Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#22673 03/13/01 07:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
AWAD a beautiful morning, AWAD a beautiful day, I got a beautiful feeling, all will have something to say.

Come one, come all to the party, and, if you feel guilty about partying, just remember, it's all for a wordy cause. In this party, rules are likes mottos, malodorous and unnecessary, with one exception - sobriety WILL NOT be tolerated. So lighten up, stop worrying about your gout, and celebrate the first year of life for this amazing baby, born with the gift of gab striaght from it's father's womb!
Now if you will excuse me, I must go and bake my famous (in my own lunchtime) chocoholi'c's chocolate cake. TTFN, party on

#22674 03/13/01 07:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I brung a kilderkin of Ithaca Pale Ale.

#22675 03/13/01 08:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll be celebrating at lunch time. Ah well, so much for the rest of the day. Wellington has WAY too many wine bars ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#22676 03/14/01 12:54 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, maybe just sip of ginger wine, and is that kahlua I see over there? And who made these chocolate eclairs? I might even try the penguin hoosh a bit later on.

Bingley

Bingley
#22677 03/14/01 08:29 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I have to decide whether to eat haggis, neaps and tatties with a sip of the finest malt to help it all down. Alternatively, I might go to the other side of town and indulge in a deep fried pizza followed by a deep fried Mars bar and a drop of IrnBru no, maybe not. Instead, I think I'll go to my favourite Auld Alliance restaurant and celebrate with goat's cheese salad and a glass of fine claret, no make that a lovely New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. I'll raise a glass to y'all.

Jo

#22678 03/14/01 09:02 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
At the end of my two years at at Ruskin College, my comrades were all convinced that I had been given an endorsement, on my Diploma, for Home Brewing. (I had produced between five and ten gallons each week during term time.)
So I have made five gallons of Best Strong Bitter, five of Special Brew Lager and five of Irish Porter that tastes almost exactly, but not quite, like Guinness.
So come and fill up your pint pots - "Come, my little ones, and Drink,/ Before Life's Liquor in it's Cup runs dry!"

I will jostle with Bingley for the chocolate eclairs, after sharing a plate of delicious haggis with Jo - it goes very well with Guinness, incidentally, as well as with Malt.
When the serious work starts, I have a couple of bottles of Jameson's in my bag, which I will share with all like-minded souls.
And that's when we really start to put the language to rights!

#22679 03/14/01 09:50 AM
addict
addict
I really cannot understand... who ever said we wordiphiles are obsessed with food and drink?

I thought it would be nice to provide at least one item to counter the effects of so much gout-friendly food and drink in this place. For everyone's enjoyment, I have made a couple of big bowls of Spanish gazpacho: lots of tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and a bit of bread, all blended in the food blender with some olive oil, vinegar and cumin. It is chilled, refreshing and very very delicious. Enjoy!

[helping-myself-to-elevenses-and-appreciating-everyone's-culinary-specialties emoticon]
YUM!

Marianna

#22680 03/14/01 11:08 AM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Two bowls of Tziki, a greek dip. Only in my corner, though.

jimthedog

#22681 03/14/01 11:39 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Tziki? That's tzatziki to you :-) how many cloves of garlic did you put in? .. break out some 'Rezina' and Yamas!

I offer some of Baveria's finest brew (virtual ale that is): although Löwenbrau (pronounced Lerven-brow please) is the most popular amber nectar, Augustiner is what the Baverians hold in highest regard, and they know their beer!

I don't think a virtual piss-up would work that well.

#22682 03/14/01 12:04 PM
old hand
old hand
My offering for this day - a re-creation of expensive nights in a cheap restaurant (the nights were very long!) - the ever-brilliant Cafe Mahesh, off P M Road, Fort, Bombay.

To drink:

1 bucket of ice
1 bottle of Old Monk Rum (the finest dark rum in the world, and arguably the finest spirituous liquor in the world)
Steady supply of Thums Ups (almost sickeningly sweet indigenous Indian cola, but somehow perfect with Old Monk)

Keep drinking whilst...

Enjoying Mahesh's famous fish fry - one of the best mid/low-price restaurants in Bombay for seafood.

Since it is not possible to actually bring the spicy masalas of Mahesh to London, I shall settle for - carefully hoarded bottle of Old Monk, cold Coke (no Thums Up here either, alas) and trad Brit fare. Have already started day with fry-up (two rashers bacon, fried toms, beans, fried egg, toast with lashings of butter, marmalade and jam) and will close with fish and chips (and don't you Kiwis say its soggy!)

cheer

the shunshine hic warrior

#22683 03/14/01 12:10 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Hope you all like this jello salad, it's got pineapple, coconut, and of course, miniature marshmallows. I molded it in the shape of the head of Sir Francis Bacon, but I'm not sure those maraschino cherries as his eyes worked out so well. But it does taste great!

Yippee!

#22684 03/14/01 12:18 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that as of today, i.e. a day that will from here on out known as Word Day, or the Day of the Word, or AWADay, or .... etc.... .........
I am a MEMBER.

#22685 03/14/01 12:21 PM
old hand
old hand
Ol' Belli is now a fine upshtanding member. Hic!

Roll me over, in the gutter, with a stutter make a start and drink again!

cheersh

the shunshine... oops I forgot

#22686 03/14/01 01:11 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's nine o'clock in the morning, and you guys are making me hungry. And all I have is an untoasted Pop Tart to eat at my desk. Sigh.

Anyway, I brought the costumes. Who wants to be the conehead? Or the crash-test dummy? A vampire? Two can dress as a pair of dice. Does anybody want the green top hats and St Patty's day paraphernalia? I wonder if I can still fit in the Queen of Hearts dress? And, oh look, here's a pig nose...

[Sparteye's voice disappears as her head is buried in a big cardboard box, old costume bits flying hither and yon]

#22687 03/14/01 01:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh i am all for dress up-- i wore a costume for halloween (to work!) it was a full skirts (in black) and rufflled blouse, in white georgette, with pearls and pearl earings. i also had a wonderful mask of a Madam du Barry (or Marie Anttonette, or Madam Pompaduor(sp?)-- take your pick!) On went the mask, and I was Madam du Barry--of came the mask-- and i was dressed perfectly okay for work -- a little dressier than average (the standard IT uniform being demim).

so let me have the piggy nose, i'll let down my blonde hair, throw it over my shoulder and be Miss Piggy for the day! So I guess i have to me madly in love the Hyla-- since we don't have any kermits here!

#22688 03/14/01 02:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Costumes! What a great idea! I'd like to be a Star Fleet officer, please, and I bet I know who'd like to join me, for galaxies of love.

Marianna, I'm glad you made two bowls: your gazpacho sounds fabulous--one for you, and one for me!

Bacon is Jell-o? Ohmigawd--how funny! Sounds yummy!

I have my CD/tape/record player, so all can bring their favorites and hear them. Paulb? lusy? Any suggestions?
Oh! One of you-all bring your record that has this song;
the one we MUST start off with, the one our sweet Maxie
suggested: AWAD a Beautiful Morning.

#22689 03/14/01 03:30 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Since my wife and I are dieting, she because of being greatly overweight, I to try to fit into the clothes I have bought over the last 2 years or so and haven't been able to wear, the gourmandizing will have to be low-fat and low-cholesterol (so I don't end up with another heart attack), and the drink will be of the grape only.

But that's OK -- it is possible to eat and drink well on a restricted diet; it just takes some figuring out which would make Humpty Dumpty proud.

So I shall go home and cook up a marinara sauce with lots of fresh portobella and white mushrooms (which I have already in the fridge) and have it on spaghetti (imported from Italy) with a green salad with my own nonpareil vinaigrette. And to wash it down, I have a 1.5 liter bottle of a nice red Italian, I forget what, which was on sale last weekend and has been waiting for me all week.

BTW Marianne, how do you get edible tomatoes this time of year? Being on the E. coast of the U.S., there are no local tomatoes available and the ones that come from warmer climes are inedible (to me, at least) -- if from California, they are picked green and shipped in railcars and gassed to make them ripen. They are very pale pink in color and have almost no flavor. We don't eat fresh tomatoes from the time the local ones disappear (October) until they are available again (late June, maybe). Then we go crazy. If we need tomatoes to cook with in the winter, we have to use canned ones, but they wouldn't be good in gazpacho.

#22690 03/14/01 04:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well now, I will bring good Irish soda bread and offer it toasted with whipped cream cheese and a choice of several fruit preserves for the Breakfast crowd and fabulous Hawaiian Kona coffee, regular and decaf.
Then for Luncheon a light salad of greens, baby shrimp, Mandarin orange slices, topped with coconut shreds and a light creamy dressing thinned with the Mandarin orange juice and a glass of Blanc wine from Maui, Hawaii's Tedeschi Winery.
And for Dinner : Bushmill's "Black Bush" Irish whiskey with an appetizer of Roquefort-cheese-based-spread on crackers or stuffed into celery. Tenderloin of beef, sweet potato french fries and a garden salad all washed down with good Portsmouth, NH, Red Hook Ale.
As for my costume, at such an auspicious gathering I would be remiss not to wear the formal garb of Anu's devoted High Priestess.
Of course no party is complete without Champagne!
I will kick off my shoes about 10 p.m. and then, **watch out** !!
wow

#22691 03/14/01 04:33 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I just gotta say, you all are an awesome bunch!

The contributions to the Happy Birthday thread really have been great, and really underscore for me how special this place is. I've spent time on a few other fora on the web, even feeling a mild sense of addiction to them for a while. But none of them has lasted in my attention, as there's always so much squabbling and misunderstanding. AWADers seem to work hard to just be decent (or perhaps are just naturally so), in a time when that ain't always the case.

Cheers to us!

As to culinary contributions - I'll bring the paella I got addicted to in Spain (even if no one else in the house is willing to peel shrimp), and a box or eight of fresh chocolate truffles. I will then sit very close to Rhuby's home-brew (mmmmmm, truffles and porter, mmmmmm).

Hyla

#22692 03/14/01 05:28 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I just thought of something (and almost posted it to the Happy B-day thread! ). With that thread we may actually have a thread, where all or many of AWADtalk's regulars post, that actually starts on a topic, finishes on the same topic, and doesn't cover 62.4 other topics along the way.

Now I wonder: is this a good thing? [pondering-anarchic-posting-on-Birthday-thread-but-thinking-better-of-it emoticon]

Hyla

#22693 03/14/01 05:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
is this a good thing?

Hint: just watch how fast it drops down the list...

#22694 03/14/01 06:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bridget arrives late to find everyone stumbling drunk, then proceeds to sample the delicious fare, smiling in delight as she discovers a lone shrimp left over in the paella.

i've brought along a case of Moet, as well as Cointreau and Chambord, even lemon twists.... Kir Royales to all who are still able to raise a drink to their mouths

#22695 03/14/01 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to find everyone stumbling drunk

Not this lady, you won't. I have never been more than
buzzed in my life, and that only a couple of times. It
scares me. (One of the buzzes gives an all-too-well-remembered memory of seizing the microphone at a party
jam session, and well, the resultant sounds were--rather awful, to put it mildly!)

#22696 03/14/01 06:23 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Don't you worry BYB. You don't have to think diet today. I'm bringing the lyrics of all the songs we sing in a good 'ole French Canadian party, which, naturally, includes lots of energetic dancing (and some, o.k. well more than just some, drinking)

Since a French Canadian party is not one without hearty traditional fare I am bringing roasted wood grouse with mushroom stuffing and tourtière, a wonderful meat pie made from wild game. As dessert I am bringing gâteau chômeur, a rich, heavy white cake baked in a thick brown sugar and cream sauce, and some sugar pie. Hey, it's cold in Canada, we need all this heavy stuff to keep us going .

#22697 03/14/01 06:44 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hey, it's cold in Canada, we need all this heavy stuff to keep us going

'Allo, all my French Canadian pals. We need that "stuff" here in New England, too! And it sounds delish. May I sneak over to your table for tastes?
(As she nods to herself thinking "Yet something more to be grateful for from our friends to the north")
wow

#22698 03/14/01 09:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The way I remember it.... (fading out and in focus)

...As morning on the 15th breaks and I'm about to drop my Zild and Oz buddies on their doorsteps, they learn of my next destination (my SST is fueled and ready to show up at RhubarbCommando's for shots of Jameson) and they climb aboard. After a brief visit in Italy (where emanuela insists upon joining us (we were falling apart by then)) we arrive at Jo's just after dinner (RhubarbCommando has been there for hours) where we find ourselves singing Shakespere sonnets with five different accents (and in six different keys (Ives would be proud))! A quick touch down on the US eastern seaboard (to pick-up some AWAD Board (bored) ladies and a swoop across Mid-America (we had to get tsuwm, Jackie and the rest before bedtime) we finally arrive at LA International, where a host of limo's empty themselves into our fuselage. Our final destination (even though we are all dressed up like a Mardi-Gras crowd) is a place where everyone gets leid, and WOW, can that girl cook! Finally we...

(ps. my memory about that day is quite fuzzy (duh), so I'm sure y'all were there, except Anu (or maybe he was dressed up in the fuzzy dice))

#22699 03/14/01 09:29 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
so I'm sure y'all were there, except Anu (or maybe he was dressed up in the fuzzy dice)

Musick, you didn't take a really good look at the pilot?
wow

#22700 03/14/01 09:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...I started losing focus somewhere in Ohio...

#22701 03/15/01 08:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...I started losing focus somewhere in Ohio...

A former colleague of mine who was born and dragged up in Columbus felt that Ohio was doing that to him, too, so he came to NZ! I'm convinced, however, that it was more to do with the great parties he throws. He always seemed fuzzy to me, specially about 11 p.m. on a Saturday night.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#22702 03/15/01 10:19 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
it is possible to eat and drink well on a restricted diet; it just takes some figuring out

Well, naturally - dieting is only necessary if your figure is out

#22703 03/15/01 10:35 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Kir Royales to all who are still able to raise a drink to their mouths

It would take more than a few home brews and Jamesons to stop me from being able to drink Kir Royale!
Many thanks - and cheersh, Bridget!

#22704 03/15/01 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of the morning after:

I offer steaming cheese grits and sweet tea.

For the uninitiated, grits (yes, tsuwm, I'm YARTing in public) are cracked corn cooked in a little water. I usually add salt and some sharp cheddar to 'em. Sweet tea is tea that has had sugar added while still brewing, so it (the sugar) dissolves better. Served iced, of course (the tea).

#22705 03/15/01 06:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and speaking of the morning after...

bridget offers a bit o' hair off the dog....

Guinness, anyone??

[flexing her fingers in preparation for the pinchfest]

#22706 03/15/01 07:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A detail--grits (in US) are usually hominy grits-- dried corn (maize) the has been soaked in lye to desolve the hull of the kernal, (rinsed) and the cracked or coarsely ground. The lye solution not only remove the outer hull (and makes the grain more tender) it also tends to "cook" it-- what it does is change the starch -- so it will never "grind" up into a flour-- grits are very different than a corn meal mush.

I am really not fond of either-- but do like anadama bread-- corn meal mush and molasses made into bread.

#22707 03/15/01 07:16 PM
addict
addict
Bridget... no thanks!
I think I'll brave that stuff called "grits" , and I'm sure the sweet tea will be just what I need...

Boby, sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. For my gazpacho I got some wonderful ripe cybertomatoes, nothing to do with the pale pinky stuff that we get here in England as well. Fresh plum tomatoes are a good option, as they are often more flavourful than regular ones. Otherwise, I just make do with what we have, and pine for those beautiful red-and-green tomatoes I can get in Spain...

And about yesterday, thank you everyone... it was much fun!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Before passing out take a previously prepared dose of :
Two B-Complex tablets, one calcium tablet, two Milk of Magnesia tablets, two aspirin (or two Tylenol) with water and next morning ( or whatever time it is when you "come to") LOTS of water.
Takes you from to
This also works next morning but not as efficacious as if taken before sleep.
wow

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Or keep in mind the one to one ratio... one glass of water for ever drink you have. If you do this you will need no other medicine as the water keeps you hydrated (dehydration being the cause of the hangover).

This recipe has never failed me.

#22710 03/15/01 09:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Geez, Helen, you hadda go and spoil it with sordid details - next thing I know you'll be telling me the Yankees won the War of Northern Agression...
But I'm glad Marianna is willing to try. You go, girl! I love grits. And they are a Southern thing, not a New York thing.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maybe you have all heard it, but something to eat with fat will slow down rate at which alcohol enters intestine. It is not absorbed appreciably from the stomach.
And the drink of water in between drinks is a smart idea, if for no other reason than it will prevent overdose of alcohol.
Some of the saddest sacks I have ever seen were guys who were proud of being "tanks" who could outdrink everybody else, until their recent memory was gone. I remember one patient at McLean who had been a real bigshot in a very big company, but could not remember which room was his, until he got into one from which nobody threw him out.
Moderation in all things.

#22712 03/15/01 10:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... so after Anu drops y'all off (your last view of him looking like "snake eye's") and a quick flight across the 'specific'... I find myself sipping Guinness w/Bridget, recanting the night ..... "and then Helen, Betsy and Marianna were singing back-up "Pip's" to Jackie's "Gladys Night" .....

#22713 03/15/01 10:47 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I love grits. And they are a Southern thing, not a New York thing.

Even I thought that a Noo Yorker explaining grits was a bit like an Aussie giving a recipe for pavlova.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but something to eat with fat will slow down rate at which alcohol enters intestine

THANK YOU, Dr. Bill!!! i shall order some calamari tonight, and fret not about that second double lemon drop.

#22715 03/15/01 11:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, Max. Even I know that pavlova is a Zildian* concoction.

---
*Ænigma offers zillions -- how y'all propagate down there!

#22716 03/16/01 12:12 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I just wanted to mention that even one of the local TV stations here had a (perhaps coincidental) tribute to AWAD on Wednesday. The syndicated episode of "The Simpsons" on the 14th was one in which Homer orders a set of subliminal weight-loss tapes, only to get the Vocabulary Builder tapes instead. For a brief, shining moment Homer has a wonderful vocab:

LISA: Hey Dad, are those weight-loss tapes working?
HOMER: (Shovelling bacon into his mouth) Lamentably no. My gastronomic appetite knows no satiety.

Seems like an awfully suspicious coincidence to me...

Flatlander

#22717 03/16/01 11:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
..... "and then Helen, Betsy and Marianna were singing back-up "Pip's" to Jackie's "Gladys Night" .....

I'm always glad it's night, 'specially when I have sweet
musick...

Ooh, I heard it through the grapevine!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith