Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26271 04/08/01 05:19 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The second in the Love of Words/Love of .... series. (I think 50 posts per thread is long enough)

I didn't get a chance to post to the original ...of Music, so let me say that I truly do love all music, and B96 spoke of the only artist I would have pointed out (aside from the limited works of Jaco Pastorius, the extensive works of Charles Ives, and any music that makes me want to dance!)

However, I have no interest in exposing myself for long periods of time to music that, used as a vehicle, reflects violence. I just don't want to listen! It has nothing to do with the individuals right to speak or use any words they want no matter how hateful, abusive or ugly they are (I will argue along side them to protect those rights as long as it remains within the context of that arguement, which rarely happens). I control my exposure, as anyone should do (and does naturally) when "it "reaches the "threshold of pain". When I have no choice of escape, it is then time to consider "alternatives" (I wouldn't know where to begin).

Enough ranting... what I thought I would name this thread was Love of Words/Love of Screen but I think we should limit this to Film and save TV for part three... However, fair warning, I am a "Movie Moron". People around me talk all the time about the movies they go see and the people who are in them (as if this matters... casting shmasting [duckingfromskeet])... but my request is not about the people, it is about the different genre. What kind of movies do you like, why and what part, if any, does language play in your tastes. (It would be foolish and against all "principals" to start movie reviews here ).

I like comedies! Silent movies especially, and clearly not because the only sound is an out of tune "parlor" piano, but the genius of Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and (my favorite) Charlie Chaplin to use just film and no sound or "linguistic jesting" (the piano just doesn't help) aside from the "text box flashes" to keep you "up to date"!

Second would be mysteries (a kind of visual logic problem), but I don't hear about many being made these days.

...annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they're off!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
What kind of movies do you like, why and what part, if any, does language play in your tastes.

I guess that all my favourite movies have been visual spectacles, the most impressive being the 70mm restored cut of Lean's Lawrence of Arabia. That movie was awesome, the one and only 70 mm movie I have seen. Then there was Vincent Ward's Navigator, another visually impressive work. The most recent addition to my list of all-time favourites does raise intersting questions about language. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fascinated me because of the way the subtitles were mentally replaced with voices. I loved that movie, but when I reflect back on it, I hear the English dialogue, I don't see it. The way that my mind has substituted voices for the written subtitles intrgues and fascinates me, especially because I would love to know whose voices I used!

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fascinated me because of the way the subtitles were mentally
replaced with voices. I loved that movie, but when I reflect back on it, I hear the English dialogue, I
don't see it.

Your observation is interesting to read Max.
I saw a version of the movie - dubbed in English. I would have loved to see a subtitled version (as well) just to know whether dubbing is more effective or subtitles. The dubbing was not such a hindrance except the dialogues sounded rushed - to fit the English sentence in time of the original.

I think subtitles would have been more effective because it leaves the voice to imagination - and as you did, you imagine whichever tone/voice you want.

However could you tell me how much the subtitles removed your attention from the visuals. Important in this case because the film was all about visuals.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fascinated me because of the way the subtitles were mentally replaced with voices.

It's funny, that now you mention it, I called up what I remembered about the movie and I can hardly remember reading the subtitles. I too, hear the voices in english. I think it says something about it's quality that that happened.

I enjoy a lot of movies, but those that I *must* have around when ever I want to watch them are few and far between. (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is going to be one of those I buy)

I'm rather fond of fantasy and science fiction, but I've yet to come across a movie in that area that has completely impressed me. I like Jim Henson productions when he steps away from his muppets (though I do find them fun) and gets into myth, and working especially with Brian Froud. Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are both excellent for that partnership. Movies that go for drama in their settings draw my attention. Even the fairly recent Bram Stoker's Dracula has merit, because the setting and costumes had a rather gothic, fantastic feel to it. Not perfect, but enough to get me to watch.

Ironically, perhaps, I don't like dramas or romances. Too much like wallowing in misery or hysterical emotion for me in most cases.

I prefer movies of wit more than comedy, if that makes sense. An Ideal Husband and Much Ado About Nothing, for examples.

Lastly, I can't stand any movie where a woman who begins as being quite capable is reduced to a fainting maiden for convenience. The movie had best be spectacular in other ways to keep me.

There is, of course, the occasional exception to every generalization here.

Ali

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
However could you tell me how much the subtitles removed your attention from the visuals. Important in this case because the film was all about visuals.

Not a bit. My wife and I both remarked on how much easier it was to watch a foreign-language film subtitled rather than dubbed. I tend to get fixated on watching the mismatched lip movements in dubbed films, but after a minute or so, I ceased even being aware of reading the subtitiles, they just seemed to fit. The only exception to that was one I remarked on once before - that the actors said "Beijing" (the only identifiable word for me), while the subtitles displayed "Peking." A curiosity more than a major distraction.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a sci-fi fan - but the effects are what I'm after, not the plots. That way I'm rarely disappointed these days. Hell, I even enjoyed "Space Cowboys", if only to watch all those old-ish geezers walking through the plot. Therefore, the Star Wars movies, 2001, and a few since like The Matrix attracted me.

For other types of movies - Shakespeare in Love had me rolling in the aisles, as did Intermezzo. And damned-all else!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I loved that movie, but when I reflect back on it, I hear the English dialogue, I don't see it. The way that my mind has substituted voices for the written subtitles intrgues and fascinates me, especially because I would love to know whose voices I used!

I find this an interesting remark, and one reflecting an experience unlike my own. Having seen the subtitled release, do even those who can spell her name substitute Jacqueline Deneuve's voice with one of their own invention?

It seems plain that an occidental viewer might substitute imagined voices because of the unassimilated intonations of the dialect (A former stranger here has forbidden me to use "Chinese" to refer to the spoken languages of China). I wonder if the experience of those who do for "Tiger" is unique to that movie, or if is similar to their experience with some of the films exported from the People's Republic over the past ten years or so. How about Bruce Lee films?

No PC concern, here. I ask, because I wonder if Tiger in a special class that lends itself to this kind of experience. I sent my mother, who is legally blind, to see the film because the story can be followed without understanding a word of the script. She loved it, and wants to see it again.

My goddaughter, a grad student in anthropology/archeology tells me the movie is another telling of a story that's been told and retold in various forms for at least 3,000 years.

So I wonder, apart from its brilliant execution in "Tiger," is it because the story is so profoundly archetypal that a blind woman can follow it and an occidental viewer can substitute voices, intonations, dialogue of their own, or is it for some other reason? Or, perhaps, these aren't unique qualities, at all.

B
veteran
veteran
B
While I have lots of favorites, most of my top picks, and the ones I will watch any chance I get, have to do with language, usually in the form of the dialogue. My top #1 favorite is the Zefirelli production of Romeo and Juliet, followed by Casablanca, How Green Was My Valley, Citizen Kane, A Night at the Opera, The Marx Brothers at the Circus, Room Service, and any of Peter Sellers' Clouseau films, especially the one with the dialogue beginning, "Does your dog bite?" which I find uproariously funny although I've seen it 100 times (I have my own copy).

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
, especially the one with the dialogue beginning, "Does your dog bite?" which I find uproariously funny although I've seen it 100 times (I have my own copy).

He's not my dog! A true gem, lucky you for owning it.

B
B
Haven't been to a movie theater in about 12years, so movie are rentals or through cable for me.

I like comedy, action, old horror, sci-fi & mystery. I think that connection comes from TV as a kid on weekend afternoons of Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes and the karate or monster flicks that followed.

Romance is ok once in while, they're just too emotional for me. One a the few movies I own is "Moonstuck" with Cher & Nicholas Cage.

I can't say I'm a fan of any specific 'star' either, although I will go out of my way to watch any Astaire movie.

CJ

CJ
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Movies? Leaving the house? Without the kids? Yeah, right.

I tend to collect videos. Most recently, I've been trying to buy every film Agnes Morehead was ever in. She was a wonderful actress, and was in many great movies.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For movie buffs interested in older films, I have a few recos:

Clifton Webb in "Sitting Pretty" from the 1950s is a bit dated but still funny!
Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle"
Bette Davis in "The Letter"
Gregory Peck in "Gentlemen's Agreement"
For newer movies:
Ned Beatty in "Hear My Song" (This is a must for anyone of Irish heritage)
Of course John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in "The Quiet Man"
The full length one, not the chopped up one you see on TV.
Others Include :
The funniest Western ever made, enjoyable even by those who are not Western fans, "The Hallelujah Trail." Burt Lancaster caught by a Lady while he's in an Army field bathtub is worth the price of admission,
John Wayne in that movie I can never remember the title of until I see it which is sited in Africa and has Red Buttons in an hilarious supporting role.
"Ned Devine" and "Saving Grace" I've mentioned ad nauseum.
Comedy is my meat these days ... did you guess?
I have had it with "serious" movies except for "Private Ryan," perhaps. But did enjoy "Forrest Gump" which had some wildly funny moments.
As one movie magnet once said : "If you want to send a message, call Western Union!"
Life's is serious enough... when I go out to a movie I want to be entertained and as I grow older that means LAUGHS!
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a little-known gem I heartily recommend! "Beautiful Dreamer," 1992, with Rip Torn magnificient as Walt Whitman and his influence on the work of English psychologist Dr. Bucke. Don't miss it!

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I like:
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world
All Leslie Neilson movies
All Steve Martin movies

As you can see I'm not too big on movies.
Also I missed out on the music one so here goes:
The Beatles
Frank Sinatra
Mozart
Gershwin

-Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith