Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
bexter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
TABA is The Hobbit...my father used to call it TABA because the title of The Hobbit is actually: The Hobbit, or There and Back Again hence the TABA...I assume he found it funny to hear a five year old calling to read 'TABA' as a bedtime story...we used to take turns reading...one night I would read a bit to him for my bedtime story, then my father would read a bit to me as my bedtime story...

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, the Hobbit, as the Hobbit movie is not yet ready and even though the motion pictures are entertaining the whole tale is far more enchanting when you read it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of Arwyn, it was Arwen who was Aragorn's enamorata. Arwyn is a Welsh name and the Y is properly pronounced like the I in it. There may well be some non-Welsh speakers who pronounce it like a long I but that's no more the "correct" pronunciation than is "Kate Linn" the "correct" pronunciation of the Irish Caitlin, (cat leen).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It took me a while to understand Bex's use of TABA.
Then he told me: it is the HOBBIT; THERE AND BACK AGAIN.

Yes, Avy, start with the Hobbit, especially before the two
movies come out, and then LOTR. I hope you love it as much
as we do.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Speaking of Arwyn, it was Arwen who was Aragorn's enamorata. Arwyn is a Welsh name and the Y is properly pronounced like the I in it. There may well be some non-Welsh speakers who pronounce it like a long I but that's no more the "correct" pronunciation than is "Kate Linn" the "correct" pronunciation of the Irish Caitlin, (cat leen).

Thanks for that bit of history, I was actually wondering which syllable is stressed in Arwyn, because pronunciation seems to depend of stress, if Ar-is to be long vowel [aar], then -wyn has to be unstressed, hence y->[i].

But as for myn and myne, we have only one syllable, so no stress factor. I propose to find other examples of short words with _y_ structure so we can see if y is ever pronounced [ai] smile

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

as we do.

I will fish this thread back up again when I am done and report on how I liked it. Thanks y'all.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: elifit

Thanks for that bit of history, I was actually wondering which syllable is stressed in Arwyn, because pronunciation seems to depend of stress, if Ar-is to be long vowel [aar], then -wyn has to be unstressed, hence y->[i].

I don't know about the stress structure in Welsh, but the W is a full-on vowel. Arwyn is pronounced something like Ahr-oo-in.

[quote=elifit]

I don't know about the stress structure in Welsh, but the W is a full-on vowel. Arwyn is pronounced something like Ahr-oo-in.

You mean W in English? It's a semi vowel so yes it can act as vowel in certain conditions. Do you mean that Ar-w-yn has 3 syllables? and you pronounce w as [u]?? Makes sense, shall we take Ailyn then?
Ai-lyn has two syllables. First syllable accented, hence long diphthong [ei] and shwa or short [i] in the second, right?
Anyway, I meant that unstressed syllables act as shwas or short vowels, so it's best to come up with short words with the _y_ structure. wink

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Avy
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

as we do.

I will fish this thread back up again when I am done and report on how I liked it. Thanks y'all.

I look forward to your report. It is so nice to share
things that are enjoyable.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: elifit

You mean W in English? It's a semi vowel so yes it can act as vowel in certain conditions. Do you mean that Ar-w-yn has 3 syllables? and you pronounce w as [u]??

No, the W in the Welsh language. In English I would pronounce Arwyn with two syllables, Ahr-win, but if I were attempting to pronounce it in Welsh I'd give it three syllables, Ahr-oo-in.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith