Next Thread
Print Thread
#200 03/15/00 08:36 PM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I fired my girlfriend for "stirring it up." I thought I loved her. I even considered marrying her. I was really quite smitten by her. Then, she took me to a concert. Duran Duran was touring with Terrance Trent D'Arby. She was so classy. We were on the front row. She looked frabjous. Then, to my dismay and utter astonishment, while dancing, and along with the lyrics, she did the actions of stirring something in a pot. With her right hand/arm she was stirring something held in the imaginary pot held in her left arm (semicircular as if carrying a big bucket). I lost it for her. I couldn't respect her. Every positive perception I had for her vanished. It was chilling. She was so corny! I was mortified with embarrassment. Be it know to all men presents... DON'T STIR IT UP! We have all experienced this at one time or another. We may be stirring it up every day to some person. If one person's "stir it up" quirks match another person's "stir it up" quirks the two are made for each other and they will never be perceived as stirring it up in their mate's eyes. Love is beautiful that way. Until then, may we all tolerate those, who in our opinion, STIR IT UP!

"Words can have more meaning when used in combination." Brian Anderson. (I just made that up)! :-)

#201 03/16/00 04:31 PM
H
stranger
stranger
H
I think 'stirring it up' is derived from the original move,
first identified in great neck new york in 1988, and called, I think, 'churning the butter.' the difference is that when churning the butter you use two hands to churn an imaginary and oversized barrel of butter in front of you - moving your arms together in large circles (imagine drawing a circle on the floor with a broom) while moving your head in circles of the opposite direction....although I have not witnessed anyone 'stirring it up' I tried it (after first closing the office door) and think you should be thankful she was not churning the butter instead.

HM

HM
#202 04/04/00 12:53 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi,
There is an earlier use of this expression, in a more positive sense and the gesture on stage was probably silently quoting it:

ARTIST: Bob Marley and the Wailers
TITLE: Stir it Up

{Refrain}
Stir it up, little darling, stir it up
Come on and stir it up, little darling, stir it up

It's been a long, long time
Since I've got you on my mind
And now you are here, I say it's so clear
See what we can do, honey, just me and you
Come one and

{Refrain}

I'll push the wood, then I'll blaze your fire
Then I'll satisfy your heart's desire
Said I'll stir it, yeah, ev'ry minute
All you got to do, baby is keep it in and

{Refrain}

Source: Gunther Anderson
Best regards
wsieber

#203 04/04/00 01:35 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
here in st louis, this very same dance is known as "the bus driver"; this dance is one of the sure-fire ways to recognized someone else from there area. proof can be found in our popular media: in all the series of real world and road rules on mtv, the only person ever to do the dance was mike johson in the london real world. yep, he's from st louis.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith