Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#25896 04/04/01 09:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
FWIW, despite many interesting posts these past few weeks, the tone has degenerated. When this board returns to being less about "tatas"-cum-who can emit the most gratuitous posts in the shortest period of time and more about words-cum-language as it was in the beginning, I'll be pleased.

For now, I'm adopting tsuwm's postaday™ m.o.

There. Somebody had to say it in public.
I await private congratulations and public condemnation.

#25897 04/04/01 10:11 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I await private congratulations and public condemnation.

Will you accept public congratulations instead? I think that occasional reminders of why this Board is are very useful. I tend to post in spurts, and I have often gone a day without posting at all. All the same, many of those threads did start off as discussions about words, and I think that we must expect meanderings to happen. Perhaps a gentle nudge within the thread would help. For example the thread on "bodacious tatas" could have developed into a discussion of the origin and significance of "bodacious" rather than a discussion of mammary glands. I think reminders of the sort you posted are useful, as long as they do not stifle the anarchic spirit which has contributed much to the success of this Board. An occasional tap on the shoulder is much to be preferred over a moderated forum.

#25898 04/04/01 10:37 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Anna and Max: I think that if there were more posts about words, word origins, and unusual phrases, the number of wisecracks would be smaller.Instead of the members with the most experience on the board limiting themselves to one post a day, I hope they will manage to summon up more inspiration and challenging ideas, so that boredom will prompt fewer ribald posts.

#25899 04/04/01 10:50 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
In my own defense, I would like to point out that, by in large, my posts are not gratuitous. For example, my segue to the largest fungus was to one on the Michigan peninsula and which was once thought to be the worlds largest. That fungus is a "fairy circle" and the segue was from "pixy" from which the word of that day, "pixilated" comes.

I have introduced topics which, while they do not belong to the field of linguistics, are central to philosophic thought on language and, therefor belong on this board. At least as I have understood it. And I have engaged in, and attempted to extend, discussions whose topic no one could argue was not linguistics.

The odd press thread was meant to give examples of the odd usages and errors that creep up in the press and which were the topic, at one point, of another thread. I interrupted that thread with nonce words because, as a new comer, I misunderstood the thread's heading.

My reference to the Cheshire Cat was meant to draw attention to the literally fantastic logical constructions underlying Carroll's masterpiece. I believe it is this underlying sense which lends all the magic to his work. If my definition of "isis" was tortured, it was at worst a poor parody of academic writing--and, thus, also language related.

Wit, in general, is essential to language. To my mind ouble entendres and the like only draw from the depths of language. I can't apologize if some don't care for my sense of humor, although I *am* sorry they don't. Little of it, however, is gratuitous.

Finally, as to the quality of posts, I would like to point out that I actually attempted to give the very sort of shoulder tap that Max spoke of in his truly charming way. The post immediately following the first "tatas" post was mine. I wrote "Oy." I did not mean to offend anyone, but I did mean to voice my disapproval.

Unfortunately, I later fell victim to the same trap. I have deleted that post.

If I have caused certain cherished members of this board to leave it, that has certainly not been my intention and I regret their response.

If my approach is somewhat eccentric--as today's word directly suggests--it is meant to be collegial.

IP

#25900 04/04/01 11:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i, too, have noticed that the number of posts has become rather unwieldy, and have had to resort to skipping over a few threads. i've thought quite a bit about what or who might responsible for this (including some introspection) but it seems to me that the problem we are facing is simply that there are currently a lot more enthusiastic participants than existed not so long ago. it doesn't appear to me, in comparing recent posts to, say, four months ago that any of the users are posting any more gratuitously than before, merely that *more* people are doing so. that being said, the only way to bring things back to the good old days would be for all of us newcomers to take a hike. unfortunately, we like it here as much as the rest of you, and in large part *because* of the rest of you. i daresay that having anna, tsuwm and whoever else is inclined to participate in this one-a-day boycott will deprive the rest of us of much of the enjoyment we have come to expect.

as for the debauchery, i'm with hyla and jackie in whatever thread it was that this issue was originally addressed; i think innuendo--cleverly brought forth--can be hilarious. OTOH, i don't care to have it belabored in a more explicit manner than is necessary.

inselpeter, i can't imagine i'm wrong in thinking that anna's comments were not aimed at you. your contributions are--for me, at least--consistently worthy and enjoyable.

bottom line is, i'm open to suggestions. i don't think a boycott by our 'founding fathers and mothers' is the answer, but nor do i think that cutting out all of the witty one-liners will serve our purposes. i love a good, quick pun. i think we all do.

i'm game for any plan y'all come up with (BTW, i do believe this is my only post of the day, FWIW)

(edited) addendum: maybe it's just SPRING FEVER!? for the US'ns, at least

#25901 04/05/01 01:39 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
AnnaStrophic>>
For now, I'm adopting tsuwm's postaday™ m.o.

IMHO, Clearly this is not the solution to the problem. Why should we who are innocent be punished by witholding from us the wisdom, the wit, the alacrity,of somebody like tsuwm and and many others of his kind, who are the bottomless source of information and enlightenment for us newcomers.
Please reconsider.

chronist

#25902 04/05/01 02:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
First, let me say that I happen to know that both Anna and
tsuwm are busier right now than they have been, and that I hope this pull-back is VERY temporary for both. Also, we need Jo (jmh) back! (Hint, Dearest.) She always has ideas,
which is my third thing: I love Bill's idea about coming up with inspiring and challenging ideas! I wish ALL of you would! Because that is something I am not good at, which I think has been evident. I do not have a talent for seeing what isn't there. I re-act, but seldom pro-act.

The above postings are causing me some concern that there may be an "us vs. them" mentality developing. I really hope not. I personally do not adapt well to change, and am quite curmudgeonly about it (was just called an "old grouch" at choir practice for refusing to clap on Sunday
morning). But I sincerely hope that the newcomers have not been given the sweeping impression that they are not welcome if they don't conform. Everyone, old and new alike,
has their own special interests and also ways of speaking.
Also--everyone has bad days, and this may account for some of the "I'm upset" posts, at times. I, at least, am willing to grant folks the benefit of the doubt on that score. It is also my opinion that everyone has the right to say when they are upset and why, but if I may make a suggestion: if we can do it without passing negative judgments (eg. stupid post), expressing an opinion is much less likely to cause hurt feelings.
maverick, I would really like your wisdom on this, Sweetie.
I think you could do us all some good.

#25903 04/05/01 02:25 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
This will be my final comment on this matter. It seems to me that the easiest solution for the ribaldry is for it to be moved to its own thread. I agree with inselpeter that many of his posts hav been at least tangentially languge-related, and I have no problem with posts that get one thinking. What happened the to the very language-focused thread on "Up" illustrates the ease with which my suggestion could be implemented. When the shift is made to pure banter, why not just start "Non-Word Stuff #X" and invite all who wish to post to that thread? That way, no one is having their freedom of expression stifled, and those who are looking for discussions on matters related to words can find them without having to wade through "off-topic" posts. I have been at least as guilty as anyone else in failing to do this, but shall try a little harder in future.

Salaam

#25904 04/05/01 03:04 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Adenoid After posting this, I felt impelled to add my voice to Jackie's in wishing for the avoidance of an "us v. them "situation developing. Remarkably, those who post here have always seemed to be much more "us" than "them" and I hope it stays that way. If someone can manage to post 15 challenging and thought-provoking posts a day, that can only be good for the board, or so it seems to me. I have enjoyed much of the banter that goes on here, and would not like to see it disappear completely, nor any of those who post it. To illustrate the alternative, I have resurrected the thread "We are not alone". A look through the archives of this "I & " forum will show that similar discussions have been held frequently, and will no doubt occur again.

#25905 04/05/01 03:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max, I wondered who had resurrected that thread! And your add-on wasn't annoying, Sweetie, despite your best efforts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith