Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
> If the janitors at Harvard are fairly paid, then Princeton will have a harder time saying they shouldn't have to pay theirs fairly, and if the janitors at all universities end up fairly paid, then other institutions, academic or commercial, will have a harder time saying theirs shouldn't be...

Who decides what is fair? I'm sure the union, the employer, and the customer all have different ideas of what a fair wage is.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The fact is, I guess, that everyone says they value higher education, but most taxpayers are unwilling to fork out a higher percentage in taxes to support it. That's certainly the case here.

Rhub's comments on the British system are well-taken; British unions have always had more power than in other places.

However, academicians do not make good unionists; it's like trying to herd cats. I was the secretary of a branch of ASTE, the polytechnic lecturers' union, for a couple of years last century, and it was like trying to herd cats. I constantly found myself saying things like "Yes, I know the poly's state funding is reducing by 1% per year, but should you really let that influence YOUR standard of living?" or "Poly funding is one issue, income from other sources, including direct payments by students, are another. The poly's hurting, but not as much as us working for about 60% of what we could get in the commercial sector." or "So you have no problem about management steam-rollering us into accepting redundancies when we know perfectly well that the quality of the teaching will suffer?"

Yeah, it's a real bundle of laughs!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#27754 05/03/01 01:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"So you have no problem about management steam-rollering us into accepting redundancies when we know perfectly well that the quality of the teaching will suffer?"

Reminds me of that saying that I can only remember part of:
along the lines of 'Everybody thought Somebody would take care of it, so Nobody did it'.

#27755 05/03/01 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cross-forum note:

A discussion similar to this has resumed over yonder at AWAD in Schools.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith