf community several hundred years ago

How did this come to be, please?

#3067 - 09/08/00 09:11 AM Re: Attitude to Expletives
Brandon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Mountain West, USA
Martha's Vineyard deaf population...How did this come to be, please?

Extracted from http://marthasvineyard.com/html/penn/history.htm

"As a result, intermarriage among Chilmarkers brought out a genetic tendency for deafness. At one time more than one-quarter of Chilmark's residents were deaf and could not speak. Old time Vineyarders remember people signing in Chilmark rather than speaking, a difference, not a disability."

There are also records of hearing people on the island using sign language to communicate with other hearing people, even when no deaf were present.

You can also check out the book "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard" by Nora Ellen Groce. Harvard University Press.

#3068 - 09/13/00 05:24 AM Re: Attitude to Expletives
Bridget Offline
addict

Loc: Sydney Australia
Also try 'Seeing Voices' by Oliver Sacks. This talks about the deaf and how they communicate more generally than just Martha's Vineyard, but is absolutely fascinating. (Mind you, I love Oliver Sacks because he starts from the premise of difference rather than disability.)
As for citing sign language, Brandon, keep it up!

#3069 - 01/16/01 03:52 AM Re: Attitude to Expletives
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'll dig this thread out of the mists of time in case anyone wants to look at it in relation to the "words which inflict excrucuating pain" thread. I would have just posted a link but everytime I go past the first page it transmogrifies into another thread. Maybe moving it up the pile will sort out the links. It does, of course digress, like all other threads!!!

#3070 - 01/16/01 08:37 AM Re: Attitude to Expletives
Sparteye Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thank you for bringing this thread up, jmh.

Brandon, I have a question for you. Has anyone tried to use ASL to communicate with autistic people? My son is a high functioning autistic, but struggles so with verbal language processing that I have wondered whether he could better handle language by using his visual learning skills.

#3071 - 01/16/01 11:22 AM Re: ASL in the Islands
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England, USA
In Hawaii there is an ASL presence and also Gaulladet College. Dearfness and hearing loss is rampant among Native Hawaiians so, through the help of Senator Inouye, Gallaudet has a school in Honolulu. You can start with the basics and go all the way to final certification as a teacher or interpreter of ASL. If you want to learn ASL might as well learn it in Hawaii!!!
wow

#3072 - 01/16/01 05:43 PM Behaviour of links to other threads
Marty Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
...I would have just posted a link but everytime I go past the first page it transmogrifies into another thread. Maybe moving it up the pile will sort out the links.

I don't think so, Jo. I find that all cross-thread links behave that way. They're OK when I view them in threaded mode, and the first page is OK in flat mode, but if I click another page number or Show All in flat mode, I go to a completely different thread as you found. This applies whether the link has been referred to with showflat.pl or showthreaded.pl in the url.

Can someone with a better understanding of HTML and browser behaviour provide an explanation and/or solution?

#3073 - 01/16/01 09:34 PM Re: Expletives/threads
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England, USA
Can someone with a better understanding of HTML and browser behaviour provide an explanation

Whatever you do, you're screwed........
she said in an effort to knit together two aspects of current thread.
wow

#3074 - 01/16/01 10:24 PM Re: Expletives/threads
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
Had a quick look at the HTML - it appears that all behaviour is determined by the server, which is what I would expect. It's a bug, but think of it as a feature ... Microsoft always does.

#3075 - 01/18/01 04:12 AM Re: Behaviour of links to other threads
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah

>I find that all cross-thread links behave that way. They're OK when I view them in threaded mode, and the first page is OK in flat mode, but if I click another page number or Show All in flat mode, I go to a completely different thread as you found. This applies whether the link has been referred to with showflat.pl or showthreaded.pl in the url.

It may be my computer. It seems to be fine on the threads that are on the first couple of pages in each section, after that, they all go loopy. If I bring a thread to the front it sorts itself out (for me, anyway). Are you saying that you still cannot view this thread without it tangling up?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8727 Members
16 Forums
13804 Topics
214800 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
ShellsnBells, charmingthemuse, toddster, Mussaf, meliza
8727 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 104
endymion6 102
jenny jenny 72
wofahulicodoc 64
Bazr 33
A C Bowden 32
tsuwm 8
Tromboniator 8
Faldage 4
FoFong 3
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10521
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6390
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith