Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
From today's word of the day email, in situ is defined as meaning in the original place. It seems more like a prepositional phrase to me. Perhaps somebody can gently educate me on why it's an adverb.

veteran
veteran
The phrase also seems to be used by paleontologists as an adjective to describe fossils found where in the same strata they were originally embedded in. You can google the term "in situ fossils."

Example usages at

http://en.scientificcommons.org/33282359

and

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1502-3931.2007.00029.x/abstract

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's a prepositional phrase but it's being used adverbially. Does that work for you?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use this word several times a day, in my job, but didn't realise it was two words. Its always written as insitu. Usually to described where a patients dentures are (after surgery and returning to the ward).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Candy
Usually to described where a patients dentures are (after surgery and returning to the ward).

And that would be where? In a glass by the side of the patient's bed? In the patient's mouth? Stomach?

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Originally Posted By: Faldage
It's a prepositional phrase but it's being used adverbially. Does that work for you?

No it does not. It does not seem to me to be being used in an adverbial way. My initial reaction to this was more of a gut response, but I consulted a grammar reference that pointed out a rule to the effect that a preposition without an object can be an adverb, while a preposition with an object is just a garden variety preposition.

Hence in the command "Go inside," inside is an adverb according to this rule. But in the command "Color inside the lines," inside is not an adverb because it has an object. I argue that the Latin expression in situ carries with it its own object, situ, and is therefore not an adverb, or least does not appear to be. AWAD provided the usage as "The sound engineers came to record the nuns in situ." It seems to me that in situ here is analogous to any of the following prepositional phrases, all of which have objects:

1. The sound engineers came to record the nuns at the convent.
2. The sound engineers came to record the nuns in the sanctuary.
3. The sound engineers came to record the nuns in the cloister.

I can't think of a way that in situ could be used in a way that is analogous to saying "Sit down" or "Take off," but I'm open to the possibility.

As an aside, in situ is generally used as an adjective, as in the difference between invasive ductal carcinoma and ductal carcinoma in situ, or the difference between in situ testing and laboratory testing. If you re-wrote the AWAD usage example as "The sound engineers performed an in situ recording of the nuns," then the expression in situ clearly modifies the noun recording and not the verb to perform.

Finally, I find the above rule regarding the presence or absence of an object to be stupid. It really fails to distinguish between an implied object and the true absence of any object. If someone says "Go outside!" they clearly mean "Go outside the building in which you are currently located." To say that outside is modifying the verb in the way of a garden variety abverb like quickly is to cast a wide net regarding what constitutes an adverb. It seems much more logical to simply ask if the prepositional phrase really tells us something about how the verb is being acted out. For example, take the following two sentences:

1. Bob waited for the elevator with a heavy heart.

2. Bob waited for the elevator to the flight deck.

In #1, the prepositional expression modifies Bob's act of waiting. There's an object but with a heavy heart is a figure of speech that modifies the verb here. It is along the same lines as saying that he waited anxiously, or that he waited nervously. In #2, the prepositional phrase clearly modifies the elevator, not Bob's act of waiting.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 11/16/10 03:16 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with Faldo on this one. One way of determining a part of speech (word class, lexical category) is by form. They're those words that end in -ly in English. Another way is by what slots they fill in sentences "I found the book ___". The former is the older grammatical tradition, and the latter is the newer one. If you limit adverbs by form, you get a bunch of exceptions like fast, yesterday, etc. The slot method just seems better suited for a language like English which is not overly burdened with inflections, such as Greek or Latin.

If, I say: "I found the gold hoard in situ", it is answering the question "where did you find the gold hoard", and that pretty much seems like an adverb to me. Those who prefer the the by form method of identification usually also have problems with constituents (sentential units) consisting of more than one word. For me, prepositional phrases can be adjectives or adverbs, or used adjectivally or adverbially.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Honestly, I don't think you've addressed my points at all. And Faldage merely said it was a preposition being used adverbially. He didn't say why or how, and you're just saying that you're with Faldage.

Clearly, prepositions and preopisitonal phrases can be used as adverbs, and I provided some examples. I just don't think that in situ really qualifies, either by the rule of having an object or not, or by the rule of "if it sounds funny to hell with it." Given that in situ translates as "in the place," it clearly has an object. So unless somebody can show me a usage that is akin to saying "Get out," "Go west," or "Drive south" then I'm unconvinced of its claim to adverbial status. I would also accept a usage that met my own criteria, one that had an object but still clearly modified the verb itself.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
Given that in situ translates as "in the place," ...

Wrong... at least in catalan...
If I say Vaig veure l'accident in situ (I saw the accident in situ) that means I was in the wright place at the wright time, that is, when the accident happened.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>So unless somebody can show me a usage that is akin to saying "Get out," "Go west," or "Drive south" then I'm unconvinced of its claim to adverbial status.

"What shall we do with the artifacts we found?"
"Leave them in situ."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith