Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#23791 03/21/01 10:13 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Toronto (ontario,Canada) was/is called "Hog Town" also, for being the main pig slaughter place for Canada. I'm told it was once called "Muddy York", for when it didn't have paved streets (wood was lain down, and then proper roads over time...).

Scarborough, part of Metropolitan Toronto on the fringes is dubbed "Scarberia". In winter it really does have the feel of being in Siberia.

A few minutes drive from where I live now, North Hampton is called NoHo, as a play on SoHo.

Ali

#23792 03/21/01 11:34 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Burlington's main street takes the hill straight up, from the craggy extremity of the Green Mountain Range to the weird brick mounds of University buildings at the summit. It is called for the trees that lined it once, gave it shade. Magnificent trees! Three basketball players couldn't link arms around the trunk of even the smallest of them. Now, not the plumb-sawed stumps--not the molded trace of inch-thick tabletops let rotting in fall and break-ice spring when the blight hit. Not one tree standing. But the street is still-called, "Elm."

Across the state, in a place they call the Northeast Kingdom if few know why, a road unmarked until they put the 911 system in leads three miles over hills to the hollow. In the seventies, hippies and the folk who hung with hippies built their cabins there, their shacks and teepees. It was already called Lost Nation then, they didn't name it. Who did, a hundred years before or longer, weren't satisfied to live beyond the line of nowhere, in a place that still records the coldest weather in the lower forty-eight. Often, anyway.They wanted further back Who knows why? They had a church and a schoolhouse and a road--they must have known where they were. I can't help wondering who it was they were lost *to*.

Agnes Varda at 72. On the image of her hands:

"I look at these hands, the horror of them.."

#23793 03/22/01 01:12 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Within the Town of Lansing is the Village of South Lansing"

Am I right in understanding that a "town" in New York is the equivalent of a "township" in Michigan; ie, a sub-portion of a county. Around here, a "town" is a municipality, smaller than a "city" and larger than a "village."

"...the east side of Cayuga Lake you get to a sign the welcomes you to Lansing. Drive a little farther north and you see a sign welcoming you to South Lansing."

Ha! Lansing, Michigan, is right next to East Lansing, Michigan. Oddly enough, apparently, East Lansing is immediately east of Lansing. Both are municipalities, one is the state capital and the other the home of Michigan State University. GO SPARTANS!

"Homer, NY, BTW, is about a half hour northeast of Ithaca.

Homer, Michigan, is 15 miles west of Jackson and not especially near Ithaca, which is 15 miles south of Mount Pleasant.

#23794 03/22/01 01:17 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Troy is up near Schenectady, NY"

Nope. It's a suburb of Detroit. Right next to Rochester.

#23795 03/22/01 01:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sparteye-- wow, i never realize any of this-- (I have only been to michigan once-- to Kalamazoo) .

I was taught all about the canal, and how it opened the way for westward expantion, and i knew little bits-- but i never realized there was that much movement from NY to Michigan.

The NY state millia was "paid" after the revolutionary war with plots of land upstate --an this help "settle" some of the towns-- and the canal, and great lakes commerce helped to drive the upstate economy--Buffalo is still the second largest city in the state.
Faldage has given all the nice classical names of up state towns/cities-- the ones i always enjoyed were less classical ones, towns like Painted Post and Horsehead--

#23796 03/22/01 01:38 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ok, guess it's up to me ...
On State Route 308 in Pennsylvania (west of Philadelphia) there is a town called Intercourse. In the heart of Amish-Mennonite country.
At a seminar I attended, during introductions, one participant noted "I may be the only one here who can legitimately say he left Intercourse to attend this seminar."
A nearby town is called "Bird In Hand."
wow

#23797 03/22/01 01:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
in a place that still records the coldest weather in the lower forty-eight

HA! she exclaimed leaping to the defence (defense) of her state ... coldest temps recorded are atop OUR Mt. Washington, New Hampshire.
Take that, Vermont!
wow

#23798 03/22/01 02:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Ok, guess it's up to me ...
On State Route 308 in Pennsylvania (west of Philadelphia) there is a town called Intercourse

Penn State University, long famed for its success on the football field, is located in Happy Valley and plays its games in Beaver Stadium.

No wonder they have such success in recruiting.

#23799 03/22/01 02:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
have you gone to the top of Mt Washington, Wow? I went once-- i wanted to drive-- but the cog rail won out-- and a good thing-- it was mid July, and 90º at the base-- at the top-- a blizzard and below freezing--a total white out-- we would not have been able to find our way (50 feet or so) from the snack shop back to the railway, except it sound its horn! we couldn't see it until we were only steps away! I was very glad not to driving in that weather!

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I

Mt. Wash. is not only cold, but the summit is bleak, NH *can* boast of one of the most beautiful places there can possibly be on the East Coast, the Franconia Notch.

Troy: you and I both know, there is no place colder than NY :)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith