About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: wsieber
I think you folks are just going to have to agree to disagree, and move on..
Sad as it is, you may have a point. There has been little evolution in the dispute.
Which underlines the dull fact that evolution and getting somewhere is not the same thing.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course, the real question is "Why is evolution so hard to understand?"

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Of course, the real question is "Why is evolution so hard to understand?"

Evolution is hard to understand because the tyranny of words is such that the more exacting words we use become in their differentiation even more restricting when we attempt to integrate them into the orderings of an objective reality.

Why do you ask?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aha. I thought so. A basic misunderstanding of the nature of Reality (an almost foregone conclusion, given our imperfect perception of it and our replacement of it by that crude approximation we call reality) leads us to misinterpret all around us. For example, in Reality there is no such thing as species. It is as though we had taken a two dimensional slice of a tree and decided that all the separate and apparently discrete things we call twigs and branches were independent entities. Thank you, jenny jenny, for opening my eyes.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
laugh
Ahso, Faldo, It is strange that you have known these fine things for so long and have not yet become a better person. But no matter, today is the first day of your life. Come, let us reconstruct the world together.

3,500,000,000 BC:
Self-replicating lieforms first appear on Earth. Mindless, dumb things (cynobacteria) they non-the-less were able to build reef-like structures to keep the oceanic tides from washing themselves out to sea. Unmolested for three billion years they built the oxygenated atmosphere which we so much enjoy today.

[Thanks for not waiting, I'm back.]

550,000,000 BC: O'happy day!

After some three billion years of off-and-on frozen seas, mobile, sexual, and happy pre-vertebrate animals, sat, swam, and crawled about in the warm waters. And then...

380,000,000 BC: the animals followed the plants onto the dry lands and crawled about. But not fast enough. Plants and pre-trees flourshed in the heat and high CO2 atmosphere. But when they died there were too few bugs to eat them. The stupid trees could then not return their carbon to the atmosphere. Their remains instead were buried as coal, or, as we like to say today, sequestered as carbon. Atmospheric CO2 levels dropped sharply as the Earth cooled initiating an early cycle of Ice ages.
To this let all of us give thanks,(), all we free-thinking people.

28,000,000 BC: continued on a page below

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The ones that couldn't keep the ocean tides from washing them out to sea didn't have any kids. I'd check on some of the details in your little tale.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Faldage
The ones that couldn't keep the ocean tides from washing them out to sea didn't have any kids. I'd check on some of the details in your little tale.

Like today, Faldom, their "kids" were but extentions of themselves, any single-sex microbe who got washed out to sea was an aspiring Columbus eager to conquer new lands.

And Faldome; do you do your checking to prove someone wrong, or to learn something new? Just asking. frown

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did check after spouting my mouth off and you were right. I'm still not sure if you were somehow trying to refute my comment about the two-dimensional slice of the tree,

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Not at all, Fabo.
As I understand your analogy of the tree slice and our inference of branches, it is (as the Brits quaintly say) "on spot".

Besides, speculation is the mother of invention.
Don't you think? smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That occurred to me after I got done reacting to your previous post. Now that we're singing from the same dictionary, how's your friend, Roger,
doing with his production?

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith