About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3066 09/08/00 10:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In fact, Martha's Vineyard, Mass., had an extraordinarily large deaf community several hundred years ago

How did this come to be, please?

#3067 09/08/00 01:11 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Martha's Vineyard deaf population...How did this come to be, please?

Extracted from http://marthasvineyard.com/html/penn/history.htm

"As a result, intermarriage among Chilmarkers brought out a genetic tendency for deafness. At one time more than one-quarter of Chilmark's residents were deaf and could not speak. Old time Vineyarders remember people signing in Chilmark rather than speaking, a difference, not a disability."

There are also records of hearing people on the island using sign language to communicate with other hearing people, even when no deaf were present.

You can also check out the book "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard" by Nora Ellen Groce. Harvard University Press.

#3068 09/13/00 09:24 AM
B
addict
addict
B
Also try 'Seeing Voices' by Oliver Sacks. This talks about the deaf and how they communicate more generally than just Martha's Vineyard, but is absolutely fascinating. (Mind you, I love Oliver Sacks because he starts from the premise of difference rather than disability.)
As for citing sign language, Brandon, keep it up!

#3069 01/16/01 08:52 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I'll dig this thread out of the mists of time in case anyone wants to look at it in relation to the "words which inflict excrucuating pain" thread. I would have just posted a link but everytime I go past the first page it transmogrifies into another thread. Maybe moving it up the pile will sort out the links. It does, of course digress, like all other threads!!!

#3070 01/16/01 01:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thank you for bringing this thread up, jmh.

Brandon, I have a question for you. Has anyone tried to use ASL to communicate with autistic people? My son is a high functioning autistic, but struggles so with verbal language processing that I have wondered whether he could better handle language by using his visual learning skills.

#3071 01/16/01 04:22 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In Hawaii there is an ASL presence and also Gaulladet College. Dearfness and hearing loss is rampant among Native Hawaiians so, through the help of Senator Inouye, Gallaudet has a school in Honolulu. You can start with the basics and go all the way to final certification as a teacher or interpreter of ASL. If you want to learn ASL might as well learn it in Hawaii!!!
wow

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
...I would have just posted a link but everytime I go past the first page it transmogrifies into another thread. Maybe moving it up the pile will sort out the links.

I don't think so, Jo. I find that all cross-thread links behave that way. They're OK when I view them in threaded mode, and the first page is OK in flat mode, but if I click another page number or Show All in flat mode, I go to a completely different thread as you found. This applies whether the link has been referred to with showflat.pl or showthreaded.pl in the url.

Can someone with a better understanding of HTML and browser behaviour provide an explanation and/or solution?

#3073 01/17/01 02:34 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Can someone with a better understanding of HTML and browser behaviour provide an explanation

Whatever you do, you're screwed........
she said in an effort to knit together two aspects of current thread.
wow

#3074 01/17/01 03:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Had a quick look at the HTML - it appears that all behaviour is determined by the server, which is what I would expect. It's a bug, but think of it as a feature ... Microsoft always does.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>I find that all cross-thread links behave that way. They're OK when I view them in threaded mode, and the first page is OK in flat mode, but if I click another page number or Show All in flat mode, I go to a completely different thread as you found. This applies whether the link has been referred to with showflat.pl or showthreaded.pl in the url.

It may be my computer. It seems to be fine on the threads that are on the first couple of pages in each section, after that, they all go loopy. If I bring a thread to the front it sorts itself out (for me, anyway). Are you saying that you still cannot view this thread without it tangling up?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith