Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2638 05/20/00 07:23 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Hmmmm...... This all seems quite serious for what is meant to be a high-brow fun web-site. I may be a new boy to this list (and I missed out on the reason for this bickering) but everything seems to have blown out of all proportion.

A few comments - nay, let's say observations.

Firstly, we all seem to have an interest in words or subjects in which the more obscure and interesting words crop up. In this case it is politics and, as boring and time-wasting as it may appear, politics plays a huge part in everybody's life from Foriegn policy through environmental issues right down to local waste disposal. It may not be your favourite topic of discussion but it is a necessary evil to take stock of the way that your lives are being propelled by others especially of those that you think are making a mess of it all.

But back to words. I use computers everyday - it's part of my plan for paying the rent at the end of each month. My university degree also tells me that I am damn good at it (if only my boss shared the same view!). Still, I am human and I do make mistakes at the keyboard. Now, I don't want to go down that road of 'we're all individuals' but some people are new to this computer lark and are prone to making more typos than most - when I write a long email to a friend (sometimes running into thousands of words) you can be sure that it will be peppered with errors and this is not uncommon amongst all my correspondents from whom I receive mail - and there are many. I also type fast and mail messages immediately without spell-checking which I can presume is becoming the norm amongst emailers (and noticeboard posters) so I often misuse a word or my sentence is quite confusing in its structure.

But not one person has ever criticised my style or my typos or my many errors in my many years online, and vice-versa. And I wouldn't expect it from educated, well-meaning and understanding individuals. Nobody likes to be criticised - even for the smallest mistake because it can cause resentment and lasting damage and ill-will (as has sadly happened here). Some people will expect an individual to take criticism and see it as a form of 'character-building' but I say no. Express an opinion on somebody's subject but leave out the 'petty' things. I go with the Rules of engagement (as stated in the first posting) most whole-heartedly.

So far as the confrontation goes I can't comment on the source of the problem. Come on guys - this noticeboard is about words, not confrontations. I've read all your postings and I would find this list a poor place without your valuable contributions (and good humour), but settle your differences - without the interference of others on the noticeboard - and start over. If it takes an apology then so be it. It doesn't take a lot to say you're sorry!

#2639 05/20/00 08:46 PM
J
J
First of all. I agree with those rules, only I would name them suggestions, and think I that they express the way that almost everybody here behaves. But speaking about ‘The lord of the flies’ I must be like one of the littluns because I haven’t noticed any angry discussion here. Sadly enough I can’t find time to keep on all threads and I must have missed something.
I’m sure that my postings have plenty of mistakes and, though I wouldn’t mind a private email correcting them, I’m very grateful not to be publicly pregnant, sorry, embarrassed by them.

Juan Maria.

#2640 05/21/00 03:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Philip,
I must respond to your post of Sat. May 20th at 11:56.
I have read a number of your posts where you said how much
you enjoy the differences among people, so I knew you did
celebrate them. The very reason I was vague has backfired on me--I was vague deliberately, specifically to AVOID
seeming to think that any one person is more different
than others. That is what my post apparently sounded like, and I am truly sorry to have caused insult--none was intended.
You have my heart's promise on that.
Jackie

#2641 05/23/00 08:08 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I'm sorry that this has been so unpleasant. I'm also sorry to bring it to the top again. I assume we've all said our "piece".

I'll go along with Juanmaria's "Suggestions" not "rules". Looking at other posts, it looks like we've had an opportunity to look at how we were behaving and we've made some changes. I think some valuable points were made, I'll stick to speaking for myself.

Upwards (not Downwards, Jackie!!) and Onwards.

#2642 05/24/00 03:12 PM
J
J
I’ve spent more time that I should reading the conflicting threads and, although a little sorry by the things read, before closing this subject I think you deserve our gratefulness for the work done.

Juan Maria.

#2643 05/24/00 06:27 PM
D
D
>>I think you deserve our gratefulness for the work done<<

Well said, juanmaria!

And I'll add my voice to that sentiment.

#2644 05/24/00 11:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now that some time has passed (and this thread has floated back to the top), I have just one thing to say: I am very sorry for the part I played in this churlish display and the upset it has caused those of you who were inadvertently subjected to it.

#2645 05/25/00 12:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and to those of you who enjoyed it, :-þ

::slap:: [you couldn't just leave it, could you?!]

#2646 05/25/00 06:33 AM
Well said, tsuwm. I'm sure we all appreciate how you must have felt during that particular exchange. As I have always (well, often, anyway) said: "Least said, tsuwm-est mended." And I am sure it must now be mended and that is surely the end of it. BTW, is there any particular reason why the spelling checker should suggest "tub" for both "tsuwm" and "tsuwm-est" above? Boy, am I enjoying trawling through this spellchecker! I don't even dare look at this last version!

#2647 05/25/00 06:39 AM
And oh yes, he said, replying to his own post, why was BTW renedered as "bubble" by this anarchic spell checker? Is this some esoteric Seinfeld reference?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith