Carpal Tunnel
Linda Belle
or
Stella Astor (aster)
or
Maryjane Grass

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Charlie Bell, recently of the Michigan State basketball team, has a mother whose name is ...

Belle Bell

F
addict
addict
F
This all reminds me of the pilots in the Airplane movies ("Roger, roger. What's our vector, Victor?"). I have often been advised to seek a career in university administration so I could one day be Provost Provost. Perhaps I would be lucky enough to work with a Dean Dean!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We have a park in Ithaca named after, I believe it is, Roy H. Park. Or either one of his close family members, one.

G
old hand
old hand
G
While slightly off the theme, I am reminded of a pair of doctors who used to practice together in Oregon City, Oregon, USA some while back. One was named Jack Chitty; the other was Cameron Bangs. Many were hoping that their children would join them in their practice, thus producing the Chitty-Chitty-Bangs Bangs Clinic.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
A colleague of mine knows a fellow historian named Katsenellenbogen. We have also located another historian named Osenfeffer. We are now seeking an historical partnership of husdand-and-wife , or father-and-son or a pair of brothers, named Gilly, so that we can publish a joint paper about the seaside leisure industry over the past century or two. It would. of course, be entitled, "By the Sea."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok--I am a bit slow-- how do you mix Gilly or 2 Gilly's with Katsenellenbogen and Osenfeffer. and come up with something related to sea side holiday resorts?

your references either require some knowledge of german, local UK resorts (I know Brighton!), or some esoteric tome that my mish mash of an education has missed--(or are so bloody obvious, that I am exposing my self as being dense!)-- can you make it simple for me?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Provost Provost, Dean Dean

Then there's Major Major Major Major.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry david-- you could never be a provost-- since its a well known fact that they never have anything but last names for their first name-- they are always a Williams or Johnson or Madox-- or have some other not to uncommon last name for the first name -- and they alway have three names-- so Harrison Ford misses out-- but Ford Harrison Ford has potential... (in fact a good deal of potential, since the xyx combo of names seems to be an indication of being provost material, and such named children are cultivated from an early age...)

F
addict
addict
F
...its a well known fact that they never have anything but last names for their first name

Perhaps I could sneak in if I went the equally popular "first initial, middle name" route: Provost D. Collins Provost sounds blue-blooded enough, I think.

PS After spending some time on Sparteye's great anti-E thread, simply spreading e's around without a second thought seems practically luxurious!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith