Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pantry??

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Basically a kitchen storage room. I assume the pan- is from Latin bread, so it probably started as bread storage. I don't have one, but my grandmother's house had a large pantry which housed flour, sugar, bread, pickles, jams and jellies, etc., as well as dishes. The dish cupboards could be opened either from the pantry or the kitchen. The pantry also offered ready access to the root cellar.

Peter

Jackie #199508 04/30/11 01:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with bel and Peter.

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Dutch klaphout : klappen, to split, crack Oh, it's Branny's fault, then! wink
Seriously--klappen seems like it could have been onomatopoeic; wood splits with a sharp sound, a clap or a crack.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I assume the pan- is from Latin bread

Good guess. Middle English pantrie < Old French paneterie 'bread-closet' < panetier 'pantry servant' < pan 'bread' < Latin pānis. It's marvelous how words evolve: for instance butler from bottler.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It's marvelous how words evolve: for instance butler from bottler.

I'm not sure that I would have guessed that, although it seems obvious enough; I think I knew it somewhen, but had forgotten.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And bottler, not in the sense of somebody who puts beverages in bottles, but as in the guy with the keys to the cave who's in charge of all those bottles. OTOH, janitor, means the guy in charge of the door (or keys thereof) < Latin janua 'door, house door; entrance'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
YES...all interesting Zm

I once made the mistake of telling my son, that the pepper grinder was in the 'compliments' cupboard instead of the condiments cupboard and now its a family joke when ever someone goes to get something out of that cupboard, to utter a string of flattering words, when the door is opened!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I assume the pan- is from Latin bread

Good guess. Middle English pantrie < Old French paneterie 'bread-closet' < panetier 'pantry servant' < pan 'bread' < Latin pānis. It's marvelous how words evolve: for instance butler from bottler.

And in houses of the aristocracy, especially in Britain, did not
the butler keep the bottles to be served in a small closet
somewhere near the green door?

----please, draw me a sheep----
Candy #199538 04/30/11 08:31 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Candy
its a family joke when ever someone goes to get something out of that cupboard, to utter a string of flattering words, when the door is opened!

My family functions on the dark side of this. My wife, who rarely watches movies, once responded to a passing remark about Pulp Fiction in a way that made it clear that she thought we were talking about Newsies. I and our three offspring were helpless with laughter. Now the poor woman can't say anything about any movie without being hit with: "You mean Newsies?" In January I showed up at my daughter's house to stay with my infant grandson for a couple of hours, and made the mistake of announcing myself with, "Nanny Peter is here!" I'm rather afraid that the baby will learn to call me that, because his mother thinks it very clever to remind me of my ill-advised usage.

Last edited by Tromboniator; 04/30/11 08:31 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith