Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
I remember reading an interview with an actor once where he said (I'm paraphrasing here) "well my mate, he gave me this script and it said - scene in bar, talk, offense, bar fight (improvise everything else) - and I was well up for that, so yeah that's why I chose to do this film"

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Talking of actors and pubs: this is Al Pacino's favourite joke as told by Johnny Depp: a skeleton goes into a pub and orders a beer and a mop. ROTFLMAO
Edited to add: this joke has such pathos.

Last edited by Avy; 03/02/11 02:14 PM.
Avy #197858 03/02/11 02:18 PM
addict
addict
HAHA I love that joke...I have heard it but couln't remember how it ended...I always forget to say the mop but I start laughing and people look at me funny - they think I am laughing at a skeleton in a bar...

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
In a play or movie the tension doesn't have to show up on the page, that's what actors and directors are for! The sooner the actor gets rid of the page entirely, the better for everybody.

Hi Trom. Just asking: when tension does show up on page, do you as an actor get put off. Do you think the writer is treading on your territory. I"m asking because I have till now thought tension in written dialogue is a good thing. I want to know whether I was wrong in thinking that.

Avy #197874 03/02/11 04:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Avy
Talking of actors and pubs: this is Al Pacino's favourite joke as told by Johnny Depp: a skeleton goes into a pub and orders a beer and a mop. ROTFLMAO
Edited to add: this joke has such pathos.

ROTFLMAO; I think we had this before on the site, but
I forgot what it means. I don't text and that may be the
reason.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I had access I'd give you a button reading:
"Luke's Translator". Thanks.

Avy #197949 03/03/11 07:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Avy

Hi Trom. Just asking: when tension does show up on page, do you as an actor get put off. Do you think the writer is treading on your territory. I"m asking because I have till now thought tension in written dialogue is a good thing. I want to know whether I was wrong in thinking that.

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are asking:

ROLLO: (Stunned, eyes widening, he slowly sets his coffee cup onto the table) You told her what?

is too much from the playwright. In a screenplay? I don't know, I've only done one movie, with the writer in the lead role and buddies with the director.

ROLLO: (Stunned) You told her what?

is probably too much: the dialog makes it obvious, and it's up to the director and the actor how best to fit it to the style of the production.

The way it actually looks on the page is irrelevant. As zmjezhd says, the text is just text, not a play, any more than a score is a symphony. It's a map, not the terrain itself.

My favorite director usually tells us to ignore the playwright's stage directions.

Last edited by Tromboniator; 03/03/11 08:10 PM. Reason: Addendum
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting contrast.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
That I agree with. The writer has no business writing stage directions anyway -IMHO. I meant the tension in the dialogue - in writing the words of the dialogue to create tension/emotion. Sometimes the words of some playwrights are so strong I wonder if they leave no place for the actor to work. Do you prefer dialogue that works just for the plot rather than strongly suggests the character because character is what you will do and the strong suggestion in the words of the dialogue gives you no room to experiment. It is easy for a writer to nail a character so that there room left for pluralism.
If I am not clear enough, I'll just drop this.
I enjoyed reading your example. Funnee. smile
I wanted to ask another question about acting, and acting is about words and langauge...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith