Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
#20764 03/08/01 04:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I leave this place for a couple of days and it turns into a free-for-all organ recital.

Thanks for the veg interlude, Sparteye.

bridget, yeah, it's just that. A tail. Heathens put it in soup and such. [ewww, indeed!]

#20765 03/08/01 05:00 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Please, please, please ... what is vindaloo?

Watching "Red Dwarf' a character keeps talking about curry vindaloo.
HELP .. it's driving me nuts.
Nutttier ... er...um....well...
wow

P.S. To AnnaS
This is geting rather long ... could you start another thread ... maybe Birthday, Thread Two ... that is, after someone explains vindaloo ???
Aloha

#20766 03/08/01 07:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
maize = sweetcorn

Not here in NZ. For us, maize is the type of corn used to make cornflour, corn chips, etc. No one that I know would ever dream of eating "maize on the cob." A friend of mine who died recently was largely responsible for developing and introducing several varieties of what were intially called "supersweet" corn to NZ, and he never called them maize either. One of them, honey and pearl, is actually too sweet for my taste.

#20767 03/08/01 10:02 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
OK, all ...
Switch this to "Party on the FOURteenth" thread started by Jackie in this category ... by suggestion of Jackie and AnnaS,
Just passin' the news along.
Old reporter can't resist a "scoop."
wow
Oh, somebody please send via private answer to vindaloo ? Please?

#20768 03/08/01 10:56 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: Nobody here calls corn "maize", except when talking to Brits to whom corn means any cereal grain, apparently.

#20769 03/09/01 09:22 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Wow

Vindaloo is actually two things.

1. vin daa loo

Spicy, fatty pork dish from Goa, incorporating the glorious Southern Indian coconut and spices tradition with the Protuguese pork culture and coming up with a sublimely delicious (f your palate and liver can take it) dish, that goes hand in hand with other Goan classic like sorpotel (shorrpo-thell) {almost exclusively diced cubes of pork fat cooked in a deep red 'sauce' of melted fat!!) and Goa(n) sausage - not like any other suasage I've seen, been a set of approximately one inch in diameter 'beads' of meat and spices wrapped in dried crackly 'skin' all held together by string (and you throw away the skin and string when you cook it). Recommended that these dishes be eaten with rice, a glass of cashew feni on the side (remember that every bodily juice will stink of this liquor for the next week)*, and followed up by the heavy, multi-layered unleavened cake called Bebinca (usually pronounced bay-bee(n)k).

2. vin duh-loo
Dish native to the UK, based upon the famous indigenous 'curry' cuisine which uses Indian names and a well-graded system of 'spiciness' to rank curries from mild through medium to hot. Vindaloo, along with Madras, is one of the hottest curries available on the standard curry scale. The curry industry is run primarily by immigrants from Bangladesh, and appears to consist of the creation of:

a. Sauce number 1 - orange, thick, mild, made primarily of tomatoes
b. Meat selection - diced lamb, chicken (pork for something exotic)
c. Style selection - chooped onions for 'dupiaza' dishes, melted butter for 'makhni' etc. And a 'quickspice' attachment, no doubt, to bring the dish up to strength on the scale.

Vindaloo is by way of being the national dish of Britain. Forget all you're heard of rosbif, or fish'n'chips in newspepr, recent surveys have shown that curry is without question the most popular cuisine in terms of restaurant numbers and restaurant visits/take-out orders, with vindaloo being the most popular curry strength. Now let's see the French say that English cooking has no flavour - we've got more than 7 distinct strengths of curry. So there!

cheer

the sunshine warrior

*Actually, though fenni is the native Goan liquor, it is foul. I recommend, rather, a cold bottled beer (nice, big 650 ml bottles in India), and if you're in a beach shack, do not feel ashamed to ask them to put ice in your beer. It'll hardly dilute the strength, since you'll be drinking it so quickly, but it will help keep it cool.

#20770 03/09/01 04:44 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Vindaloo
Many thanks, Shanks, for the straight dope on real Vindaloo. In this part of the world, Indian cuisine was virtually unknown 20 years ago but is now beoming quite popular, along with Thai cuisine. Vindaloo is always "lamb vindaloo". As prepared at our local Indian restaurants, it's chunks of lean lamb in a brown sauce, very hot with a complex blend of spices.

#20771 03/09/01 06:18 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Shanks, dear heart!
Thank you for clearing up The Great Vindaloo Mystery for me! It all makes sense now.

Serendipitously I have learned never to order it ...
In my youth I could eat nails and spit battleships but, alas, those days are gone.
Age Hath It's Privileges (AHIP) but spicey food is not one of them.
Thanks again
wow

#20772 03/09/01 06:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Everybody now go over to the thread
"Party on the FOURteenth"
started by Jackie and now resting at 10th place in the Info/Announce category .... requested by Jackie and others..
because this thread is waaaaay toooo long.

Respectfully submitted
wow

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith