Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#26060 - 04/06/01 12:23 PM Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
rodward Offline
addict

Loc: Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Usage/Ukage/Ausage is an attempt to share information on differences between all the different versions of English (Sorry CK, I couldn't quite see how to fit Zild or others into the pattern). This board throws up examples all the time of words in local use, but I was wondering about words and phrases which have opposite meanings, or meanings so different as to cause embarrassment (and therefore amusing to the onlooker ). I know of a few, but would like to hear of more. My understanding of the below may be incorrect so please correct me if I am wrong. I am also interested to know which side of the divide any bystanders may fall.

moot point:
US: A point not worth discussing
UK: An important and undecided point

table a motion:
US: to put an agenda item aside for (much) later discussion (in UK this would be to "shelve a motion".
UK: to bring the agenda item before the committee.

Durex:
UK: As Hover=Vacuum cleaner so Durex=condom
Aus: Durex = Sellotape (Uk) = Scotchtape (US)
(visions of Australians asking for a reel of Durex in UK, or pomms in Sydney having to "roll their own" )

Rubber:
UK: An eraser
US: Condom

My wife's elderly aunt claims she was in a stationers in US and called out across the shop to her daughter already at the till "Wait, I've just found the pencils I was looking for, with the rubbers on the end in the shape of Mickey Mouse and Pluto"

Others? Corrections?

Rod

#26061 - 04/06/01 01:11 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
of troy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: rego park
RE: with the rubbers on the end in the shape of Mickey Mouse and Pluto"

I heard in the past, that an alternate word for condoms in the UK was a "french cap"-- and the french called condoms --(no attempt here to put it into french) "english letters"

So what do the french call "french tickers" --( Not mickymouse rubbers I suspect)

On a more serious note--
"Its Greek to me" (for something total incomprehendable) becomes "Its Hewbrew to me" in (french i think) but in what is incomprehendable changes for language to language .... its Chinese... ( can we do a series?)

#26062 - 04/06/01 02:04 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
Faldage Offline
Carpal Tunnel

To fix a flat:

US To repair a flat t(i,y)re
UK ? To rent an apartment ?

To knock someone up:

US To get someone pregnant
UK ? To visit someone ? To come by and pick someone up ?

Not sure of the UKages but I'm sure we can get a clarification.

#26063 - 04/06/01 02:16 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
Bobyoungbalt Offline
veteran

fix a flat
Faldage, I don't believe you would speak in the UK of "fixing" a flat of any kind. I believe it's only we USers who use "fix" to mean "repair". Verification/correction anyone?

#26064 - 04/06/01 02:23 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
Sorry CK, I couldn't quite see how to fit Zild or others into the pattern).

Zildages.

The interesting thing (from my perspective, anyway) is that ALL of the meanings attributed to the words above hold good here.

In NZ, rubber = eraser = condom, etc., depending on context.

Tabling a motion or an agenda item, however, only means putting it before the meeting. This is probably because you wouldn't be able to sort out what it meant from the context.

I have NEVER heard sellotape called Durex in Australia. I do stand to be corrected by our Ozzish neighbours, however.

#26065 - 04/06/01 02:42 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
Max Quordlepleen Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I believe it's only we USers who use "fix" to mean "repair".

Zild uses "fix" for "repair" all the time. We would rent a flat, or an apartment, and if it needed maintenance work, we would fix it. Using "flat" for a rented residence gives the wonderfully useful verbal construction "flatting", which would be much more awkward if translated to "apartmenting". Unlike CK I have heard people outside of Lewisveal talk of fixing breakfast, which I must do now.

#26066 - 04/06/01 03:17 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
maverick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

fix... repair

Yes, I would be with you again Max - I would find it pretty natural to talk about "fixing a leak" or "fixing a tool" meaning mending it. But maybe this is a USnism that's crept into my lex - what about other Brits?

#26067 - 04/06/01 05:21 PM Zildage?
musick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Chicago
Rubber:
UK: An eraser
US: Condom

...ahem... far, oh so very far, be it for me to be prudish, but... "rubbers" are equvalent to "galoshes" (I might be the only one (my age (whatever that is)) left on this side of the pond to wear them)

I want my word back!!!

#26068 - 04/06/01 08:36 PM Re: Zildage?
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dear musick: to me rubbers are only high enough to protect shoes, and galoshes go over shoes and come up ten inches or better and so have to be loose enough that four or more buckles are needed to close them. Back in the twenties girls who wore them unbuckled were called "flappers". Hardly anybody wears either these days. When weather was really wet, and slush or mud was a problem, I much preferred L.L. Bean's Maine hunting boots, with rubber bottoms and leather tops.

#26069 - 04/06/01 09:26 PM Re: Usage vs Ukage vs Ausage
inselpeter Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New York City
"Wait, I've just found the pencils I was looking for, with the rubbers on the end in the shape of Mickey Mouse and Pluto"

to take the mickey out of him

UK: To put someone down (?)
US:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8687 Members
16 Forums
13783 Topics
213050 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
sa'a, csmoore, Jane Luckner, anjela, MR LOGOPHILE
8687 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
wofahulicodoc 79
LukeJavan8 63
endymion6 60
jenny jenny 51
Tromboniator 12
Faldage 5
Mercur10 1
Jane Luckner 1
MR LOGOPHILE 1
csmoore 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith