J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>Jo--I am shocked!!

Glad to see you are all awake!

I was looking at lastminute.com they were offering bookings made in the last minute of each hour in pennies not pounds so a quick trip to Oz via Jakarta sounds very tempting. I'll bring Haggis.

#3047 06/15/00 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>. I'll bring Haggis. <<
Oh, Jo--ick, ick, I'm going to be sick! How in the world
did anybody EVER think to do something like that?? But
then again, we have souse.

#3048 06/15/00 03:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>And have you noticed what an inordinate time women (and it usually is women) in films seem to spend wandering around in their underwear for no readily apparent reason?<<
Bingley, I can't help but wonder: if the film industry had
a history of having mostly female producers and
directors, whether it would be primarily males on-screen
in their underwear.

#3049 06/15/00 07:09 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Jackie

I thought you were a woman of some sophistication! I have been responsible for converting many people to the joys of haggis http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/haggis1.html
For those unable to catch the real thing we also have vegetarian haggis (ideal for the feint hearted).

The main thing is to get a very good quality haggis. Once you have , you can settle down with a wee dram and recite the pome: http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/toahaggi.html

Sorry that this is off the main topic but soem things just have to be nipped in the bud!!!:-)

#3050 06/16/00 08:15 AM
R
addict
addict
R
> I can't help but wonder: if the film industry had
a history of having mostly female producers and
directors, whether it would be primarily males on-screen
in their underwear.

Jane Campion wrote, directed and produced The Piano starring Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel. Both of the stars wear considerably less than underwear in it but would you really believe that the beauty of this film is diminished by nudity?

In one scene Keitel, who is infatuated with Hunter buys her piano but cannot play himself, walks around the piano takes off his nightgown and dusts the surface. I asked a lot of my female friends if they thought this was obscene. They all replied to the contrary. In a closing scene they both engage in sex but we see it through the eyes of her jilted husband (played by Sam Neill) who can only glimpse the couple through holes in Keitel's wooden shack walls.

Voyeurism? I don't think so and your mind is constantly distracted away from the couple with the suspense of what may happen next. This is a film that uses nudity and love-making to a high-level and doesn't cheapen it. The metaphors and imagery in the film are rich and, if you are one to instantly switch off when nudity is displayed on celluloid, you will have missed a beautiful and very satisfying film. If only there were more like it.

This is a film which clearly does not exploit either men or women (but does point out the sexual inequalities of the late Victorian period and includes some wonderfully funny matriarchal characters) and uses sex and nudity in an acceptable and cultured way. Clearly there is a lot to be said for your point, Jackie. The woman's viewpoint in film-making can make a difference to its quality. I'm certainly getting a bit sick of the constant thread of films which are being made for 'male' audiences by the male-dominated industry. I'm an ardent film-goer but I find myself moving closer and closer towards the fringe of film-making of the 'Sundance', Cannes, Berlin variety due to the growing crassness of the 'Hollywood' style.

#3051 06/16/00 12:01 PM
P
addict
addict
P
Jackie: no need to apologise -- the term 'slab' is used for both beer and chocolate, and also for concrete (which nobody has mentioned yet, probably because it's not digestible!) -- and now also bacon!

We should be able to link up soon with the long-running 'bread rolls' thread!

#3052 06/16/00 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>We should be able to link up soon with the long-running 'bread rolls' thread!

...with 'buns' leaning in our direction?

#3053 06/16/00 07:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think my faint heart can take much more of this thread: now, of ALL members, The Supreme Universal Word Master is bordering on the obscene !?! I NEVER would have
thought that of you, Tsuwm.

#3054 06/16/00 07:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>bordering on the obscene

that's some wide border!

#3055 06/16/00 07:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>-- the term 'slab' is used for both beer and chocolate, and also for concrete (which nobody has mentioned yet, probably because it's not digestible!) -- and now also bacon!

We should be able to link up soon with the long-running 'bread rolls' thread!<<

Well, paulb--so far at your party, we're having haggis, bacon, and souse, innumerable kinds of bread, washed down
with beer, and with chocolate for dessert. Sounds okay
so far, except I don't like beer--got any iced tea? (Yes, I
drink it in winter.)
We use the phrase slab of concrete here, too.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith