Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#21512 03/08/01 03:42 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I have a problem. I did not know if I should write a personal message or if I should bring it in the open. As uncomfortable as this is, I want to say this in the open because it concerns the Board.

I am extremely uncomfortable with several posts written up by one of our new members. It is evident that this person absolutely hates an entire race of people and, in her mind, I am sure she feels totally justified.

I am not saying she is wrong, nor am I saying she is right. I simply feel that this Board is not the place to be voicing these thoughts or to vent so much hatred.

#21513 03/08/01 04:08 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I simply feel that this Board is not the place to be voicing these thoughts or to vent so much hatred.

I agree. I think that one of the reasons that this Board thrives with so many divergent personalities is that we have, by and large, decided to keep our pet hates to ourselves, unless they are word-related. I hope that everybody will see the advantages of continuing such a practice.

May all your pathways be pleasantness and peace.

#21514 03/08/01 04:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree. I think our posting friend is whole-heart sincere.
It does appear that her feelings are ardent, and this is a very difficult thing to reconcile with "remembering the niceties". The only persuasion efforts here have been towards certain words, books, authors, and the like, and I do hope it can stay that way. I did note an apology for getting carried away, and a suggestion to continue private.

#21515 03/08/01 04:38 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I simply feel that this Board is not the place to be voicing these thoughts or to vent so much hatred.

I also agree. I haven't been here long, but I have been very impressed by what has been created here. AWAD is unlike any other internet board I've come across. This is a place for words, and games and bad puns. I want to see that continue.

Ali

#21516 03/08/01 11:16 AM
old hand
old hand
Yo bel

If I'm involved in this in any way* then I can assure you that any discussion is now off-line. I too respect the board and apologise for any tail-tweaking I may have done that ruined the karmic harmony.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

*I know you're actually talking about my discussion with Jackie regarding 'swearing', and how she thinks anybody who says coitus, spelled with an f, is of a different race that she abhors

#21517 03/08/01 11:35 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Now Shanks you sweet nucklehead, I've known you long enough now that I would certainly have sent you a note if I was troubled by anything you would have said (and teased you mercilessly on Board since I know you would have teased me right back - with no hurt feelings at all).

#21518 03/08/01 12:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
*I know you're actually talking about my discussion with Jackie regarding 'swearing', and how she thinks anybody who says coitus, spelled with an f, is of a different race that she abhors"

There ain't no such word as foitus (is there??).
C'mere a minute, wit' yo' sunshiny ol' self, and have some
more Dixie raspberries. Cuck you.
(Well, f- I mean shucks, reckon I'm back in the gutter.
I need more sleep...)

#21519 03/08/01 12:49 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> ..(we've) decided to keep our pet hates to ourselves, unless they are word-related

The 'pets hates' people have, which are word related frequently reflect social/cultural/national 'hates' too. It's one of those 'easier said than done' cases. Silly proper nouns mean a lot to some people, especially those who feel their personal or cultural identity is challenged. What I mean is (as previously discussed here), culture and language are inseparably intertwined, and therefore it's hard to be neutral even when speaking about some petty words if they have even some vague cultural relevance.

'Even in trifling matters the depths of one's heart can be seen'
Hagakure, Yamamoto Tsunetomo

#21520 03/08/01 01:17 PM
old hand
old hand
Ahhh

[hugs and kisses emoticon squared]

My point, however, was that, I may have goaded someone into ranting. I'm quite good at that you know - the ol' needle sort o' thing. Ah well. Just as long as you love me...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#21521 03/08/01 01:19 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I agree with what BelMarduk and others have said, but I would like to add that I hope the person concerned will not be put off from continuing her association with the Board.

Bingley

Bingley
#21522 03/08/01 01:28 PM
old hand
old hand
In favour of Bingley's motion.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ahhh, my dear friends, I am sure that whoever the person is who has caused discomfort did not do it on purpose or to convert anyone ... I think that "Strangers" and "Newbies" who want, seriously, to join us have the need to establish a personality so we can get to know them.
I have found, in perusing the Posts, that simply not commenting on a Post causes the Poster(s) to re-think the way they are posting.
It has happened to me a couple of times following a post that held no interest to the Board and I have ceased and the thread has changed. I have taken no offense, rather have just plodded along cheerfully.
Some successes, some failures.
That's life on the Board!

wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The most fun for the most people,involving words. That should be our motto.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
That should be our motto

we don' need no stinkin' motto - we will NEVER agree on just one

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
So what are you saying, we're ayleurs [running and hiding from Jackie emoticon]

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
So what are you saying, we're ayleurs [running and hiding from Jackie emoticon]

Bring it on! If we're going to scrap, let's scrap about important stuff, like the stubborn refusal of some heretics to embrace the designation AYLEUR!!

Loki Quordlepleen

#21528 03/08/01 10:39 PM
In reply to:

I am extremely uncomfortable with several posts written up by one of our new members. It is evident that this person absolutely hates an entire race of people and, in her mind, I am sure she feels totally justified.

Bel - I'm sorry that you felt it important to post your feelings out in the open - if you had asked me privately, I would have happily told you that in fact, I don't hate anyone - and if you gathered that from any of my postings, then I'm afraid you read your own bias into what I wrote. I would like to know exactly what it was that I said that gave you this impression which is simply not true. And for the record, Jews & Arabs are of the same 'race'...

The truth is, I have friends of all races, colors, creeds, national origins, religions, etc. etc. etc. until lots of my friends just don't know exactly what I believe or how I Iive... I have religious books and materials from several streams of thought; I read many many concepts and ideas; I listen to ALL types of music and have a variety of artwork on my walls. That I am Jewish and live in such a way as to 'blend into' my neighborhood is what I chose to do as a result of deciding to live here. But anyone coming into my home does not necessarily know that about me!

What I am determined about is knowing the TRUTH - not the truth as I see it, but the TRUTH of historical fact. Thus, I read what many people on all sides of a controversy have to say and then make up my own mind. Could be a new concept for some people, but I don't just automatically believe what someone says just because he or she happens to be in a position of 'authority' - I certainly don't trust news anchors as most have never seen up close and personal or for any length of time whatever situation it is they are reporting! Take John Chancellor (formerly of NBC News in the States) - back in 1982, he reported all sorts of things regarding the Peace for Galilee Operation launched by Israel into southern Lebanon. As I was living here then and know 'intimately' (don't ask me why) the details of the result of that operation vis-a-vis the people of southern Lebanon, I knew when I heard about his reporting that it was all lies. Eventually, he actually came here, went to see what was going on in southern Lebanon, and when he went back to the States, on national TV, he actually apologized for getting it all wrong before and then proceeded to tell the TRUTH! What a concept!

That's all I'm after - and since I live here and have studied deeply all aspects of this area... I think I have a pretty good handle on the TRUTH of things. Now, your opinion and mine might not match, but then, I'll bet they don't match on issues related to Quebec either... but you live there and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt every time over what I think.

How's that?

Now - after clearning that air - maybe we can actually have a reasonable discussion about things related to words - even if it means bringing other ideas into the board - if I'm discussing, for instance, linguistic differences between Hebrew speakers and Arabic speakers, it has nothing whatsoever to do with how I feel about Israelis or Arabs... get it?!

Shoshannah

BTW - what I would really like to see is less junk on the boards and more legitimate discussion. If this is really NOT a chat room - let's leave out the little inuendo stuff and gross comments (headless chickens, offal and such) and stick to more intelligent banter?!

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#21529 03/09/01 04:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For what it's worth--belMarduk is a deeply caring, loving
person, and I would bet money that she would not deliberately harm anyone. Shoshannah is obviously also a person who cares deeply--deeply enough to take the trouble to dig for the truth, and to live it. I think the caring of these two lovely people is expressed in different ways, and that has perhaps led to an all-around mis-interpretation.

I think the very best thing about this board is how much
we care for one another, look out for each other, uphold, and encourage one another. Even the relatively recent members have come to feel like part of the family (to me). Even with the high emotions apparent in this thread, there has been courtesy, consideration, and respect, all through. And that speaks to the kind of people the post-ers are. I feel confident that this storm will be weathered admirably, and that the high level of tolerance exhibited in the past will continue to be held up as a shining mirror for all of us to see ourselves in.
I admire and treasure you.

#21530 03/09/01 05:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My dear jackie~

If your mothering style is anything approaching the admirable qualities you display in this forum, your children are not only uniquely lucky, but *i'd* bet money that they are phenomenally well-adjusted, charismatic and intelligent individuals, raised in your likeness.

old hand
old hand
Agreed

But not unanimously

Ate (how do you like them apples) warrior

#21532 03/09/01 11:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... If your mothering style is anything approaching the admirable qualities you display in this forum, your children are not only uniquely lucky, but *i'd* bet money that they are phenomenally well-adjusted, charismatic and intelligent individuals, raised in your likeness. .

Hear, hear! The only doubt lingering in my mind is -- living in Kentucky, are they also phonemically well-adjusted? [duck-and-run]

#21533 03/09/01 01:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, thank you, Bridget96 and Anna! Of course I think my
children are fantastic! We hear it all the time from people at church, too. They're as biased as my husband and I are, though!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Agreed... But not unanimously

there you go again! (what is it, in this particularly variegated thread, that you agree with?)
-ron reagan

...I'm betting it's [brown]aleyurs[/brown] (never will remember the expansion, thus how it's spelled)
-ron obvious

#21535 03/09/01 03:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Of course I think my
children are fantastic! We hear it all the time from people at church, too. They're as biased as my husband and I are, though!

well, of course the people at church are as biased as you are; that's why people group together...
-ron obvious

#21536 03/09/01 04:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What is the brand name of the unction that conveys salving grace?

#21537 03/09/01 04:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What is the brand name of the unction that conveys salving grace?

extreme?
-ron obvious

#21538 03/09/01 04:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, Jackie, I have no idea how you dress-- but i love your style! You manage not only to express good ideas, but you have also mastered "tone".. I know i sometimes "sound" strident-- when I am not really-- I don't know how you do it-- (but i do study your posts)--

Somehow, your voice can be heard in your posts-- and we can all tell when you are being playful, and when you are being stern (hardly ever!) and your rebrukes, are so soft and gentle, we end up-- rueing our words, with out ever feeling we have been "yelled" at--

Does it come naturaly? Or do you really work at it? I know i have to work at being cheerful, and outgoing-- that my natural tendency is to be dour, and crabby-- and while i have learned to do it orally-- some of the crabbiness leaks out into my posts..and sometime its evident how much of a snob i am (every one is equal, only I am slightly better than everyone, didn't you know?)

can you give us any "tricks of trades" to make it easier for us to achive "tone"?

#21539 03/09/01 04:32 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
"tricks of trades"

What needst thou this, o Troy, when'st "have learned to do it orally" already?

#21540 03/09/01 04:33 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: George Orwell "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others."

#21541 03/09/01 05:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

What is the brand name of the unction that conveys salving grace?

"Love"--I felt that it fit the intent of both words nicely.

Helen, I...hardly know what to say. Thank you, at least.
As to "translating" (transmitting, I think) my tone of voice, I guess I've just assimilated techniques I've seen.
Re: relating to people, part of it comes naturally--I hate conflict, and have always tended to want to mediate/mitigate
high-stress situations. The other part is indeed learned,
and honed, of course. I was amazed, after I became a Social Work major, to find out that there are actually ways
of learning how to talk to people.

Now maverick, dag nab it--today you have shown me so much sweetness that I can't fuss at you for that 'mouthy' pun!

#21542 03/09/01 05:51 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
AnnaS asked are they also phonemically well-adjusted?

Indeed they are.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
max whinges effusively, ...the stubborn refusal of some heretics to embrace the designation AYLEUR!!

I am not usually a proponent of anagrams, but I got the idea of running aleyur through Anu's anagram server in hopes that it would turn up something, some everyday (or even, for y'all, some not so quotidian) word that could be re-acronymized and, just maybe, win more recognition and approval.

and my results were absolutely... nada.

the meaning of all this is left as an exercise for the student....
-tsuwm

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
AYLEUR .. through Anu's anagram server .. results were absolutely... nada. .. (This) left as an exercise for the student

Ahhh, me too, tsuwm (I also?)
Trying to find original appearance I went through search and that dang "threaded mode" had me so bumfoozled that I finally gave up and asked The Lady From Kentucky who graciously answered.
For Newbies equally baffled : AYLEUR Anything You Like Except Unanimous with an "r" added by someone to make it look like a real word.
{Sigh}
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>to make it look like a real word

ah, but that's just my problem. aleyur *doesn't look like a real word, and I *can't remember the expansion. now YART... and WWFTD... there's some *real words.

#21546 03/10/01 05:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
now YART... and WWFTD... there's some *real words.

Chacun a son .... oh, no! I promised to give up using other languages unless the book is in front of me.
So, in English : Every man to his own poison. (Some say meat but I like poison better.)
OTOH if we didn't have our pet peeves to nurse on cold dreary days there'd be no excuse for chocolate.
Have a happy hot fudge kind of day, tsuwm, you delectable words wrangler you!
wow

#21547 03/10/01 05:32 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And the phrase "chacun a son gout" means everbody has gout.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
max whinges effusively, ...the stubborn refusal of some heretics to embrace the designation AYLEUR!!

Aah, but a glance at the signature appended to that post would have shown that Max was stirring vigorously, not whinging effusively.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>...Max was stirring vigorously, not whinging effusively.

and your point is...?

old hand
old hand
AYLEUR Anything You Like Except Unanimous with an "r" added by someone to make it look like a real word.

...added by 'someone' ???? [outraged emoticon]

I'll have you know (best Demosthemes voice, pebbles spewing out of mouth, getting blown back by strong sea wind and giving ol' Demo black eyes) that I am no mere 'someone', I am I vibration, ye-ah, positive!

I said the the sunshine warrior, with my dodgy worrier, I terminated the AYLEU.

cheer

with best wishes to you and your family and may it thrive for a hundred hundred generations and may you live to see two hundred grandchildren and may they all be sons who will bring fame (not to mention huge dowries) to your family.

Mathilakath veedithe karutha Ravishankaran

#21551 03/12/01 02:45 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I terminated the AYLEU

Oh, if only, Shanks, if only! But the ailing creature still clings to life, like some half-squashed slug that won't wipe off your boot...

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
AYLEUR Anything You Like Except Unanimous with an "r" added by someone to make it look like a real word. ..added by 'someone' ???? [outraged emoticon] I'll have you know I am no mere 'someone', I said the the sunshine warrior, terminated the AYLEU.
---------------------------------------------------------
Oh, Shanks, a thousand pardons asked. I was not around the board at the time and I cannot decipher the #@* flat mode. I should have said "Someone Special" and that would inevitably have led me to Shanks.
{Throwing ashes over her head the High Priestess dons sackcloth and awaits mercy from Special Shanks)
wow

old hand
old hand
Throwing ashes over her head the High Priestess dons sackcloth and awaits mercy from Special Shanks

There, there... you are forgiven. You can once again be an Ayleur [grin]

special, 70% fat-free, shanks

#21554 03/12/01 07:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And I thought it was added as an agentive suffix.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
70% fat-free, shanks

Reminds me of the gentleman who offered me a liquid which he guaranteed to be 53% alcohol free.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: At least such a dilution would not ignite readily. (definition of 100 proof - gunpowder wet with it will just barely ignite.)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Throwing ashes over her head the High Priestess dons sackcloth and awaits mercy from Special Shanks

There, there... you are forgiven. You can once again be an Ayleur

Hmm, now I know why shanks is an atheist. He's trying to maintain his monopoly! [cowering-from-expected-liberal-humanist-thunderbolt-emoticon)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
liberal-humanist-thunderbolt

Wow! We get to do those? Saint Tesla protect us!

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Speaking of that high preistess thing, I wouldn't even want to be high preistess. Mainly because I'm male!

-Scott rough_collie@dog.com

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Wow! We get to do those? Saint Tesla protect us!

re-coiling....

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Wow! We get to do those?

Oh, sure. But they only affect people who believe in them

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
male

Well, we all have our little problems

#21563 03/14/01 09:21 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I need your input

male

Well, we all have our little problems

What input did you have in mind?

#21564 03/14/01 09:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just to take this thread as far off as it can go-- a little input into the mind, by a male--
wwh you weren't a neurosurgeon, where you? you're not thinking about trepanation?

in which case, maybe i should [cross that out--i don't want anything to do with trepanation] maybe this thread should move down to "untested alternative medicines". I have heard home trepanations have become a new trend in alternative medicine.

#21565 03/14/01 09:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
..and to take it even further off course, i got these (among others, which were less funny) in my email inbox today (and please, no suggestions that i should choose my correspondants more carefully):

Q. Why do doctors slap babies' butts right after they're born?
A. To knock the penises off the smart ones.

and:

Q. Why do men name their penises?
A. Because they don't like the idea of having a stranger make 90% of their decisions.

these, of course, do not apply to the men of this hallowed forum

oh, and BTW, this is NOT an invitation to begin a thread in the vein of 'pet names'

#21566 03/14/01 10:30 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It's a cruel world. If you don't cry the minute you are born, your butt gets whacked till you do.
But it doesn't have to be hard enough to change gender.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
wow>I have found, in perusing the Posts, that simply not commenting on a Post causes the Poster(s) to re-think the way they are posting.
It has happened to me a couple of times following a post that held no interest to the Board and I have ceased and the thread has changed. I have taken no offense, rather have just plodded along cheerfully.
Some successes, some failures.
That's life on the Board!

This, I think is the most proper response to the problem at hand. As you said it will make people re-think their postings if they are inclined to. Harsher punishments like "public flogging" may just alienate some people and will stop the debate and consequently stop the process of enlightenment.

chronist

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
OTOH, I frequently scream with laughter, or silently agree with an opinion, without necessarily posting or PMing in reply. Silence, in other words, can't always be taken as withering condemnation!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Silence ... can't always be taken as withering condemnation!

Oh, Maverick, Are you sure you want to encourage me?
wow

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
encourage me

It's worth the risk...

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ignoring somebody is the ultimate insult. There are many posts that may call for special knowledge few of us may have, but I suspect that most of us would rather have a scolding than just be ignored.

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
OTOH, I frequently scream with laughter, or silently agree with an opinion, without necessarily posting or PMing in reply. Silence, in other words, can't always be taken as withering condemnation!

I agree with maverick on this one. Sometimes a post will be quite funny, profound or interesting but no response will be made since none is needed. The particular avenue might also just have petered out. Plus if we all start posting just to say, "that was interesting, or smart, or funny" the threads would become way too unwieldy.

As to ignoring someone when in disagreement, well, this is the written word, how can a person tell whether you are voicing silent disagreement or silent approval. When a person is convinced he is right, he will believe everyone agrees with him because nobody spoke up.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response.

I trust this clarifies my stance.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response"

Dear Sparteye: But how do we know which is which? None of us would want this to be either a mutual admiration society, nor a rant and rave newsgroup. I would hope that you would be on the alert to offer support when needed,
or correction when needed. You make me feel guilty about some of my lousy wisecracks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response.

I trust this clarifies my stance.

Oh, sparteye, i haven't laughed that hard in days.... not even today when Geoff coined the word "gonadocentric", which also had me falling off of my chair.

B
B
I'm usually so far behind in reading that any comment I would have made either positive or negative has been said by the someone else.

CJ

CJ
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear BeingCJ: So how about thinking up some new threads, that's what we need most. And if they flop, so what? Try,try again.Most of the oldtimers have already used up their best ideas, and would be glad to see some of yours.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most of the oldtimers have already used up their best ideas

'Scuse me? Tsuwm has not even scratched the surface of his mighty mental storehouse, and frankly that's not exactly complimentary to the rest of us. Though I agree wholeheartedly with the remainder of your sentence.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jackie: do you mean to tell me that you and tsuwm having been depriving us of your best ideas? If so, please dip into the treasury for the best jewels.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Sparteye
In reply to:

Everyone has noted my profound agreement ..... clarifies my stance.

Spartye, sitting like Justitia on a monument, has patiently pondered, in pulchra gremu magistratus, this tangled thread and then riposte-ed with wit and truth, cleverly expressed. Spot on,Portia, if I may,( in both the MOV and the Rumpolean senses) so address you. Much more than your stance was clarified with your words. Bravo! Scribbler concurs and APPLAUDS.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Some of you may have noted my comparative silence lately. Or not.

Using Sparteye's reasoning, this is because I both completely agree with everything everyone has said, including what I've written, while at the same time totally disapproving of whatever is written by anyone at all, again including myself.

Well, no, actually it's because 100 posts in Information & Announcements, 103 in Miscellany and 297 in Q&A about Words in three days is just too much to read and digest, never mind write either considered or unconsidered replies to!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#21582 03/17/01 01:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The thing is ... what I meant was ... that is to say ...
Ahem ....
Seems that when someone posts and posts the same or similar over and over then silence ... in effect ignoring them is the "hint" best used.
Silence in other instances may mean any of the variations discussed here.
Clearer?
Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Jackie: do you mean to tell me that you and tsuwm having been depriving us of your best ideas? If so, please dip into the treasury for the best jewels.

'Scuse me again--more than likely, Tsuwm has jewels.
I do not. And I rather imagine he would prefer to keep his.

Signed,

GQ (hi, belM.)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Unquestionably, tsuwm has jewels that he would not care to put in a treasury. But I would expect that his treasury of ideas might be somewhat depleted, while his store of erudition has increased.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Unquestionably, tsuwm has jewels that he would not care to put in a treasury.

The one treaure in tsuwm's possession that would ever induce larcenous thoughts in my saintly cerebellum is that which, appropriately enough, is contained in a "jewel case."

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If justice were done, tsuwm would need a large bank safety deposit box, not a mere jewel case.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
If justice were done, tsuwm would need a large bank safety deposit box, not a mere jewel case.

Undoubtedly. However, "jewel case" is the name given to the plastic cases CDs are stored in, for example, OED CDs

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: In my estimation, calling the plastic containers for CD's that so infuriatingly refuse to open "jewel cases" is a detestable misnomer.

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bien non Bill. They refuse to give up their treasure is all. Jewel case is thus perfectly legitimate.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
When I can use only one hand, I want a case that will obey the command "Open, says-a-me!"

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith