Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#29310 - 05/17/01 07:13 PM Re: trompel'oeil
tsuwm Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: this too shall pass
Lucy, here's another word that won't help you.
some of Escher's illusions are 'tessel[l]ations'.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/3828/tdevils.html

#29311 - 05/18/01 07:27 AM A more generic term
Faldage Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Optical illusion

#29312 - 05/18/01 11:22 AM Re: A more generic term
Bean Offline
old hand

I agree with Faldage. When I was little I would get "optical illusion" books from the library, to amuse myself. And they would have drawings in them as described, where you see two images at once. There are famous ones: the vase/faces one, and the young lady/old lady one. The Canadian flag is such an illusion too. If you look for an image in the white space you see two angry faces looking kind of downward - they say it's symbolic of the everlasting conflict between the French and the English - the two solitudes!

#29313 - 05/18/01 01:20 PM Re: A more generic term
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Canadian flag is such an illusion too. If you look for an image in the white space you see two angry faces looking kind of downward

that's boss, bean =)

i HTLIU, so if anyone else is interested, here's a link:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/ceremonial-symb/english/emb_flag_intro.html

#29314 - 05/18/01 01:42 PM Re: Name for a pictorial illusion
Sparteye Offline
Pooh-Bah

Since we're so shy around here about coining words, how about "illumages?"

#29315 - 05/19/01 12:10 PM tessellations
emanuela Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Italy - Perugia is a town with...
some of Escher's illusions are 'tessel[l]ations'.
Sorry, but the word tessellations does not refer to the optical illusion, but to the geometric fact of covering a surface - usually the plane - by that thing we call tassello. My dictionary gives dowell, plug, inlay - I have no idea which one is the correct translation .

#29316 - 05/19/01 03:35 PM Re: A more generic term
Max Quordlepleen Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Canadian flag is such an illusion too. If you look for an image in the white space you see two angry faces looking kind of downward

Must one smoke some maple leaf before one can see this? This sounds like those verdammte "Magic Eye" things that I could never see the hidden picture in!

#29317 - 05/19/01 03:54 PM Re: trompe
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
So does this date back to Rome? We see all those fancy painted walls in Pompeii.

No, I don't think that the Roman painters intended to deceive anyone. The paintings weren't "realistic" or "photographic" enough. I think that they're just another example of the famous Roman lack of originality in anything except military and governmental innovations (and even those were more evolution than revolution). The artists painted what they "saw". They borrowed most of their artistic devices from the Greeks (along with literary styles and a fair chunk of the language).

Even then, it could be argued that Greek sculpture showed more flair than the Roman. Roman sculpture tended to be painfully life-like and stiff; I don't know about you, but Greek sculpture to me always seems to flow by comparison! And I also remember reading, yonks ago, that most of the "Roman" sculptors were actually Greek artisans and/or slaves. How true this is I couldn't say.

Although the Romans whupped the Greeks and took over their country, you can't help feeling that the Greeks were laughing at the Romans behind their backs ...

#29318 - 05/19/01 04:04 PM Re: tessellations
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
"Tessellation" is mosaic work. The Romans were famous for it - look at all those villa floors. And the only use I can remember of the word in the context of "modern" art does refer to "mosaic" work, eg pointillism. I remember reading that "Seurat 'tessellated' the canvas". I also seem to recall reading that some forms of fabric art carried out by sewing small pieces of material onto a base piece to form a picture - a fabric mosaic, if you will - was referred to as tessellation. But YCLIU.

#29319 - 05/19/01 04:46 PM Re: tessellations
tsuwm Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: this too shall pass
>>some of Escher's illusions are 'tessel[l]ations'.
>Sorry, but the word tessellations does not refer to the optical illusion, but to the geometric fact of covering a surface...

and I was referring to the fact that these works of Escher are commonly referred to as tessellations -- he used this technique to create these particular illusions. [see the link] - as I said, this is of no help in the word search, merely a punctilio of interest.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8748 Members
16 Forums
13809 Topics
215563 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
grannygoose, BondNickles, bobwar, Johnreed28, Lakshman
8748 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 96
endymion6 92
wofahulicodoc 88
A C Bowden 54
Tromboniator 11
tuhin 2
Jorg 1
chicablanca 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10523
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
LukeJavan8 6608
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith