#74072 06/24/02 06:25 AM
G
Godot Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Hi there,

Two buddies growing up in Raymond Carver's short story "Tell the Women We're Going" spend summers "swamping peaches, picking cherries, stringing hops". Anyone out there who knows what "swamping peaches" means?

Cheers

Godot

#74073 06/24/02 01:04 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Godot: I have read that about the time peaches are ripening, a pool of water around
the base of the trees is kept filled, to achieve maximum juiciness of the fruit.
I have never seen the term "swamping" applied to it, but it seems that it fits.

#74074 06/24/02 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello Godot, and "welcome!" to our little wordland! ...I've been waiting for you. Or...have you been waiting for yourself?! Sorry...couldn't resist...Beckett's work is one of my favorites!

Act I - Scene 1

Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again.
As before.
Enter Vladimir.

ESTRAGON:
(giving up again). Nothing to be done.
VLADIMIR:
(advancing with short, stiff strides, legs wide apart). I'm beginning to come round to that opinion. All my life I've tried to put it from me, saying Vladimir, be reasonable, you haven't yet tried everything. And I resumed the struggle. (He broods, musing on the struggle. Turning to Estragon.) So there you are again.
ESTRAGON:
Am I?
VLADIMIR:
I'm glad to see you back. I thought you were gone forever.
ESTRAGON:
Me too.
VLADIMIR:
Together again at last! We'll have to celebrate this. But how? (He reflects.) Get up till I embrace you.

Speaking of swamping peaches...I can't find anything specific on any phrase site or in any dictionary. I think Dr. Bill's explanation is probably on target, but here's a look at swamp and as both a verb and noun to, perhaps, help deduce the context here:

(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)

swamp (COVER)
verb [T]
to cover (a place or thing) with a large amount of water
High tides have swamped the coast.
The boat was swamped by an enormous wave.

If something swamps a person or thing, it comes to them in a larger amount than they can easily deal with.
Foreign cars have swamped the UK market.
I'm swamped with work (=have more work than I can easily deal with) at the moment.
On her 100th birthday she was swamped with (=received a lot of) cards and messages of congratulations.

To swamp someone or something also means to cause them no longer to be able to operate.
In many parts of the world, the rate of population growth already swamps the ability of society to cope.
FIGURATIVE I bought a new dress for my daughter, but it absolutely swamped her (=was much too big for her).

The only other possibilities I can surmise is that they were picking an overabundance of peaches; or, perhaps, they might immerse peaches in a tub of cool water to keep them fresh as they're picking them on a hot day...merely conjecture, though.

T
stranger
stranger
T
An old thread, but sorry, none of you are even close.
The Swamper is a worker (usually a teen) who drives the tractor through the orchard and collects the fruit from the pickers. He (sorry, usually broad shoulders required) tallies the number of buckets or totes that each picker has picked and dumps them into the bins, which will be loaded onto trucks and transported to the packing house.
I have swamped many, many tons of fruit in my day.

For example, this boy is swamping cherries: [img]http://static.squarespace.com/static/515...68/?format=750w[/img]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the research, and WELCOME.

----please, draw me a sheep----

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith