About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#26012 04/10/01 02:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and its the season for my favorite marshmallows-- peeps-- little marshmallow birds covered in yellow sugar (think of it, a sugar foam candy, covered with cyrstal sugar! sugar on the outside and on the inside!)

I can usually pass on most marshmallows-- but peeps-- i could inhale! My kids used to wonder why they never got them in there easter baskets-- i could pass on chocolate (yes, i know i sound less than human when i say that) but no matter how many peeps i bought-- i manage to eat them all before the holiday-- and then bought all the left over ones at 50%, and devoured them!

#26013 04/10/01 03:06 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh yes! Peeps ... those little yellow, marshmallow, baby chick shaped, mouthsfull of sugar overload yummyness!

Race you, Helen!
wow

#26014 04/10/01 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: and its mucilaginous qualities make it useful in treating internal inflammations and healing mucous membranes.

In the post above this (the one above the quoted one!--flat mode) i suggested that Marshmallow plants formed a sort of gelatin... and Fiberbabe uses the word based on mucilage--which is a gelatinous substance from plants-- (which some how differes from pectin, an other jelly like plant substance... )

Do these words reflect a basic chemical difference or some difference in texture that i am not aware of?

are marshmallows "Gummy" like okra? or is there a whole world of words for the vicousness in food-- (point here is not the food, but the words to describe it.)

and are there other words?
Gelatin
mucilage
pectin
????

is gelatin animal based? and what about the gelatin from "birds nest soup"-- the gelatin that lines the nest of certain sea swallows, is this a gelatin

#26015 04/10/01 08:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"is gelatin animal based?" Yes, it is made by boiling skin, bones, horn, hooves. My father would not have Jello on the table, as he had heard of its being made from horse and cow hooves.

mucilage,pectin, and carrageenan are all plant products.

#26016 04/10/01 10:07 PM
H
addict
addict
H
As to peeps, those odd little confections - I have heard of a rather unorthodox activity carried out with the little beasts - peep jousting.

Apparently, peeps swell hugely and wildly when subject to microwave radiation. So, some stalwart soul selected a brace of peeps, armed them with toothpicks (by poking them into the peeps), placed them facing each other, but at a respectful distance, inside a microwave oven, and fired it up. The peeps are said to bob and weave as they swell up, giving the appearance of doing combat with each other.

The Peeps corporate representatives, when asked about such behavior, had little to say on the matter, but did suggest that if it contributed to the sales of peeps, they were all for it. I think they recognize that, aside from the lovely Ms. of troy and a handful of other folks deficient in the evolutionary traits which allow an appreciation (nay, a madness) for chocolate, nobody really eats peeps - they're just for decoration in an easter basket.

And with that, my 200th post, I move from member (which makes me feel like I belong here, and have achieved some sort of recognized status) to enthusiast (which seems somehow a demotion).

#26017 04/10/01 10:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"decoration in an easter basket."

Easter Baskets can be fun for the kids, but do any of you remember when kids "hung" May Baskets as a surprise for their mothers? I haven't heard of it for a long time.

#26018 04/11/01 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think they recognize that, aside from the lovely Ms. of troy and a handful of other folks deficient in the evolutionary traits which allow an appreciation (nay, a madness) for chocolate

i believe what Hyla meant to say was that only a select handful of us have evolved beyond the primal craving for chocolate.

nobody really eats peeps - they're just for decoration in an easter basket.

i beg to differ ~ peeps rock. yum, yum. the wonderful thing about peeps, too, is that even though they get all hard when they're stale, if you wait long enough they get mooshy again. ditto for lucky charms.

in case anyone feels the urge to know the preferred method for enjoying a peep, i found this gem:

Q: What's the correct way to eat a Peep? My husband insists it's bite the head off, then the butt, then stuff the middle in your mouth.

A: There's not really a correct way, but there is a preferred way. According 1998 surveys by MSI International and International Communications Research (ICR), 60 percent of consumers eat Peeps head first. And if that's not grizzly enough, 40 percent stretch the neck out before the fatal chomp. No statistics on butt and belly biting, but 10 percent admit, actually admit, they stuff more than one whole Peep in their mouth at once.

#26019 04/12/01 11:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh yes-- first you must de capitate them! (after all, as R crumb said--" The head is the best!") and then the rest. No particular order for the body- it really depends on whether or not it's an end peep or a middle! --

I'll take your word on the stale one B96-- mine never stay around long enough to get stale!

(mean while, AnnaS, i have been doing real word stuff over in the Q & A section.... and not just food fun!)

#26020 04/12/01 12:02 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I currently have a silly little Peeps screen-saver dancing around on my computer-- if any of my fellow Peeps enthusiasts want to check it out, they can go here:
http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com

The site also includes a look at how Peeps are made, among other strange and wonderful things.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith