Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
old hand
old hand
B
I'll be the first to admit that most popular hip-hop music is rubbish (Puff Daddy, Snoop, Jay-Z, Lil' Kim, et al).
But people, until you've sat down and listened to something like Pharcyde, Black Eyed Peas or Mos Def, please do us a favour and hold your two finger typing. This music is fun and, yes, sometimes even thought-provoking and you can bop your head to the beat.
My list of favs would be too long, but if there's one composer I can recommend it is Richard D. James aka. Aphex Twin, a musical philosopher, a master mind.

F
addict
addict
F
belligerentyouth makes a great point about how good, thoughtful rap is so much different from the more popular stuff. I'd have to add De La Soul, KRS-ONE, Outkast and (some) Tupac Shakur to your list, b-y. Lately I have been introduced to Moby, who's musical creations are almost impossible to pigeon-hole into a category, but appeal to a wide range of musical tastes.

As far as "classical" music goes, I took a "music appreciation" class in college that really opened me up to the depth and intricacy of the great composers, from Beethoven to Stravinsky, but I feel like to really understand and get the utmost out of classical music I would need to study it more. That said, I do enjoy Copeland, Gershwin and Joplin when I'm in the mood.

I'd also like to put in a plug for a fabulous folk singer whom I have been a fan of for some time now: Catie Curtis writes and performs some of the most thoughtful, emotional, and catchy folk I have ever heard. If she comes through your area, check her out.

I also listen to some "pop" and "hard rock", but I'll save myself the embarrasment of listing band names.

It has been so interesting to hear what my fellow ayleurs are listening to!

Yes, I'm a Dad, and yes, I listen to rap,

Flatlander

L
stranger
stranger
L
Greetings--I am a new member as of today and will try not to waste your time of give offense. I have been searching for a music related word for years (even tried to invent my own with no success). I think there is a French equivilent for the word I seek. Help please.

Is there a word to describe the common condition of having a tune, song, melody, etc., go through ones mind forever (or seemingly forever). The tune is often the last thing I hear on the radio while driving to work, but they can come unbidden in the middle of the day. People think I am strange when they hear me humming "you better watch out; you better not cry; Santa..." in July. Thanks.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
There is a medical term, although I can't remember it. You can find it in "The Man Who Thought His Wife Was a Hat," by the neurologist/writer who's name's gone out of my head. He writes of a patient who heard the same tune for 15 or 20 years without rest.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hi Larry, nice to have you on Board.

You might want to check out the Helpful hints for newcomers thread in the Information and Announcements category. It’ll save you a lot of wondering on how to get around and how to do things like make your words bold or how to add emoticons .

As to your question. I have no idea. I usually call it annoying in French and English

Addendum...
I forgot to tell you to look in the top right corner right below the list that goes from Main Index to Logout.
When you are in the Main Index you have a little note that says 'welcome you have ... messages' Click on Check private to view your personal mail. Sometimes, new members are not aware of this find it only after several months.

#24643 03/26/01 03:41 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The author of "The Man...Hat" is Oliver Sachs, a renowned neurologist.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

is there a word to describe the common condition of having a tune, song, melody, etc., go through ones mind forever (or seemingly forever). The tune is often the last thing I hear on the radio while driving to work, but they can come unbidden in the middle of the day. People think I am strange when they hear me humming "you better watch out; you better not cry; Santa..." in July.

you think you've got it bad? from the Onion:
Ronald DeGaetano, sole survivor of the Jan. 31
Alaska Airlines crash that claimed 88 lives, has had the
1982 Asia song "Sole Survivor" stuck in his head
ever since. "Goddamn it, I can't get that stupid thing out
of my head," DeGaetano said. "After the plane went
down, I was floating out there in the Pacific, thinking about
how I was the sole survivor, and for some reason, that
song popped into my head. Now I can't get it out, and it's
driving me friggin' nuts."
DeGaetano said that if he does not shake the song
soon, he is going to "start wishing I hadn't been the
sole survivor."

[yart alert -- all those who detest yarts, stop reading NOW]
this came up before, and some suggestions were made that you might want to look at...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=2260

...and for those who don't want to have to deal with an old thread, one idea was the German ohrwurm, which translates to ear candy or mindworm.

B
veteran
veteran
B
Bach cantatas
I think you're thinking of "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen". Franz Liszt wrote an extensive fantasie and fugue for organ on this.

B
veteran
veteran
B
I'm into nearly all types of music from medieval to comtemporary, with some exceptions, such as rap (which I don't recognize as music), hard rock, heavy metal, country twangie-wang (which I find saccharine). I like, but don't listen much to, most jazz especially blues, dixieland and ragtime. Don't care much for swing (most of it sounds too much alike). But what I really appreciate most is church music, especially English. Naturally, this takes in a great deal of music written up thru Bach. But, being an incurable romantic, I really go for the Wesleys, Samuel and Samuel Sebastian, and the later Victorians and Edwardians, Stanford, Parry, Howells, to name the best-known. Yesterday at church was a great day since it hit on music which is at the top of my favorites list: An anthem by Goss (which I helped to sing) on the text, "O taste and see" set for double choir; the great Welsh hymn, Guide me O thou great Jehovah to the tune Cwm Rhondda and for organ postlude Bach's masterpiece chorale prelude O Mensch Bewein dein' Suende gross. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

#24647 03/26/01 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Any of y'all out there who have a category you don't consider music have a definition of music that everything you like fits but the stuff you don't consider music doesn't?

Note: I'll not require that stuff you don't like but do consider music either fit or not fit the definition.

BTW, I don't like opera or Amazon River Indian music. There are some, such as gagaku, that I like but can't take more than about 20 minutes of in one sitting.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 771 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith