Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#20111 03/05/01 03:46 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It appears these upper class "parvenus" have never heard of Noblesse oblige.
wow

#20112 03/05/01 09:00 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>parvenus

Definitely U. No arrivistes were they and they had read the works of the Mitfords.

#20113 03/05/01 10:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear jmh: It has been quite a while since I have seen the name Mitford in print, and my encyclopedia does not mention them. Tell me, is it just the rhyme that make me remember only something about "dim witty" Mitford?

#20114 03/06/01 09:14 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Tell me, is it just the rhyme that make me remember only something about "dim witty" Mitford?

I don't recognise the rhyme but I think that Nancy was definitely witty and some of the other Mitfords were definitely dim. Do you know which Mitford it refers too?

I've added some information about the Mitfords in another thread as we may like to talk more generally about class and language.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=18975

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I've been thinking about this. Is there a British accent?

I think the accents are so regional, Hebredian Scots would be very far removed from City Banker English.

When we travel abroad would we be recognised as British first or as Scottish, Welsh or English? Or just by elimination ie not from the USA, not from Australia, not from New Zealand etc.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
In my youth, a "British Accent" was that used by BBC announcers - anything else was a regional accent. But I don't think one could argue that case any more, as you say, Jo. I was going to say that it doesn't matter so much in the UK, and that it is only people "abroad" who might wonder about a "British" accent. But in fact, the more multi-cultural this island becomes, the more one is aware of "foreign" accents being used.
For me, the question is, When does somebodies accent, which they gained in their country of origin, or from parents from off-island, become a "British Regional" accent? For instance, I don't think of the accent of people from the Indian sub-continent or the Carribean as "foreign" but as "regional" (or perhaps as "cultural") But mt Jugoslavian neighbours, who had lived in England for nearly thirty years, definitely had a "foreign" accent.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>When does somebodies accent, which they gained in their country of origin, or from parents from off-island, become a "British Regional" accent? For instance, I don't think of the accent of people from the Indian sub-continent or the Carribean as "foreign" but as "regional" (or perhaps as "cultural") But mt Jugoslavian neighbours, who had lived in England for nearly thirty years, definitely had a "foreign" accent.

I noticed earlier that someone mentioned Jamaican. I was going to say that the first words that my daughter heard when she was born in a London hospital was "doesn't she look like her daddy" said in warm, musical London-Jamaican accent by the midwife.

I think sounding "foreign" has more to do with words that are slightly mis-pronounced in the way that someone would if their first language is not English. Several of my friends have parents who moved here from Poland and their parents still sound "foreign".

There are now a number of people whose parents were born in India or Pakistan and who have very defined Northern English or Scottish accents. A good example is seen in the film "East is East". I'm still slightly thrown by this (yet know that I shouldn't be) as most of my friends with families from the Indian Subcontinent have (rather posh) Southern English accents. I suppose that this is part of the problem with racism. A person with Polish parents has a Lancashire accent and no-one can tell where they came from.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Speaking for myself and those I know in the Great Lakes area of the US, upon hearing a British accent, I will immediately classify it as Irish, Scottish, Welsh, or English. If the accent is "English," I will subclassify it if the accent is one of the better known ones, such as cockney or Liverpudlian. And, if the accent is that speaking-through-clenched-teeth accent of the upper crust, I might subconsciously ascribe class to the speaker. One thing I've learned in recent years is that the class distinctions in Britain are much more prominent than they are around here, and I get the idea that the accent says a lot more about one's station in life in Britain than it does in Michigan.

The single biggest distinction I can think of regarding speech patterns in this area is the use of the double negative. When middle and upper class Michiganians hear, "I ain't got no ...," the status of the speaker is immediately fixed.

#20119 03/06/01 02:33 PM
old hand
old hand
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man, with a respectable fortune, finds coitus fun. It need not be mentioned, since it is taken for granted in his case (and more and more so in the case of women too), but it may be worth while, from time to time, reminding ourselves of why we so often make the beast with two backs, violating our so-closely-guarded personal space and lack of desire of intimate personal contact: we wouldn't want our children to think we're ashamed of this activity, surely?

Jackie says:

I agree that there is a time and a place for crude language and behavior, and that most group settings, including work, is not one of them. In my opinion, this demonstrates one or more of the following: the speaker doesn't know any better, which is really sad; is demonstrating a lack of consideration for others, as though they are thinking, "My words offend you? Too bad for you, sucker!"; the speaker believes/hopes this usage will demonstrate the allegation that they are something they really aren't--similar to the effect young teens are trying to give by smoking.

In deconstructionist mode (oh, go on, indulge my pretensions, please) I thought I'd treat this text as an example. The use of the phrase 'crude language' instantly alerts the close reader to the idea that lurking behind the denotative patina of words is a strong connotation of judgement. The words are crude why? Here one is compelled to take a contextual stance. They are surely neither less euphonious than other words, they are often far more onomatopoeic, and their spelling is neither more nor less Byzantine than that of words with far greater respectability in the English language.

Are they, perhaps, then sacrilegious words? Are any gods, or religions, being referred to when the act of coitus is described in four-letter form (a word of ancient and respectable provenance, as far as we can tell)? Again, this is unlikely - there are few if any gods whose names, in English, are rendered as the acronym of 'for unlawful carnal knowledge'.

Vide our discussion regarding the pleasures of the flesh (above) it seems unlikely that this word refers to anything shameful either.

So whence the crudity?

The answer must lie purely in social context. The word is a shibboleth - a marker of distinction between one group and another. If one uses the word one is either in a very peculiar circumstance (of great stress or inebriation) or one comes from a group whose use of the word signifies some failing of mind in them (misogyny, lack of education, lack of aesthetic sensitivity, lack of social skills - you take your pick, mix'n'match).

In such a context, given the liberal nature of political correctness today (respect all cultures, do not discriminate against those with different practices and beliefs from your own, etc) can we justify the superiority of attitude inherent in the practice of describing a word as ''rude'' or bad mannered? Surely such judgements always redound upon the judge - as one who may not have expanded the compass of his or her tolerance sufficiently to accept differential speech practices of other groups?

This could, from being a purely linguistic analysis, expand to become one concerning the entire issue of liberalism, tolerance, political correctness and the like, but for this Board, perhaps thus far and no further should suffice.

cheer

the sunshine (in defence of fucking) warrior

#20120 03/06/01 02:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My sweet shanks, you said:
can we justify the superiority of attitude inherent in the practice of describing a word as ''rude'' or bad mannered? Surely such judgements always redound upon the judge - as one who may not have expanded the compass of his or her tolerance sufficiently to accept differential speech practices of other groups?

This could, from being a purely linguistic analysis, expand to become one concerning the entire issue of liberalism, tolerance, political correctness and the like, but for this Board, perhaps thus far and no further should suffice.

My dear sir, I don't believe that I said that that I don't
accept the "differential speech practices of other groups".
I meant only to indicate that I do not like them, a very different thing indeed. There are many things in my life that I accept while not liking them. If possible, I remove myself from the environs of such.

Perhaps I failed to make my main point adequately. I believe that the primary consideration for what is "crude" or not should be based on consideration for others' sensibilities. If I take offense at the floweriest of speeches, it then becomes crude. And if having consideration for others makes me "superior" to those who don't, why then, I must say that I think the adjective is justified.

A large helping of Dixie raspberries to you, sir!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 466 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith