Next Thread
Print Thread
#28551 05/05/01 09:30 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Years ago, I read about something called The Great Vowel Shift. IIRC, it took place in the late 1800s and affected the entire English-speaking world. In the matter of a few short years, the conventional pronunciation of all the vowels rotated, kind of like getting a fresh cup at the Mad Hatter's teaparty. There are a few words that retain their earlier vowel sounds, but those are now seen as exceptions to pronunciation rules. "Women" (wimmen) is one such hold-over, I think.

Other than that one article on the topic, I have never seen anything to corroborate the story. Could anyone point me to a scholarly but not dry discussion of the topic?

Along the same lines, could all of the contractions and lazy pronunciations discussed in the "Him vs. 'eem" thread be the early suggestions of another such shift?

What about the apparently interchangeability of word pronunciations like "krik/kreek" for "creek?" As it spills out of my own mouth, I can detect no pattern in when I use one or the other in reference to a small stream, but always the long e in reference to the sound of a rusty hinge.

Lance ==)----------------
-=[ Puns are their own reword. ]=-

#28552 05/06/01 03:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...scholarly but not dry discussion of the topic?

This I've got to see...

Right after *the civil war there was a very large northernly shift that may explain... (I'll shut up now)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith