Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was one of those 'unfortunate' kids who went through the 'amo, amas, amat' process at 11 years old, and contrary to any claims otherwise, it never did me any harm. Far from it, it set me up for an understanding and appreciation of European languages that I am sure would not have come about otherwise. I have an abiding passion in particular for Italian, surely the widest-spread of the nearest to Latin's surviving relatives.
I wish I could hear what colloquial spoken Latin sounded like spoken by Romans, and whether the strict rules of grammar as taught at school were ignored as widely as they are in modern languages - I'm sure they must have been. I wonder if those very rules were imposed by the Roman Catholic church, rather than by native Romans?

Sam

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" - 'Abandon all hope, ye who enter'.
Dante (Durante degli) Alighieri, "La Divina Commedia", "Inferno", c 1308-1321
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I believe the language taught as Latin in modern schools was strictly a formal upper class literary language. The language spoken on the street was Vulgar Latin with a much different grammar. The Roman Catholic church was definitely a Johnny-come-lately on the Latin language scene.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wish I could hear what colloquial spoken Latin sounded like spoken by Romans, and whether the strict rules of grammar as taught at school were ignored as widely as they are in modern languages - I'm sure they must have been.

You might want to find a copy of WS Allen's Vox Latina – a Guide to the Pronunciation of Classical Latin.

I wonder if those very rules were imposed by the Roman Catholic church, rather than by native Romans? If you look at the plays by Plautus, you'll see a bunch of dialogue that is quite different from Cicero's speeches. The pronunciation of Latin in the Middle Ages pretty much followed how the local vernacular language was pronounced. In the 19th century, philologists and linguists started to reconstruct how Classical Latin might've sounded.

The history of Latin is rather long and interesting. I am currently reading a book on the Pompeii inscriptions. The grammar is all over the place from literary quotations to things like "Lucius got laid here". Also, as I mentioned other places, Romans used a hell of a lot of abbreviations. It was txting that brought down the Roman Empire.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I had Latin imposed as well from age 13, for eight years
I studied it, or passed tests pretending to study. I guess
it never hurt me, and it definitely helped in my
understanding of Spanish, Italian, and French.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"You might want to find a copy of WS Allen's Vox Latina – a Guide to the Pronunciation of Classical Latin."

Excellent book. It asks, and answers, those burning questions: How do we know? and Who cares?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith