Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
The family name was Toyoda* but a numerologist convinced them the car would sell better as Toyota.

Yes, indeed, but then it's a transliteration, if that's the right term, from Japanese characters, so many a westerner might never know the difference.

By the way, do you know what they built before getting into building automobiles? You'll be in stitches when you find out!

#19534 02/22/01 12:34 PM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
Did they run the "Put a tiger in your tank" campaign... in other parts of the world.

Of course, they did, but here in the States, it violated the Endangered Species Act, and, besides, cat fur is hell on fuel injectors.

#19535 02/22/01 01:10 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
wow wrote:

I wonder what answers we would get if Canadians were asked about USA ? That's not meant as a zinger, but aside from the folk in cities along the Cannada-US border, friends who have visited "inland" Canada have been surprised by misinformation and misplacing concerning US cities and states! Meanwhile, do they sell tapes of the 22 Minute Hour shows? Have they a web site? I'd love to see a sampling.

What I feel is the difference is not so much knowing WHERE a city/state is, but having heard of it at all. If you were to tell a Canadian that Canada is bombing Vermont (to use a reverse example), we would know that you were kidding. We might not know just where Vermont (or Oregon or Nevada or Tucson or Little Rock) is exactly, but we know they are in the US somewhere. And that we wouldn't likely be bombing them! And EVERYONE in Canada knows that the US has a president, not a prime minister or a king or queen. (Even though some may not be concerned enough to know WHO exactly the president is!) You have to remember that we get half our TV channels and most of our sitcoms from you guys, so all the passing references to cities, states, people, become familiar to us. But since our Canadian-made shows are few and far between, and most probably don't get exported to the US (except some notable ones like Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High, You Can't do That on TV), the passing references to Canadian landmarks and government are never heard by Americans.

I think, in the end, some people, Canadians, Americans, and otherwide, just don't care much about geography. One thing that ANNOYS me is that all our friends back in Winnipeg think we can so easily come back and visit them. Well, it costs between $700-$1000 round trip by plane from St. John's to Winnipeg for one person. Or we could drive 4500 km (nearly 3000 miles), including a 14-hour ferry ride, and take almost a week to get home to visit! A quick hello-goodbye and we'd be on our way back again. Guess what - on a student's pathetic salary, with my husband only working part-time because that's all there is, it isn't going to happen!

As for a web site, try http://www.22minutes.com. Looks like you can buy tapes, and at $12.95 Canadian ($0.10 US, ha ha, just a little bitter about our weak dollar) they would be a great deal! They do have streaming video of the now-infamous rant about the leader of our right-wing party, Stockwell Day, and the move to have him change his name to Doris by a "citizen's initiative". You have to see it to get it. Anyway, for a good laugh you (plural you) may want to have a look!

#19536 02/22/01 06:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>so they decided to change the name and came up with Exxon.

Actually,I don't think it was Esso at that point. By changing the name to Exxon they proved that a big oil company did not have to be Humble.

TEd
#19537 02/22/01 07:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
was a totally made-up word that a panel of linguists certified as having no meaning in any major language. Or so goes the conventional wisdom.

TEd
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith