the bladeruiner

So we gotta call you Shavi?

#23450 03/21/01 02:13 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Back to the original topic...

I only read fiction these days. I get enough nonfiction reading at university to completely turn me away from anything requiring brain power at home. So for fictional purposes I would suggest anything by Robertson Davies, Margaret Laurence, Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, Douglas Coupland, Carol Shields, W. O. Mitchell, W. P. Kinsella. Farley Mowat kind of crosses the fiction-nonfiction line. I just read Black Robe by Brian Moore and it was really good. (You may notice most of these authors are Canadian - I have been reading mostly Canadian authors these last few years because I can relate to them more than US authors, which I unknowingly overdosed on as a child.)

For junky mystery books which you can read in one afternoon, I would suggest the Maggody series by Joan Hess, the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton, the Her Majesty investigates series by C. C. Benison. I also read a book about cat crimes once but couldn't seem to track down the rest of the series.

#23451 03/21/01 07:59 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Does anyone know the name of a book published in the last few years that listed names of US towns?

One such book is All Over the Map, by David Jouris

It has collections of placenames in the US which fit various themes. Major categories are: artistic, natural, divine, historical, eccentric, everyday, personal and miscellaneous. Under eccentric is a map of the curiously juxtaposed. Michigan's curiously juxtaposed are Romulus and Remus, and Chase and Quarry. Of course, we also have both Hell and Paradise, and Cadillac and Pontiac.

Any requests?

#23452 03/21/01 08:09 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I read lots of fiction, with a little non-fiction stuck in from time to time when I feel like learning something new in depth.

I enjoy historical fiction a great deal, and have a couple of favorites. The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian is great, and at 18 volumes, can keep one occupied for some time. It's set in the British navy during the Napoleonic wars and is funny, thrilling, educational - really good.

Also, the Chronicles of Lymond, by Dorothy Dunnet, are great. It's a 6-book series set in Scotland in the 16th century. It's brilliantly written (she's very well read and it shows), lots and lots of fun, and as well executed a bit of suspense as I've run across.

For non-fiction, my favorite of recent years is Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Really insightful and thought-provoking - and a great title.

#23453 03/21/01 10:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anna's "organic RAMs" reminded me of something offered by Wendalyn Nichols,
the editorial director of Random House Reference with whom we had a chat back in January:

"wetware"

i routinely use 'hardware', 'software', 'freeware', 'shareware' and 'treeware',
but i'd never heard this term.

#23454 03/21/01 10:37 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I spend and awful lot on technical books and various references for art, so for the rest of my reading time and funds I tend to spend on fiction. Especially mystery or fantasy/science fiction. Lord of the Rings, of course. I enjoy Tanya Huff's writing when she gets into humor, like in "Summon the Keeper". Anne Perry is enjoyable for her victorian mysteries, and Ellis Peter's for her medieval. Lynda S. Robinson for her ancient Egyptian mysteries. The Harry Potter series is fun for light reading and humor - good "bad day" books. For me, science fiction seems to excell when it's in the short story form. I'm saved from technobabble when words are at a premium. Names escape me, because I don't seem to retain them on my shelves any better than in my mind.

Ali

#23455 03/21/01 11:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for real style in the science-fantasy realm, I can't recommend anyone more than Gene Wolfe; particularly his Book of the New Sun (an epic published variously in 2 or 4 volumes).

#23456 03/22/01 01:28 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"wetware"....pen and real ink?

For good mysteries try the Dick Francis books. All set against the world of horse racing. I am not a racing fan but find his books informative, interesting and entertaining. Francis himself a former jockey in England brings a real feel for the game to his books.

As for cat mystery books... could it be the series of "The Cat Who ....." by Lillian Braun. Best read in order as the protagonist's life evolves as the series progresses.

My Library has a book that lists authors, their books and the order in which they were written. Bet yours does too!

Anyone out there read Jack Finney's "Time and Again?" I am on fifth copy .... and *this one will *not* be loaned.

If anyone has a copy ... or knows where one may be obtained ... of an old book, green cover, called "The Life And Struggles Of An Irish Boy In America" by Lawlor ....PLEASE contact me. I listed with a dozens of book finder services over the years but no joy.
wow

#23457 03/22/01 01:30 PM
old hand
old hand
Or bellicoderma?

#23458 03/22/01 01:58 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
bellipotent
wow

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith