About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In this case, I used threshold and lower limit interchangeably - as there was only the one limit. The verb is still the (minor) problem.

"Sub" is interesting. I wonder if there's a "sub" word that corresponds to "exceeded." Subduct seems like it should work, but geologists already use it. Also it kind makes it sound like the boundary moved instead of the measurement across the boundary. I could try and see if my editor or colleagues would easily infer the meaning.

"The lower limit was subducted."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think you will be widely understood if you use "exceeded the lower limit" to mean going past - in fact, constructions of this sort seem to be used far more often than any other; e.g., surpassed.

or you could just "go past" the lower limit.

I think you don't usually need to be concerned with going in the opposite direction; if you are, then you need to be more circumspect in your discussion anyway!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about transcend? Unlike exceed is only has the notion of crossing the limen, not surpassing it. Underpassing?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
yea, I considered "transcend," but was worried it might be confusing. Underpass is one I had not considered. That might do.

OTOH, maybe using a few extra words here and there is okay, too.

old hand
old hand
I've been reading this, and trying to figure out exactly what you mean. I interpret you quest in 2 ways: A) how to say that something was within the threshold, but then dropped below it, and B) how to say that something never reached the lower limit of the threshold at all. The first has me more stumped. The second could simply be expressed "The threshold was unattained/unreached/uncrossed". I like "unattained". This does fit your original example, but I still can't tell if it's what you mean to say, or if you mean choice A...

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Choice A.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Isn't interesting how many words 'say' the same thing but never quiet in the way we need then too. We are always looking for 'just the right one'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The way I've been looking at this is that FF has in mind:

A) a situation where there is a limit that must be gotten above before whatever is accomplished. This is the normal "exceeding the threshold."

2) contrariwise, there is a situation where there is a limit that must be gotten below before whatever is accomplished. Given the root definition of threshold in English, I would say that that is not the word to use in this situation. All due respect to Nuncle, but I don't think that the Latin limen is a good translation for the English threshold.

Þ) I would suggest dropping the threshold word entirely and starting over, just with the term lower limit.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and, not to be repetitive (well, okay, to be just that), you've gone past (passed) the lower limit.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think that the Latin limen is a good translation for the English threshold.

It's the only word I know for threshold in Latin. What would you suggest take its place? Or did you mean that limen is not an English word? My discussion of limen was merely a digression, and I always found it interesting that Latin had one word that covered two English words, i.e., threshold and lintel.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith