Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pineapple-scented laundry water

really, hylacolada, between this and your strange bathroom cleaning habits.....

for some reason when i read faldage's 'pine-scented' comment, it took me a minute to realize that pini is likely the spanish word for pine (i'm assuming this, though, only because of the Pini de Roma->Respighi->Italian->romance/Latin->Spanish connection).

so that leads me to the totally nonthreadical question of why on earth we call the fruit a pineapple (and evidently italians and or/spanish speakers do as well) instead of a palmapple. or a palmcone, for that matter.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

B
veteran
veteran
B
palmapple?
I was not aware that the plant on which pineapples grow was a palm. So far as I know, coconuts and dates grow on palm trees, not pineapples.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"I was not aware that the plant on which pineapples grow was a palm"

My encyclopedia surprised me by saying pineapples are one of the bromeliads, which include Spanish Moss!

#28073 05/03/01 03:20 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Lance -- Oh, be quiet and listen to all of the helpful suggestions offered to you. I like your "name"

Scribbler

F
addict
addict
F
In the tradition of Helen's "Name Your Sex" thread, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of salaciousness here. That said, around our house laundry is either "clean" or "dirty". *That* said, considering the frequency (or lack thereof) that the laundry gets done with, my wife and I are often forced to resort to wearing items that have been worn and not yet rewashed. This is all to say that a common exchange between us is, "Where are my jeans?"
"They're dirty." (meaning in the clothes hamper or on the floor somewhere)
"I know, but they're not *dirty*, are they?"
I'd like to propose the categories "clean", "wearable", and "stanky".

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Since this thread seems to be slowing down, perhaps I may be forgiven for a small sociological comment. I wonder how many Americans realize how powerful the effect of being deprived of free use of soap and water while in military service overseas was on our passion for clean clothes and frequent showers when we got home.

E
stranger
stranger
E
> something like "?lavandum?" meaning "to be washed" it might be what you want.

(After seeing the staid and refined repartee hereabouts, I quickly re-registered with a less conventional handle.)

"Lavandum" does seem to be an appropriate word, and it rolls off the tongue nicely, but it just doesn't sound adjectival to my parochial ears.

Lance ==)-------------
P.S. I think I'm going to like it here. L-

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like to propose the categories "clean", "wearable", and "stanky".

Well, here, and I believe in Britain, we would say skanky.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
addict
addict
R
categories "clean", "wearable", and "stanky".

I am reminded of the old criteria we used to use to categorise the clothes. If they didn't climb into the laundry basket of their own accord they were wearable. Further into the cycle, if one wanted to reuse an item that had inadvertently been misfiled in the laundry basket, you threw it at the wall. If it stuck to the wall, you tried another item. Trousers that stood up by themselves were probably past their best, but very convenient.

Rod

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith