Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#22605 03/16/01 12:41 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, but which hand do you use to throttle the mouse? I use R, my left-handed daughter uses L...

#22606 03/16/01 01:43 PM
addict
addict
Paulb wonders how long the "writing" hand will determine whether a person is right- or left-handed?

The "mousing" hand, perhaps?

#22607 03/16/01 02:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Would a kind soul elucidate the right/left brain talents and the connection to right/left handedness.
Either here or by Private Message.
I read about it Ages Ago and my poor aged brain refuses to dredge up the particulars. Or, perhaps a url ?
Many thanks
wow

#22608 03/16/01 03:22 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The right-brain, left-brain theory is old enough to be seriously challenged. Sorry I can't give reference. I was always sceptical of the wild interpretations made of it.

#22609 03/16/01 05:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is known is that the right side of your brain controls the functions parts of the left side of your body, and the left side of your brain, controls the rights side of your body-- giving rise to the idea that lefties are the only people who are using (or in) their right mind!

#22610 03/16/01 11:14 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"In general, the left hemisphere is more important for language and certain motor skills. On the average, the right side of the brain does better with certain kinds of spatial functions such as mentally walking through a maze, understanding and working with maps, visualizing and remembering faces, and other performances that don't depend on verbal descriptions."

--The Brain, Richard Restak, MD

GO SPARTANS!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
For a bit of harmless fun, any who haven't seen it before are encouraged to download brain.exe from AWADabilia at idrive. It is a fun quiz that attempts to categorise responses to certain questions as right or left brain, visual or auditory. Spontaneous answers have a reasonable chance of delivering a not too wildly inaccurate assessment. The first time I tried it, I was staggered by the validity of its conclusions, but have not managed the same accuracy since, so it was probably beginner's luck. It is, of course, totally unscientific, but still a lot of fun, with the potential to be thought-provoking. If enough people try it, we may even be able to post results, either the eerily accurate, or the laughably wrong.

username: maxquordlepleen

Password: Crescent

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Max, how cool! It said something that surprised me:
that I "have a strong preference for auditory processing".
I would have said I am a visually-oriented person. My
"learning style is very much language-based and logical".
My left brain is slightly dominant, with 54.5%. Yep--pretty much right down the middle--again.

Note: it is important, in these types of tests, to mark what your first, instinctive answer is--if you think about it too much, you can skew the results.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I do not know whether or nay this matter under discussion has been treated evenhandedly, but when once it is resolved perhaps we could celebrate. There is this watering hole down the way a bit called the Bar Sinister where SOME of us could gather. Several Queries come to mind: Does this establishment cater to "lefties" or to threatening evildoers or both. Or, (dare I say) "on the other hand" does it "bar" Lefties. And then of course there is the question more intime', concerning whether one was born on the "right" side of that Fate-determining Blanket or (alas!)on the "other" side. I cannot answer these Qs because, though I am curious(blue) I have never patronised that place, preferring instead its across-the-street neighbor the "Bar None" which, open-mindedly, democratically offers a welcome hand (dexter or sinister) to all, including nuns. When the rant ends and we celebrate, once again, as friends, I shall be pleased to go to a deli to get the Right Stuff for the party. Meantime, for the record, (wasn't someone keeping score?) Scribbler is a "rightie" "Dieu et mon Droit" he notes adroitly, but confesses that he is really ambi-sensuous or whatchacallit.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Note: it is important, in these types of tests, to mark what your first, instinctive answer is--if you think about it too much, you can skew the results.

Absolutely. Since so few have yet taken up this particular gauntlet, I have made the game easier to find. Clicking on this link, http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/maxq/brain.exe will take one straight to a download page.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith