About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#26080 04/09/01 03:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Th "pissed/pissed off" usage is the same in Zild as in Canada, it eems. "Pissed" is drunk, "pissed off" is angry. The influence of US TV means that, given context, "pissed would likely be understood correctly if used with the US meaning.

Well, yes and no, Max. I've heard people here say "He's pissed" meaning annoyed. A kind of verbal shorthand, I think. You guess the meaning from context.

Similarly, if you say you knocked someone up at 3 a.m., no one here will doubt that you banged on their door or something similar. Or they will assume you are a stopwatch fetishist, I guess. If you were to say you knocked Jill up without the time referent, it would be assumed the lady in question was now in the family way. Again, it's largely context.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#26081 04/09/01 08:01 AM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
French Letters=condom in UK (==> Johnnies from "Johnny Frenchman"??? and why "Johnny frenchman?))
Capotes Anglaises = English Caps= condom in French. (and Bill, please post your joke about "capotes")

A couple more now we have traveled this far down the slippery slope.
Shag = copulate, copulation in UK and a dance in US. Presumably though since "The spy who shagged me" (freudian slip - I originally typed "spay" but that's in another recent thread) it has the same meaning in US. "Shaggin' on the boulevard" caused a little ripple of amusement this side of the pond.
One the delights of the Saturday UK Times is the political cartoon by Peter Brookes in the form of Nature Notes. They are usually topical to UK and show people (usually politicians) in the guise of various animals with notes. But a year or so ago they had Clinton as a Shag, which is an alternative name for a cormorant, complete with "kink in his pecker"

Fanny = butt (US), female genitalia (UK).

Rod

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Fix has the meaning of repair and also the meaning of solidifying in its present state. The photgraphic development process consists of three phases: the developing, in which the light exposed chemicals on the film are converted to a form that is visible to the eye; the stop bath, in which the chemical process in phase one is brought to an end; and the fixing, in which the new chemical state is made permanent.

Additionally, in (mostly) southern American English, fixin' to do something means preparing to do it, whether physically, by collecting the tools and preparing the workspace or, more commonly, mentally as in "I'm fixin' to get the lawn mowed rat now Honeybunch, jus as quick as I get done watching this here tractor pull on the TV."

And, Jackie, you sayin I kin git eggs an brains fer breakfast ther in Loouhv'lle?

#26083 04/09/01 01:08 PM
B
addict
addict
B
"Shaggin' on the boulevard" caused a little ripple of amusement this side of the pond.

I think it's time we introduced 'suspender' into this downward slide. Particularly the classic Alex cartoon (UK newspapers - not sure who has this yuppy now?) where wimpy yuppy Clive plaintively asks his American girlfriend if she would do something to brighten up their sex life 'like wear suspenders or something'. The final picture shows him in total confusion and disappointment when she turns up in what all good British yuppies know as braces.

(PS Rapunzel was right. La vice anglaise. I just never think of the euphemism 'the English vice' in English. Thank you!)

#26084 04/09/01 01:32 PM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
In the mining villages (and presumably with other industries) they used to have long before alarm radios a job of "Knocker-upper" (nice work if you can get it!) who went round the village with a list of those on the early shift and a long pole which was knocked on windows. (oh - I don't want the job now thanks).
Rod

#26085 04/09/01 01:34 PM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
and of course I perplexed my US hostess when I asked if I could help lay the table.

Following on from wash up, there are differences on the room where one (or even more) excretes. The US usage of bathroom for this is only following a long tradition; lavatory, toilet, any others? But when asking for a "bathroom" in UK you would be shown a room that had a bath in it but not necessarily a toilet/lavatory.

Rod

#26086 04/09/01 01:57 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I perplexed my US hostess when I asked if I could help lay the table

There would be no confusion at my house. And your offer would be accepted with pleasure.
Perhaps it's because NEW England was settled by the English and some phrases are still used. Although -- Hmmm -- in many homes they say "set the table" but your offer would be generally understood in New England.
Could it be I am getting old and the phrase is dropping from general use?
wow

#26087 04/09/01 03:07 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Knowing how much you like knockers, Rod, here’s another couple for you to (go)ogle

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=5243

Apart from being another fine example of our highly focussed discussions, it was significant for marking the entrance of the delightful BelM to this forum

#26088 04/09/01 04:49 PM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Durex (Aus) = Sellotape (UK) = Scotch Tape (US)
While I don't have any Australians easily to hand, I will ask my son who is due back from a contract (not that kind) in Melbourne this weekend. Googling seems to perpetuate the myth if it is one, and you may be amused by http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/other.html which also mentions 4X (Aus) = beer (and in UK now) = condom in US. True? If so does the name refer to the magnification factor as in binoculars, Surely not the number of times.. no I won't ask.
Rod

#26089 04/09/01 05:43 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
English/French pairs
There's the french pox (venereal disease we now call it). I believe there is a corresponding French term which calls it the English pox.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith