old hand
old hand
In favour of Bingley's motion.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ahhh, my dear friends, I am sure that whoever the person is who has caused discomfort did not do it on purpose or to convert anyone ... I think that "Strangers" and "Newbies" who want, seriously, to join us have the need to establish a personality so we can get to know them.
I have found, in perusing the Posts, that simply not commenting on a Post causes the Poster(s) to re-think the way they are posting.
It has happened to me a couple of times following a post that held no interest to the Board and I have ceased and the thread has changed. I have taken no offense, rather have just plodded along cheerfully.
Some successes, some failures.
That's life on the Board!

wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The most fun for the most people,involving words. That should be our motto.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
That should be our motto

we don' need no stinkin' motto - we will NEVER agree on just one

B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
So what are you saying, we're ayleurs [running and hiding from Jackie emoticon]

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
So what are you saying, we're ayleurs [running and hiding from Jackie emoticon]

Bring it on! If we're going to scrap, let's scrap about important stuff, like the stubborn refusal of some heretics to embrace the designation AYLEUR!!

Loki Quordlepleen

#21528 03/08/01 10:39 PM
In reply to:

I am extremely uncomfortable with several posts written up by one of our new members. It is evident that this person absolutely hates an entire race of people and, in her mind, I am sure she feels totally justified.

Bel - I'm sorry that you felt it important to post your feelings out in the open - if you had asked me privately, I would have happily told you that in fact, I don't hate anyone - and if you gathered that from any of my postings, then I'm afraid you read your own bias into what I wrote. I would like to know exactly what it was that I said that gave you this impression which is simply not true. And for the record, Jews & Arabs are of the same 'race'...

The truth is, I have friends of all races, colors, creeds, national origins, religions, etc. etc. etc. until lots of my friends just don't know exactly what I believe or how I Iive... I have religious books and materials from several streams of thought; I read many many concepts and ideas; I listen to ALL types of music and have a variety of artwork on my walls. That I am Jewish and live in such a way as to 'blend into' my neighborhood is what I chose to do as a result of deciding to live here. But anyone coming into my home does not necessarily know that about me!

What I am determined about is knowing the TRUTH - not the truth as I see it, but the TRUTH of historical fact. Thus, I read what many people on all sides of a controversy have to say and then make up my own mind. Could be a new concept for some people, but I don't just automatically believe what someone says just because he or she happens to be in a position of 'authority' - I certainly don't trust news anchors as most have never seen up close and personal or for any length of time whatever situation it is they are reporting! Take John Chancellor (formerly of NBC News in the States) - back in 1982, he reported all sorts of things regarding the Peace for Galilee Operation launched by Israel into southern Lebanon. As I was living here then and know 'intimately' (don't ask me why) the details of the result of that operation vis-a-vis the people of southern Lebanon, I knew when I heard about his reporting that it was all lies. Eventually, he actually came here, went to see what was going on in southern Lebanon, and when he went back to the States, on national TV, he actually apologized for getting it all wrong before and then proceeded to tell the TRUTH! What a concept!

That's all I'm after - and since I live here and have studied deeply all aspects of this area... I think I have a pretty good handle on the TRUTH of things. Now, your opinion and mine might not match, but then, I'll bet they don't match on issues related to Quebec either... but you live there and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt every time over what I think.

How's that?

Now - after clearning that air - maybe we can actually have a reasonable discussion about things related to words - even if it means bringing other ideas into the board - if I'm discussing, for instance, linguistic differences between Hebrew speakers and Arabic speakers, it has nothing whatsoever to do with how I feel about Israelis or Arabs... get it?!

Shoshannah

BTW - what I would really like to see is less junk on the boards and more legitimate discussion. If this is really NOT a chat room - let's leave out the little inuendo stuff and gross comments (headless chickens, offal and such) and stick to more intelligent banter?!

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#21529 03/09/01 04:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For what it's worth--belMarduk is a deeply caring, loving
person, and I would bet money that she would not deliberately harm anyone. Shoshannah is obviously also a person who cares deeply--deeply enough to take the trouble to dig for the truth, and to live it. I think the caring of these two lovely people is expressed in different ways, and that has perhaps led to an all-around mis-interpretation.

I think the very best thing about this board is how much
we care for one another, look out for each other, uphold, and encourage one another. Even the relatively recent members have come to feel like part of the family (to me). Even with the high emotions apparent in this thread, there has been courtesy, consideration, and respect, all through. And that speaks to the kind of people the post-ers are. I feel confident that this storm will be weathered admirably, and that the high level of tolerance exhibited in the past will continue to be held up as a shining mirror for all of us to see ourselves in.
I admire and treasure you.

#21530 03/09/01 05:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My dear jackie~

If your mothering style is anything approaching the admirable qualities you display in this forum, your children are not only uniquely lucky, but *i'd* bet money that they are phenomenally well-adjusted, charismatic and intelligent individuals, raised in your likeness.

old hand
old hand
Agreed

But not unanimously

Ate (how do you like them apples) warrior

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith