About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Faldage

As for lay vs. lie, in my experience that's the way most people say it these days. It doesn't seem to me that your job as an actor is to be an arbiter of word choice.

We all have our quirks and foibles, and many of them are pretty harmless when we indulge them. One of mine is to be word-perfect in my delivery of lines in a play. I scarcely think that a rare act of rebellion constitutes being an arbiter of word choice.

In my experience, directors are fairly free with changing words, deleting or transposing sections of dialog or whole scenes; some actors paraphrase liberally. I'm not terribly ashamed of altering one little vowel sound.

Avy #198391 03/19/11 09:57 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Avy

Peter, you said there were places where you were uncomfortable with the playwrights choices in dialogue; has there been any instances where you were uncomfortable with the playwright's choice of action for the character? Have you ever had your study of a character not fit one action that the writer has him do.

Being uncomfortable with an action is a far cry from not having it fit. If the play is going to work, then all of a character's actions have to fit, no matter how convoluted the shaping process. It's my job, with or without the director's help, to figure out how to make it fit. It doesn't have to be rational: the character may not be rational; but the actions have to fit the character, the character has to fit the actions. If I can't justify my character's action, then I'm not reading the character right. That, in conjunction with figuring out how the character says the lines, is far more work than the memorization of lines or blocking.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Talking about plays, acting and getting words perfect, Peter
Luke thought you might be interested in this.....

NEW TURBO ENTABULATOR  

Last edited by Candy; 03/22/11 12:11 PM. Reason: re posted data
old hand
old hand
Interestingly, that link takes me to a Gmail error page; however, a Google search found it. There are several versions to choose from, but it's a rather nicely done bit of work, whichever you choose. The fellow has done his homework on getting the lines right, but I think he needs to spend more time coordinating the parts he mentions with the diagram and the model. sorry, but I've been in directorial mode for the last several weeks, and we're getting down to the nit-picking stage.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I enjoyed it.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
The fellow has done his homework on getting the lines right.....

And so have you.

I don't know why the link isn't working because it did two days ago...maybe its because it came from my email, I don't know wink
but glad you enjoyed it. As soon as I saw it I said 'Peter should see this'.

I have tried to fix above post/link

As an actor..it must be the hardest to deliver a 'deadpan' performance and carry it off.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think of teleprompters.

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Candy

I have tried to fix above post/link

As an actor..it must be the hardest to deliver a 'deadpan' performance and carry it off.

Thanks for fixing the link: I liked that version more than the ones I watched last night, especially the second speaker's reference to a WUPD2 (whoop-do-doo). Apparently those people recorded versions for a lot of different companies. Luke, they may have used a teleprompter or similar aid, but as often as the description of the device was recorded, I would guess that the fellow knew his stuff. It's difficult to pull off some of those nonsense words and phrases without great familiarity.

Yes, Candy, delivering ridiculous material is quite a challenge, particularly if it still seem funny after many repetitions. It's hard enough if an audience starts laughing, but if a fellow actor loses control (unforgivable!) it's a severe test. I would think that doing a performance for video would be difficult because those off camera would not be under the same constraints as those on, so that even if they managed to stifle audible outbursts, the actors could still see their physical responses.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry for the mislead. With teleprompters I was speaking
more of politicians, and we know they don't rehearse.

----please, draw me a sheep----
C
C
Originally Posted By: Faldage
[quote=TheFallibleFiend]

Personally I find double spacing between sentences in proportional fonts much easier to read.

"Hmmmmm..." Sherlock Holmes said puffing on his pipe. "She's in her fifties...vision so telling..."

Last edited by Cowboy_Monkey; 04/28/15 03:16 AM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith