About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
#24240 03/24/01 03:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Des, those little old highways are so much more interesting than the speedy Interstates, where often all you see is a long stretch of trees, safely fenced off from the occupants of all those moving vehicles. You could see a farm wife tending the garden, while the farmer was operating some interesting machine out in the field, and hear the cows bawling to be milked; in the towns, you had to stop for a traffic light at practically every corner, and you could see people coming out of the stores with all kinds of things, and sometimes you could see right into their houses. Lonely schools out in the middle of nowhere--probably the only one in the county--and maybe a class would be outside playing kickball. All those neon signs! Diners--coffee 10 cents, free refill. Old men in overalls, on benches around the courthouse yard. On the way to Tennessee, we'd always stop at the Wigwam motel, a
concrete tepee that delighted my childish eyes. The heavy
waitress, Myrtle, knew just how I liked my cheeseburger and
chocolate milkshake. Thank you for this trip down memory
"lane".

#24241 03/24/01 02:21 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You are right about the Trans-Canada Highway Bean. When my cousin came in from Califorinia he was amazed that the elevated part that runs right through Montréal has no shoulder in case of emergencies and that several of the exits are from the fast lane.

(What!! You went all the way through and you didn`t stop in to see me!)

#24242 03/24/01 02:56 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jackie wrote >Des, those little old highways are so much more interesting than the speedy Interstates
-------------------------------------------------
In summer the Interstate 93 near the N.H. seacoast is clogged with people heading for beach and mountains. Especially on long weekends!
If needs be we travel at those times we take the back roads where we may have to go more slowly but at least we are "turning a wheel."
Some of my more enjoyable days, travelling several times across the USA, were spent on roads parallel to Interstates.
I got to my destination ... perhaps a bit more slowly but certainly with less stress and the added bonus being that I "saw" the country.
wow

#24243 03/24/01 08:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Some of my more enjoyable days, travelling several times across the USA, were spent on roads parallel to Interstates.

Glad to hear it. That's how SWMBO and I plan to cross the States in June/July. Yippee!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#24244 03/24/01 11:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...And, Kiwi from the capital, how many of us US'ns do you and your better half, aka SWMBO, plan to visit [stocking-up-on-grits emoticon]?

#24245 03/25/01 03:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, Kiwi from the capital, how many of us US'ns do you and your better half, aka SWMBO, plan to visit

Well, Anna, I'll give you fair warning: if'n they git to
Looahvull, Ah just might keep 'em here so long that they won't have time for anybody else...[stocking up on Kentucky bourbon emoticon]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Now, now ... let us remember we are Ladies!

I hope the Zild adventurers will keep a daily journal to record the memories for later revisiting. Memories fade or get mixed up so easily without a written record. It can seem a nuisance while "on the road" but later ...well,
I'm so glad I kept a journal on my first visit to Ireland.
Thus spake the former reporter.

Oh, CapK ... have you ever tasted a "caught today" NH lobster?
wow

#24247 03/25/01 05:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The pool should be quite refreshing by then...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, CapK ... have you ever tasted a "caught today" NH lobster?

Oh, no! Nuh UH! "Let's be Ladies", huh? Sure, fine--you and Anna go off and be "Ladies" together, and meantime I'll entertain the Zilders so well they may never want to leave!
Nyah, nyah! Psst--Cap. K.--those lobsters may be good, but if you'll come to Louisville, I'll get you some paua patties if I have to have them flown in from NZ!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmm. I've been away for a whole 24 hours, suffering in the sun and being forced to stay in luxurious surroundings in Napier, and here you all are talking about me behind my back!

We've not made any firm plans - except, yes, to see Jackie, who wants to demonstrate why "He needed killin' " is a legitimate legal defence for murder in Ol' Kaintuck, and Wow, who insists that I admire the shortish, but beautiful NH coastline. But don't feed me lobster, please. I'm allergic to it. Worked parts of two seasons on a crayfish (lobster) boat. Never ate any of the product! Jackie's offer of paua patties would be more exceptable, except I wonder where abalones grow in the mid-West, I really do, Jackie ...

And anyone who could supply large numbers of Bluff oysters, well, both of us would move in and you'd never get rid of us until the US Immigration Service bundled us up and deported us!

Our idea is to follow Route 66, kinda, with diversions which may be longer or shorter, depending on where the subject of the diversion is. Elizabeth, any chance of moving Georgia a little further west?

We'll be typical rubberneckers. Anything that looks interesting or we've seen in some medium, or I've seen before and want to show Sandra, we'll go and see - or at least as much of it as we can do in the time we have available.

Your invitations are all very kind, and we'll try to visit as many of you as we can. It'd be really great to meet all you US'ns and maybe a Canuck or two.

I hope to have a good quality digital camera with me and when I can I'd like to put up a page on a web site with piccies of everyone (who's prepared to be photographed and exposed to public pillor... I mean, scrutiny. Plus some words, of course, how could I do it without words? That, at the end of the day, is what the Board is all about, isn't it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith