Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
OTOH, I frequently scream with laughter, or silently agree with an opinion, without necessarily posting or PMing in reply. Silence, in other words, can't always be taken as withering condemnation!

I agree with maverick on this one. Sometimes a post will be quite funny, profound or interesting but no response will be made since none is needed. The particular avenue might also just have petered out. Plus if we all start posting just to say, "that was interesting, or smart, or funny" the threads would become way too unwieldy.

As to ignoring someone when in disagreement, well, this is the written word, how can a person tell whether you are voicing silent disagreement or silent approval. When a person is convinced he is right, he will believe everyone agrees with him because nobody spoke up.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response.

I trust this clarifies my stance.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response"

Dear Sparteye: But how do we know which is which? None of us would want this to be either a mutual admiration society, nor a rant and rave newsgroup. I would hope that you would be on the alert to offer support when needed,
or correction when needed. You make me feel guilty about some of my lousy wisecracks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am sure that everyone has noted my profound agreement with many the various posts on this thread, all conveyed by the fact that I had not posted a single response. And, I have voiced my strong objection to other posts by not posting a response.

I trust this clarifies my stance.

Oh, sparteye, i haven't laughed that hard in days.... not even today when Geoff coined the word "gonadocentric", which also had me falling off of my chair.

B
B
I'm usually so far behind in reading that any comment I would have made either positive or negative has been said by the someone else.

CJ

CJ
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear BeingCJ: So how about thinking up some new threads, that's what we need most. And if they flop, so what? Try,try again.Most of the oldtimers have already used up their best ideas, and would be glad to see some of yours.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most of the oldtimers have already used up their best ideas

'Scuse me? Tsuwm has not even scratched the surface of his mighty mental storehouse, and frankly that's not exactly complimentary to the rest of us. Though I agree wholeheartedly with the remainder of your sentence.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jackie: do you mean to tell me that you and tsuwm having been depriving us of your best ideas? If so, please dip into the treasury for the best jewels.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Sparteye
In reply to:

Everyone has noted my profound agreement ..... clarifies my stance.

Spartye, sitting like Justitia on a monument, has patiently pondered, in pulchra gremu magistratus, this tangled thread and then riposte-ed with wit and truth, cleverly expressed. Spot on,Portia, if I may,( in both the MOV and the Rumpolean senses) so address you. Much more than your stance was clarified with your words. Bravo! Scribbler concurs and APPLAUDS.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Some of you may have noted my comparative silence lately. Or not.

Using Sparteye's reasoning, this is because I both completely agree with everything everyone has said, including what I've written, while at the same time totally disapproving of whatever is written by anyone at all, again including myself.

Well, no, actually it's because 100 posts in Information & Announcements, 103 in Miscellany and 297 in Q&A about Words in three days is just too much to read and digest, never mind write either considered or unconsidered replies to!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 475 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith