A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
bobyoungbalt writes:
If we don't call you back, you're the one

okay, this is the first time (and last, probably) that i will call a YART alert (hi, bellyouth!)

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=22017

#24541 03/23/01 09:14 PM
N
addict
addict
N
While we're on such phoney matters - how long before the computer gives up trying? The last several days I've come home to the same computerized message on my answering machine wherein the mechanical (or digitized?) voice mispronounces not my Polish last name but my fairly ordinary first. Don't know if this qualifies as a rant, but it's at least a pet peeve: I DETEST computerized calling and cannot imagine anyone being so desperate as to return a call from a computer! Particularly when it gives only a number, no company, no reason for the call, no nothing. Grrrr.

#24542 03/23/01 10:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like 'em really pithy (surprise!). if you can give them the repeat menu option I would go with Flatlander's, but winnow out even more words; to wit:

Welcome to [name] manufacturing. You may enter an extension number at any time.

to reach the sales department, press 2
for accounting, press 4
for shipping, press 5
for a directory organized by first(??) name, press 7

If you need further assistance, press zero or stay on the line.

Thank you for calling [name] manufacturing.

#24543 03/24/01 03:52 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yup, I'm with tsuwm on this one. The shorter the message the better. It is a chore having to wait through loads of useless information. Just make sure you enunciate so that people don`t have to redial just to understand what you said.

#24544 03/24/01 08:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We had an answerphone for many years. When it finally gave up the ghost we decided not to replace it for a while and see if the world fell apart. It didn't. We've never replaced it.

However, I have always admired the message that Kris Kristofersson(?sp) had on an answering machine in a movie (he was a forest ranger in a tower). It simply said "Speak!" They don't come any pithier, do they?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#24545 03/24/01 02:15 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Tsuwm has it just about perfect. And the note about enunciating is spot on!

I find it annoying that some machine voices do not take into consideration that you may have a phone with the dial buttons IN the handset ... so have to take the handset away from your ear to punch a number and in the two seconds it takes to get the handset back to your ear the NEXT instruction is half done! Arrrrggghhh.
No way to fix that, I guess. Can't imagine they haven't thought of that circumstance and failed to correct it.
I know that the answer is for caller to use a set with the buttons on a separate unit of the telephone. But not always possible ... friend's home...hotel...
wow

#24546 03/24/01 03:43 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
they don't come any pithier

fitting that the pithiest would be in a wood

#24547 03/26/01 04:15 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
YARTalert
I plead guilty and throw myself on thr mercy of the court. I received this from a friend of mine in an email and entirely forgot that it had already appeared here, I was so busy laughing.

#24548 03/26/01 07:26 PM
X
X
>>>in the two seconds it takes to get the handset back to your ear ... No way to fix that, I guess.<<<

that should be easy to fix. record a second or 2 of nothing before you begin the message.

#24549 03/26/01 09:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I worked for Xerox, I was in the field. In NYC, Xerox had a number of field office, that Xerox employees used as lunch rooms. These facilities had phones, but the numbers were not listed as "Xerox", so customer did not know the number.

Sometimes, managers tried to reach employees at the field offices to alert them to hot calls. Technicians who wanted to have a work free lunch hour disliked the interruption.
One technician was beeped by a manager, but wanted to wait till he had finished lunch before taking any calls.

A few minutes later, the field office phone rang– the tech suspected it was the manager. He answered the phone, and spoke in a very mechanical way
"You have reached a non working tech rep at a Xerox field Office. If you wish to speak to a working tech rep, please call (the 800 # for service) or try again later."
and then hung up!

The phone rang again, repeatedly for several minutes– before the noise bothered me. I answered the phone, all sweetness and light. The manager at the other end was hopping mad– and wanted to know who else was in the office. I lied– and said "no one" and then he asked if I had seen anyone exiting the office. I commented that I came to the site a few minutes ago, but had first gone to the Ladies room to wash my hands, and when I entered the office, no one was in it, and the phone was ringing...

The other tech reps watched and listened as a blithely lied– the manager wanted to interrogate me, but I asked him "how long will this take? And how do I account for my time on my work sheet? Xerox business?" Since he was not my manager–he ended the call. And I ate my lunch.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith