Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then, the standard slang definition of heater is 'gun'. I think we have to take the use of these words in this song with a grain of salt. I think they were chosen more for poetic reasons, for their assonance with "Jeepers, creepers."

J
veteran
veteran
J
So right you really are, Faldage.

Unless we are to dump the semantic rule of precedent we must accept the slang meaning of "heaters" as "guns" as well as "cheaters" for "eyeglasses".

I am surprised that Tromboniater and zmjezhd argue logic when we are talking language.
Of course, that is, unless we are talking nuance which is alltogether a different matter.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, in modern day slang guns can refer to biceps, who knows what guns might have referred to in the '30s.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny

we must accept the slang meaning of "heaters" as "guns" as well as "cheaters" for "eyeglasses".

Yes, because any one word can have one and only one definition, slang or otherwise, nor may anyone alter or reinvent definitions for (shudder) poetic purposes.

I am surprised that Tromboniater and zmjezhd argue logic when we are talking language.

But then, we use language to argue logic, so logically all discussion is pointless. Nuance, shcmuance; think I'll have some ice cream.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as long as we're trying (very trying) to get all logical about this, "cheaters" would seem to be sunglasses for some instances; you can see other people's eyes, but they can't see yours - that's cheating.

J
veteran
veteran
J
What are "heaters"?

RESOLVED : A UNION OF LOGIC AND PRECEDENCE

Special thanks to the tsuwms, the Faldeges, and the zmjezhds of this World, as well as the Tromboniaters, the LukeJavans and all other romantics of their World, for their small contributions in constructing this resolve.

I Mercer/ Miller wrote the lyrics for JEEPER CREEPERS expressly to effect a humorous interplay of meanings as Louis Armstrong sings a lovesong to a racehorse.

II The term "heat" in horseracing originated in the thermal heating of the horses especially in preliminary races.

III "When you turn those heaters on, woe is me. I got to get my cheaters on."
It follows that "turning heaters on" refers to the sudden burst of speed that a racehorse makes as it rounds the backstreach and "cheaters" refers to binoculars or field glasses.

Does anyone else have something further to add? smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh, that's wonderful.. except for the rest of the song he's singing to the horse about her eyes!

edit: btw, here he is

Last edited by tsuwm; 04/21/13 07:06 PM. Reason: link
J
veteran
veteran
J
Yes I know, master tsuwm. I think that is what I said. smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Sounds good to me.

I agree. Seems simple enough.
He aint putting them on to see better, he's putting them on to stop the brilliant glare.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes I know, master tsuwm. I think that is what I said. smile

mebbe so; but it's not all that you said.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith