Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Recently, an American I spoke to said this.
Is the use of the prep. 'on' instead of 'in' common in informal speech in this case? Perhaps it's use is related to the ubiquitous on-line?

B
old hand
old hand
B
We say "in line" here. I read about this somewhere, but I no longer remember where. I think it's a regional thing. That requires everyone to put their two cents in, so we can figure it out!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In Michigan, one stands in line, and always in line. If you want to be on line, log onto the net.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Wales, ditto. In reserve, in reply, in these circumstances... An exception: on station.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On line-- is on the net and it is also how one queues up. - In NYC (and it is a regionalism) we wait on line-- (and orders other--"Wait your turn-- get on (the) line!" we might be in line for a promotion or pay raise., or get about on in line skates.

I think it is found in other areas of North east-- but it is very strong in NYC. (and NYer's like the english, are pretty good about forming a line-- we don't bunch around-- but organize ourselves into lines-- and as for "cutting the line"-- sometimes we are okay with it-- other times you take your life in your hand! -- street smarts includes knowing when you can cut the line.)

and we set our tables--

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
In England we still "queue up", "join the queue" or tell others to "go to the end of the queue."

The phrase, "in line," is used increasingly and is understood by most people.

S
S
Agreed - NYC is a relatively isolated pocket of standing 'on' line. The Midwest and West, and the Atlantic coast are all right 'in' line. I have, however, heard in the Gateway City, 'jumping queue' (as opposed to 'cutting the/in line') once or twice, though I imagine it's more about the people with whom I associate than anything like genuine regional variation.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
As Rhuby said it's queues in England. And some people unfortunately do jump them. You might say someone cut in on you, but I think that's more for traffic.

Bingley

Bingley
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> get about on in line skates.

Is that the 'let's see how many prepositions I can get in a row' method.[grin] While we're on these prep./noun to adjective conglomerates, what about 'on-street' and 'off-street'.
BTW, do any of you use online (or on-line) in the sense of 'in progess' or 'ongoing', e.g. an online project, debate etc. or is everyone pretty much sick of it by now?

G
G
what about 'on-street' and 'off-street'.
This made me muse on so much of what we say that makes no sense whatsoever. "My next door neighbor" - (but then this may just be regional) acutally it is "My next house neighbor"
Anyway, I can cut & paste on this board!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith