Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
addict
addict
H
Nemo - you just graduated from stranger status! Congrats.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
His son being the second?

Bingo! I received a rather dismissive reply from the magaine, telling that basically Richard Cromwell's tenure was so short it didn't count. That did not do much to for my opinion of the magazine.

N
addict
addict
N
Hey, guys, no fair moving the posts just when I find somewhere to add my two cents worth!
Bridget: As one of the new kids on the block - and one who's not particularly tuned in to nuance -I don't understand why you felt your comments about proofreading belong in a non-word thread (here!). Seems to me proofreading is primarily about words. (Although, having made an occasional dollar or two as a proofreader, I admit my worst mistake was with numbers - a misplaced decimal point in a medication dosage .

Back to proofeading: I, too, do it almost automatically, but menus don't bother me half as much as newspapers, especially headlines. Since they supposedly have people whose job it is to proofread, it really sets my teeth on edge!

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
do deliberate typographical "errors" exist, or are they merely the product of a cynical imagination?

The newspapers I worked for had a rule that disallowed errors on purpose, also inverted or up side down ads, to catch a reader's attention.
There was one exception allowed in The Exeter News Letter.
A book seller called his establishment simply : "Boooks " in the advertisement and when the Ad Manager spotted the ad was having none of it. He called the book seller to explain it was not allowed.
When the book seller answered in a heavy Scots accent "Boooks" the Ad Mgr gave up and allowed the ad to be placed with the three "o"s.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT : I found an error in the Oxford Press English/American Ameican/English dictionary that was offered in Harrod's book department in 1971. It stated that Parker House Rolls were originated in Chicago, Illinois. Pshaw!
Parker House rolls were begun by a chef-baker at The Parker House in Boston, Mass. They are a delicious dinner roll still served in that hotel which is near the Massachusetts State House. I put the book back on the shelf.
Often wondered if they ever corrected it?
Whatever, if any, proofs Oxford Press offers it will be disbelieved in Boston!
If you want more on book editing send a Private, thanks.

wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NancyK says: I don't understand why you felt your comments about proofreading belong in a non-word thread (here!).

Yeah, ol' Chopped Liver here pointed that out on page 1 of this thread.

Anyway, welcome. Wait till you get a load of the local spellchecker.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Noachian orthography

nemo, are you making possibly the best pun this place has seen in ages??? I LOVE it!!!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What I want to know, is why is it I can see everybody else's typos, but can't see my own?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill, that's Nature's way of keeping editors in business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand why you felt your comments about proofreading belong in a non-word thread (here!).

You know what, Nancy? you and ol' chopped liver (hereinafter OCL, with an -eur suffixed to it as to make it pronouncable) are absolutely right. i can't imagine why i second guessed myself, as i now clearly see that this is most definitely, unequivocably a Word Thread. tell you what i'll do: If everyone wants to erase their messages, i'll delete mine as well then i'll repost in a word thread. Third time's the charm....

Oh, and for the record, when OCLeur first posted i was (uncharacteristically) away from AWAD for an extended period, or i'd have fessed up earlier.

bridget kneels and does three hail marys and an our father

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OCLeur??!!!

Get thee behind me, Bridget!

Well, you know how desultory these threads get. Soon our High Priestess wow may have to start a Non-word#4....

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith