About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I have been told that the main reason why $2 bills and 50-cent coins are rarely seen in the U.S., although plenty were issued, is because there is no slot in the drawer of a cash register for them...

Funny, I've always heard that it was due to the tendency for collectors/packrats to hoard them.
My guilt is not only implied, it's admitted.

And jmh, I'm with you. Bills are smelly.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Bean asks Also, why do we use dollars in Canada and not pounds (ditto for Australia)?

In Australia we initially adopted the British pounds-shillings-pence system which was in use until decimal currency was introduced in 1966 (14 Feb 1966 to be exact - I can still recall the TV ads with a cartoon character called Dollar Bill). I presume they chose "dollar" rather than "new pound" or some such to avoid confusion.

1 pound converted to 2 Australian dollars. Initially there were 1c,2c,5c,10c,20c and 50c coins, then notes for $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, not sure about higher denominations. [As an aside - 50c coins were initially pure silver, but when the value of the coin dropped below the value of the silver people started melting them down, so they changed the metal!] Many years ago when inflation had eroded most of their value, the 1c and 2c coins were phased out. Prices are still quoted to the nearest cent but totals are rounded to 5c. The next development was replacing $1 notes with coins, then $2 notes with $2 coins. Like Max I rue the fact that they opted for a $2 coin smaller than the $1. Then came plastic notes instead of paper. Oh and there are also $50 and $100 notes (and probably higher but I never see them!)

The old names bring back faint memories for me :-
florin, shilling, sixpence, threepence (pronounced throopuhnce with a short 'oo'), penny, halfpenny (pronounced hayp-ny) and farthing (=1/4 penny; this one was out of circulation in my time). Some of these had nicknames too - "zack" (sp?) is one that comes to mind, but I don't know which one it is.

But what the heck is a "rahzoo" (sp?), as in "I haven't got a brass rahzoo"? Is that a widespread expression?

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
there is no slot in the drawer of a cash register for them, ($2 bills)

I'm surprised some company hasn't tumbled to the fact that they could market new inserts -- for a price, of course -- and even whole new cash registers!
Where is that great American entrepreneurial spirit for making an honest buck?
wow

old hand
old hand
In reply to:

Where is that great American entrepreneurial spirit for making an honest buck?

Or two, to be more precise!

J
old hand
old hand
J
Sure would make the $1 US coin easy to distinguish from the US 50-cent piece which is nearly the same size.
Oh, for the non-USA coin collectors out there, the US Mint is currently making coins commemorating all the States's entry into the Union. Featuring the state seal on each coin. Legal tender. The Northeastern states, being first in the Union are now available. The 50 coins will be made in batches and the entire 50 state set available in, I believe 2005.

Actually, the 50 cent piece is quite a bit bigger. It's strange how we don't make the coin sizes in order of value. The nickle is bigger than the dime. The one dollar coin is almost the same shape as the quarter, and when you're searching in your pocket with your hand you can't really tell the difference that much. They did facilitate that by making the dollar coin have smooth edges compared to the quarter's ribbed edges. Part of the favor for the bill as opposed the coin is that you may not want coins weighing down your pocket, but a guy will always have his wallet with him because it has his drivers license.

And about the 50 State Quarters Program, they're releasing 5 each year, (one every 10 weeks) so it will conclude in 2009. The ones out so far are Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York. North Carolina is next. (And they would be so presumptuous as to put "First Flight" on their license plates and now their coin when the Wright brothers developed the plane and lived their whole lives in Ohio! . . . maybe we'll put astronauts on ours. More astronauts have come from Ohio than any other state. John Glenn was even our senator. )

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks JazzO for straightening out the info re coins.
On subject of coin sizes :
A friend who is a neurologist uses a standard old test for patients .. you are asked to close your eyes and identify the coin he places on your fingertips ... the coin size helps a bit but people's guesses soon deteriorate .
He told me that he was amazed just once : when an older gentleman patient named every coin correctly through a triple length test. Turned out the gentleman was a retired fare collector on a bus line. Being able to identify coins by touch was a necessary part of the job. He could spot a "slug" by touch alone!
Now there's a party trick if I ever heard one!
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Identifying objects by feel is "stereognosis". Funny with all the other "stereo" words my dictionary did not have it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>or any two dollar piece at all

Oh yes, I knew one of those "ladies" once.

OOOPS. Sorry. Wrong forum! I thought it was A Whore A Day.

TEd
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

a guy will always have his wallet with him because it has his drivers license.

I was vaguely under the impression that the US term for a wallet was billfold. Is there a difference between the two?

Bingley

Bingley
P
addict
addict
P
<"zack" (sp?) is one that comes to mind, but I don't know which one it is.>

Zack was sixpence, Marty, and a razoo was [according to Syd Baker] a non-existent coin, sometimes a brass razoo, as in "I haven't a razoo" (I haven't any money). There was also a skerrick (a small sum of money), but used negatively as in "I haven't a skerrick".

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith