Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#19663 02/23/01 06:12 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
one use Discover Card number for you. The program tells Discover whom you intend to pay (but not how much, I believe) and Discover creates a card number and inserts it in the proper space. You can then send it unsecured because only the merchant they already have associated with that particular number can "use" that account number. SLICK!!!

Agreed. When I first read of the one-use credit card number, I was very impressed, and can only hope that Visa adopts a similar scheme soon.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
..I do not give my SS as an "identifier"

Yes-- Stolen ID's-- are becoming a bigger and bigger problem-- SS#'s are not supposed to be used for id purposes-- but my college used it as my ID#, and some HMO's do the same--and lots of people who have no need for them ask for them.

Once i had to go into US state dept. office (US Mission to UN) and they wanted my SS# to run a "security check" -- i asked for head of security department-- and told him SS# can not be used for this purpose-- he rolled his eyes, and gave me a weary look- and said--Ok, you pass your civics test--your right-- but i have a job to do..

Police demand to see SS card when you are arrested-- and enter number into court records! Public documents! and since Birth certificates are also public-- bingo-- with some effort-- some one could look up birth records- get "mother's Maiden name"- the other "key" with social securty# to your fiscal identity!-- I am normally not too paranoid-- but somethings make me crazy!

No WOW, you're not alone!

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
No WOW, you're not alone

Thank Heavens! And special thanks to all who responded to my tale so kindly. What scared me was she was not alone, even in her State.
When I spoke to the Officer later he said the problem has increased exponentially in last five years. Scary.
The Discover card one-use number sounds good ... but I shall await developments.
(Cautious old coot emoticon)
On the back of the SS card I had way back in the 1940s, it was printed that it was federal offense to use Social Security for identification. Does anyone know if they changed that federal law?
I tell that to people who ask for mine !
(Glad others do too.)
Sometime in the mid-1960s (Viet Nam war years) the Armed Forces stopped using military "serial number" and changed to SS number. I still remember my late husband's "old" serial number. My Dad, uncles and brothers could reel off thiers at will. Once learned never forgotten.
(Betcha' wwh can remember his!)
Of course the military requires giving up many of the privacy rights enjoyed by civilians!
Could it be the military started something that was taken up by other institution?
Excuse me while I go write my Senator and Congressman ...
wow

B
B
Could it be the military started something that was taken up by other institution?

I think it has more to do with computer systems databases
Your SS# is only yours(Hah), it's really only the last 4 digits.

The college I work for it is also the student ID, creating file problems for our alien students. Your only number is not correct for all those who are or have gone through process of becoming a citizen.

I had to get them for Girls as soon as they were born so the state could keep track of some my student aid stuff. Next year I will do a search on all 3 of our numbers for social security earned, to make sure mine is still fixed & there has none.

In the early 80's the IRS figured out that SS administration had issued my origanal # to 5 women of assorted ages, in different areas of the US. Our first,last & middle names, birth day & month were the same. At least the first one sort of made sense even our fathers first & last names were the same(both very common)

It's made me slightly paranoid about SSA information, not that I expect there to be any money for me or the girls to collect when were of age.

CJ

CJ
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In Massachusetts, your Social Security number is also the number on your driver's licence. No way of keeping it secret. I have seen several horror stories about identity theft, and it does seem that the police are insufficiently helpful about solving such problems

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
In Massachusetts, your Social Security number is also the number on your driver's licence.

Not just that. When you get a sales and use tax number for business, it's your SS# also. Imagine giving a business your SS# just to loose the tax! I haven't used mine for purchases because of that... I need to get a federal number ASAP. (You can do the same for the driver's license too).

Ali

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Posters:
I received a Private from a member who was upset by my writing : On other hand, perhaps some lean, tough years taught me to be more money conscious.
The Poster thought I meant my statement as a criticism of younger folks. Please believe that was not my intention.
If others were offended by what must have seemed to them to be a pretentious statement, I apologize for any upset caused.
wow

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My Dear Wow~

*i* just wanted to state, for the record, that reading your post made me think just a bit about my capricious attitude towards such things. (funny... my husband can say it til he's blue in the face, yet when a relative stranger mentions the importance of banking security it somehow takes on greater importance... but then, you're a stranger whose wisdom i admire )

as for any of your posts being offensive... no worries! we have Sparteye for that!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Seian. This is a pretty strange land, all right!

wow, you said, received a Private from a member who was upset by my writing : On other hand, perhaps some lean, tough years taught me to be more money conscious.
The Poster thought I meant my statement as a criticism of younger folks.

Well now, this sounds to me like someone was a little bit paranoid. There was no ref. to age, at all. And rather a lot of young adults have had "some lean, tough years", too.

Also--I hope there was a private joke/explanation behind that remark about Sparteye, none of whose posts I have found to be offensive.

Perhaps we could lighten up a bit, folks?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There most definitely was a private joke... or i owe Ann a PM... i was referring to her *hilarious* picking up of the gauntlet in another thread. (Ann.... you did realize that, right???)

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 707 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith