Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, if you're going to look at it that way, the statement "the current King of France is bald", is neither true nor false but meaningless.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think it's neither true nor false and if meaningless only because there is no context. It is a healthy sentence.

No, I take that back. It is true. Just so. It only lacks a context.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/03/12 09:35 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A sentence doesn't have to be either true or false. "This statement is false" is a good example. Another one is that famous "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

Faldage #206328 07/04/12 04:42 AM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A sentence doesn't have to be either true or false. "This statement is false" is a good example. Another one is that famous "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

Yes. If only it weren't so easy.

Yes. If only it weren't so difficult.

When you start looking into meaning, intention, and truth, you run up against all sorts of folks who've been pondering these things a whole lot longer than us.

Of course a sentence does not have to be true or false (in the wholly logical sense). But, then again: all's I been saying is that logic has bugger all to do with grammar. Let's not lose sight of the OP. That's why I mentioned "situational semantics". And, also why, I brought fiction into things. You can dismiss these things all you want, but it's like not voting in an election: once you've decided not to vote, you don't get to kvetch. At least not without more meaning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #206329 07/04/12 07:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maybe grammer can go sleep in many vibrant colors now? Grammar and grammar are not one and the same thing all over this world. Philosophically maybe, but not in practice. I really like to see you bickering over 'what's not'. But when you bring in the OPs, where even looking UP does not help, I will go drink my Orange Pekoe tea.

OP

Last edited by BranShea; 07/04/12 11:56 AM. Reason: grrr.. :-)
zmjezhd #206330 07/04/12 10:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

When you start looking into meaning, intention, and truth, you run up against all sorts of folks who've been pondering these things a whole lot longer than us.

And some of them still seem to think that, just because we have words we're better off than all those animals that don't. And they still can't past those inconvenient little stumbling blocks like "This sentence is false."

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
just because we have words we're better off than all those animals that don't

You'll be happy to know that at least one philosopher does not think that language has anything to do with communication. His is a thin book, but I always lose steam halfway through when I try to read it. It helps that he's pretty arrogant and teaches German at UC Santa Cruz. "Lick the magic banana slug!"

And they still can't past those inconvenient little stumbling blocks like "This sentence is false."

At least old Gödel tried to address that one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Grammar and grammar are not one and the same thing all over this world.

See, you're getting the hang of it. What's the truth value of the quoted sentence?

So, when I use a word I know what it means and the rest of you know what you mean by that self-same word. That way, when I talk about peonies and paeans, you're thinking 'bout flowers and odes to Fruchtheit, but I'm thinking about posttransitive verbal clitics and anthologies of bloomenkvist, but it does not matter what we're thinking on, cuz those thoughts can never escape our addled brainpane.

Original Post.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #206333 07/04/12 03:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laugh This looks like an exam. Up to OP this was all constructive instruction, even though there was some quizzing involved.
Charles the Bold (de Stoute) was bold in Old Dutch, in modern Dutch he would be Charles (Karel) the Naughty. ( stout today = naughty, not bold)

This was explained to us in primary school to prevent giggles. It proves once more that the meaning of words as said before changes with time.

PS. The truth value is stable.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/04/12 03:31 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Um...I have struggled through all these posts, and glanced at the Wikipedia article, and at first I was quite confused because it seemed like zmjezhd was saying that because some sentence can't be verified as true, it therefore isn't grammatical. But then there seemed to be a switch to discussing logic...? A whole different concept, she said ungrammatically.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith