Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
This begins the third Non Word thread.
It was originated by AnnaStrophic and continued by me with her (and Jackie's) blessings.

OK ... post away!
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lapsus linguae,
As little as I've been able to be here this week, it has taken me until today to be aware that you're back. I am
SO glad you're not out to pasture on your tether!
You are so neat--I do wish you'd post more.
==========================================================

Last evening, I went to hear author Dave Pelzer speak. He has written a series of riveting autobiographical books, based on his horrific history as an abused child. They are all--well, the first three--still on the Bestseller list, but I'll give the titles anyway: 'A Child Called It' outlines his life up to age 12, when he was rescued (his word) and put in foster care. The second, 'The Lost Boy',
tells about his life from ages 12 to 18. 'A Man Named Dave'
continues on from there. He has a brand new one out, called, I think, 'Help Yourself'.

It was--interesting-- to hear him. Apparently he is now doing some counseling with youth, and is urging his survival strategies on to them. I could tell that he
doesn't "have it all together", quite, but I'm not sure anyone could who knew that his mother was trying to kill him, and in fact made repeated attempts to do so.
What he had to say was mostly pretty good. Though I wish he had not tried being a comedian--it took a lot away.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It would be interesting to know what helped Dave Pelzer survive abuse that could have destroyed him.
A few years ago I read a description by a successful astronomer of how his mother compelled him to engage in incest with her.
The only important factor that occurs to me is motivation. It would be wonderful if healthy motivation could be supplied to those who need it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i posted something to this effect in Miscellany yesterday, then realized it would be more appropriate here. with tsuwm's help (Thanks, tsuwm!) i deleted it without a trace, and didn't bother reposting it, figuring nobody'd be the wiser. i wasn't aware that i was deleting it, somebody was trying to reply, so here it is, nancyK:

I received an invitation to a baby christening today, with this intriguing addendum:

O'doerves and appetizers will be served

had it been a St Paddy's day gathering, i would've been amused by the pun (discounting the transposition of the r and the v as a typo), but this christening is scheduled for april.

it reminded me of something i'd been meaning to ask you, my AWAD friends: Are any of you cursed with the tendancy to find typos everywhere you look? i'm the last one to comment on someone's typing skills, as i rarely use spell check myself in forums such as these. i'm referring, rather, to written media such as magazine advertisements, billboards, contracts, product warranties, etc., which i believe can and should be held to a higher standard. i don't look for the typos, but it's almost as if they were written in BOLD, by the way they seem to jump off of the pages. i have to bite my tongue in restaurants to keep from pointing out the inevitable errors to my husband, who (after ten years) no longer finds my hobby amusing. (OTOH, some of my friends who are similarly afflicted report that they like to make a game of it).

anyone relate? or is it just me?

~b

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And I wonder what the difference was between the "horse doovers" and the appetizers. Maybe the hors d'oeuvres were not appetizing?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
they seem to jump off of the pages

Yes, distressingly the same, to the equal boredom of my family and friends! I had put it down to all the lifetimes spent doing DTP type work - but maybe it's simply a kifted streak of my personality. Nice to know I share it with congenial others.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Since olives stuffed with pimento are commonly an hors d'oeuvre item, I am reminded of a gag Fred Allen pulled on his radio program in the thirties, making fun of expensive pretentious useless gifts. He said he had gotten a solid gold pimento paddle. Absolutely essential to tucking any pimento herniating out of the olive back where it belonged.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
O'dourves and Appetizers

Oops, i was going from memory, and typing by rote since my mind has been on March Madness all morning (GOOOOOOO CARDINAL). the invitation actually promised "O'dourves and Beverages". i didn't even realize i'd mistyped (ironically) until i read your post, Bill. i'll pay more attention next time

i guess this ties into the grass houses thread nicely, huh?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
O'dourves and Appetizers
Oops, i was going from memory, and typing by rote since my mind has been on March Madness all morning (GOOOOOOO CARDINAL). the invitation actually promised "O'dourves and Beverages"

Thank you, Bridget. I had noticed the variant spelling the instant I read your repost, and found the irony very satisfying, but was reluctant to bring it to your attention, as doing so would have opened the floodgates for critiques of my own less than adept typing!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Typos, wherever they appear, scream at me. I get no rest from typos. Both typos and factual errors. On the first page of Dean Koontz's novel, "False Memory," our heroine is listening to Bach's Requiem (sic). Fact-checkers, schmact-checkers.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith